Notices

Offshore racing on CBS

Old 11-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Motocross is way more popular than offshore racing!!!!!
Old 11-10-2009, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by organizedchaos
Motocross is way more popular than offshore racing!!!!!

I was wondering why that is, don't get me wrong I know that Motocross is more popular the Offshore Powerboat Racing and is Televised. Could it be that the fans get to see continuous race action right in front of them and there is a group of racers battling it out at ever turn and jump. Do you think that Offshore Powerboat Racing could be more popular if they raced close to the fans and where the fans could see the entire race course up close to them.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:41 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AB From Windsor
I was wondering why that is, don't get me wrong I know that Motocross is more popular the Offshore Powerboat Racing and is Televised. Could it be that the fans get to see continuous race action right in front of them and there is a group of racers battling it out at ever turn and jump. Do you think that Offshore Powerboat Racing could be more popular if they raced close to the fans and where the fans could see the entire race course up close to them.
In a word no. Motocross is much easier to explain and a MX bike is much more attainable to the average household. The manufactures are marketing savvy and engineering driven. The racers at the top can make a very good living rather then having to spend several very good livings.
Steve
Old 11-11-2009, 07:15 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jayboat
Ok, but his goes in the comedy section.
Do I amuse you?

Do you think I'm funny?

No, no. seriously...am I here for your amusement?

Beware....many truths are said in jest.......

T2x
Old 11-11-2009, 07:19 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Wahoo ATV
I would not call Motocross a "2nd tier" motorsport. Top riders are making in excess of $30mm annually and their entire indoor season is televised on a major network in primetime.
Point taken...but it and its stars are certainly not at the same level as Sprint Cup, Indycar, or Formula One....so they are a level below...... hence...."second tier".

And...for purposes of my enlightenment...which riders (plural) are making $30 million annually?

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 11-11-2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ricky Carmichael is the only person that I could think of that could bring in that kind of dinero(but dont know) from motocross, but his transition over to car/truck racing has been uneventful. As great of a motocross racer that he was/is, he has basically become a field filler for the Camping World series with occasional Nationwide race. The one thing he does have going for him is the Monster sponsorship that came over with him from motocross.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by smiklos@sunprint
In a word no. Motocross is much easier to explain and a MX bike is much more attainable to the average household. The manufactures are marketing savvy and engineering driven. The racers at the top can make a very good living rather then having to spend several very good livings.
Steve
Yes Steve, that does make a lot of sense.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:16 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Phil M
I am laughing so much my side hurts - You have a way with words- always did - even in the Helicopter - why else did I turn off the audio when editing ? I knew you would do the best job - no need to edit you - right down to Dave Gilmore and up close and personal ! haha ! All I had to do was to say - "your on " meaning tape is rolling - you took it from there -

Offshore has an ICON in you - for sure - you could never be replaced - and we all are grateful to you for all of what you have said and written - and right up to this moment we still enjoy your commentary - even about Aunt Blanche ! haha !

We did over 240 events - all made interesting by your voice and ideas - I remember often you would see things out front of the helicopter - and your advice as to where to go - and where the action was, was invaluable ! I fondly think back to the days - when we worked together -

If you get to Key West ( am not going - more tests unfortunately) - say hi to the many people that were our clients back then - They made what we did possible -

Stay well Richie - u da man !

Phil

Phil:

I'm not "da man". We were a great team..... and the result was probably some of the best footage.....and some of the worst... (emergency landings here and there).... that the sport has ever seen. All in all it's a body of work that we can be proud of and stands up to anybody's library.

What I am most proud of is the interviews of those racers who have passed away (or were taken away). While the "other" guys didn't have the time and, frankly, the access to the top racers, we were always welcomed with respect and graciousness. I'd like to think that's because they knew we'd risk damn near everything to get the closest action shots with the best equipment and talent, while telling the racing story with honesty, enthusiasm, knowledge and integrity.

The NNRT Team and the racers were the "Icons"....... I was simply the story teller.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 11-11-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Integrity!

What a concept...

Where could offshore powerboat racing be if that was a principal instilled into it's nature!

Coach
Old 11-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T2x
Point taken...but it and its stars are certainly not at the same level as Sprint Cup, Indycar, or Formula One....so they are a level below...... hence...."second tier".

And...for purposes of my enlightenment...which riders (plural) are making $30 million annually?

T2x

Ricky Carmichael for sure and Chad Reed turned down a $30mm total comp package down in 2007/08. I would also not be surprised if Motocross has a higher TV rating than Indy car or Sprint Car. I do not believe either of those two have their entire season televised. I'm not even counting all the MX/SC off shoot shows like the Red Bull Free Style tour and TV or the X Games etc.

For Offshore to ever get close to this level we would need to bring the fans closer to the sport via television, on board cameras, big personalities, younger drivers, more air shots, more crashes and a way to control attendance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.