Notices

No Reserve

Old 11-10-2009, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Reserve

I don't know if it's just me but I FUKCING hate when people on ebay put NR or No Reserve in their listing and start the bidding at more than it's worth or at blue book. No Reserve means the bidding starts a 0 and you get what you get. Just like at Barrett Jackson, they start the bidding at what they think is fair but it could go down. I wish Ebay would make the bidding start at 0 when you put that in the title or if there is a book value on it start it at 50 % of it.

Sorry for the rant but I would never buy anything from somebody that does that no matter how much I want it, or if it was still a good deal.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

nope . . . right with ya. Its so F'in stupid to see in big huge azz letters "LOOK NO RESERVE!!" then the starting bid is some ridiculous price. What the F*#! is the point of that. Personally i think its a good indicator of the seller and thats about when i close the screen
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 11-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Registered

So would you rather them start the bidding at .99 and put some ridiculous reserve on it? Atleast when they put a price in there, you know what you can buy it for or perhaps less. I would personally rather see that, than some outrageous reserve price. Most of the people that do that just use ebay as cheap advertising with no intention of actually selling on ebay. Just my 2cents...
Old 11-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Registered

No way I would put either of my boats on no reserve wiyh this crazy boat market. I do think some are not to savy on market value and some people are turkey hunting.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

My pet peeve is no reserve, insanely low opening bid, then have friends bid the price up to where they want it. There's a dealer that does it often with their boats. I always check % activity with this seller, helps expose the bs. As said above, its an indicator of a seller you don't want to bother with.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by soonenough
So would you rather them start the bidding at .99 and put some ridiculous reserve on it? Atleast when they put a price in there, you know what you can buy it for or perhaps less. I would personally rather see that, than some outrageous reserve price. Most of the people that do that just use ebay as cheap advertising with no intention of actually selling on ebay. Just my 2cents...
Did you read what I wrote ? I could care less what they put the reserve at just don't put NO reserve then have one. No means NO, none, not any. No Reserve is why Barrett Jackson is so good, you know your not going to get junk and if it is it's going to sell for what it's worth not what you the owner thinks it's worth. I am fine with people selling their stuff for what they want but if you use the words ( NO RESERVE ) then it starts at 0.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts

If you REALLY believe the "Barret Jackson" marketing of no reserve, man I feel for ya, but you are living in a bubble. There is more "made for tv" deals going on there than possible any other place in the country added up...

Sorry to burst your idea.

As far as Ebay, at least, you know if you bid at the No Reserve opening bid on ebay, your chances are better it is a real sale.

JMHO
Old 11-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Registered

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/event...gnment/faq.asp

A buddy of mine took 2 Camaros out there about 3 years ago a orig. 67 and a resto mod 68 he figured he would get about 125k for the the 2 of them. I looked at the cars and found things on them I didn't like and I am not a Camaro guy. After all the fees were paid he got out with 65k. They didn't even make it to the big stage after their people looked at them. They were very cool cars just not good enough to put in a No Reserve auction
Old 11-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts

I don't disagree with you, I have ran a number of my cars through the hoops of Barrett Jackson, Mecum, etc....

All I am saying is what you see MAY not be what is really transpiring.... Just because it is a No Reserve Auction, does not mean there is not a person/group of people, looking out for the Value" of the car to reach a certain point...

And SOLD may not always mean it is going to a new owner...

But there is no disputing, Barrett Jackson auctions are the best place to sell if you have a top shelf, desirable car. THEY will pull from the best buyers in the world!

Last edited by bajaholic; 11-11-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bajaholic
I don't disagree with you, I have ran a number of my cars through the hoops of Barrett Jackson, Mecum, etc....

All I am saying is what you see MAY not be what is really transpiring.... Just because it is a No Reserve Auction, does not mean there is not a person/group of people, looking out for the Value" of the car to reach a certain point...

And SOLD may not always mean it is going to a new owner...

But there is no disputing, Barrett Jackson auctions are the best place to sell if you have a top shelf, desirable car. THEY will pull from the best buyers in the world!
Yes true but I can only look at the ones that we see on TV, I more look at the stuff that stays out on the lot that normal people can buy, it's still better than driving/flying all over to look at stufff. That being said you still see one every few hours on the big stage that the bidding go's down on.