Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Sonic 31ss 2001 engine doesn't want to start, fuel pump issue? >

Sonic 31ss 2001 engine doesn't want to start, fuel pump issue?

Notices

Sonic 31ss 2001 engine doesn't want to start, fuel pump issue?

Old 04-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sonic 31ss 2001 engine doesn't want to start, fuel pump issue?

Needs some help, I have twin 454's and after running my boat for a short time, or a longtime and shutting boat off my left motor doesn't want to restart. I will attempt to start and it may take a few tries or 30 minutes and it will fire up. My rpm gauge for left motor differs over a1000rpms when I throttle up, but catches back up once I get on plane. I have cool fuel system just pulled it off and am going to replace fuel pump, is this the culprit? Also should I replace fuel regulator as well while I have it out? Any help or experience with this problem would help .
Old 04-03-2011, 07:28 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like vapor lock. The tach reading off is probably the tach itself, especially if its a faria. Tap on it and see if it drops. Before you throw parts at it, check all the lines for looseness, a loose clamp can cause that problem. Have you tried feeding that engine from the other tank? Do some vapor lock searches in the tech forum, there have been a lot of threads on it.