Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Best Way to Change Oil Filter Without Making a Mess? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/219572-best-way-change-oil-filter-without-making-mess.html)

BowenCT 11-04-2009 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by spectras only (Post 2985684)

Bowen , he has upside down filters like I have >

Oh wow, nevermind me. Haha....:lolhit:

ZP'd 11-05-2009 08:11 AM

Either crack the filter till you break the seal or puncture the top of the filter. Wait a few minutes and use a glad sandwhich bag over the top of the filter to catch any small amount left once you spin it off. No mess proof.....

Big Time 11-05-2009 08:42 AM

OK...next part of this question. Do you people fill your oil filters before putting them back on? How do you not make a mess when putting it back up? For me it literally been a balancing act....one hand holds a bucket underneath the oil filter, the other hand quickly turns the full filter over and I start screwing it on as fast as I can....am I missing something? Is there an easier way?

VetteLT193 11-05-2009 08:49 AM

If the filter has an anti-drain back valve how does puncturing the filter do anything?

I tried the puncture method the last time I did my oil. I waited and it never drained. It did drain when I got the filter right side up though, so I effectively had oil coming out of both ends. a little bit out of the normal end and a lot out of the holes I just made.

On the 2nd engine I skipped the puncture method and just put a couple of paper towels around the base of the filter and did it quick. no problems, minimal mess.

I can see how the puncture method would work if there is not an anti-drain back valve, it just doesn't make sense if it has one to me, and in practice it didn't work. If anyone can explain, please do.

spectras only 11-05-2009 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by VetteLT193 (Post 2985828)
If the filter has an anti-drain back valve how does puncturing the filter do anything?

I can see how the puncture method would work if there is not an anti-drain back valve, it just doesn't make sense if it has one to me, and in practice it didn't work. If anyone can explain, please do.

In a perfect world and a prefect oil filter , if you wait a little after shutting the engine off there should be no mess removing a filter eqipped with anti-drain backvalve . However I do puncture the top of the filters before I remove it , because I prefer not using too much paper to clean off any droplets,lol.In the normal position, the filter is hanging down and the oil will stay in the filter without any help. However, when they lay it down or mounted upside down like Mercury does , it is necessary to build the filter with an anti-drain-back valve in order to hold the oil in the filter. If the valve doesn't seal good, the oil will leak out overnight and it takes several seconds the next day before the oil pressure comes up.
Ps; Big time , I do fill my filters before I put them on .I pour some in and , turn the filter upside down catching some oil in a bucket before spin it on the adapter. No biggie .

Big Time 11-05-2009 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by spectras only (Post 2985959)

Ps; Big time , I do fill my filters before I put them on .I pour some in and , turn the filter upside down catching some oil in a bucket before spin it on the adapter. No biggie .

Yeah, I guess there is no magic trick to getting it back on w/out losing some of the oil in the process.

Phazar454Mag 11-05-2009 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Big Time (Post 2985980)
Yeah, I guess there is no magic trick to getting it back on w/out losing some of the oil in the process.

The magic trick is put the new oil filters on without oil, and then use your preluber pumps to fill up the oil filter and generate oil pressure before start up.

Sydwayz 11-05-2009 04:22 PM

Puncture the filter with a screwdriver that is the length of the filter (no longer) and it will pop the valve too. Works like a champ.

wananewboat 11-05-2009 08:33 PM

Be sure to check for the gasket. I left one on an old ski boat and blew 5 qts. on the rug. What a mess.

pstorti 11-05-2009 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by BGIII (Post 2985606)
All I do is crack the filters loose a bit and let them sit while I pump the oil out. By the time that is done, I just spin them off and they are empty. No mess what so ever. This is with 502 Mag MPI engines

+1