Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   The best 25-28ft boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/219898-best-25-28ft-boat.html)

shu-dog 11-17-2009 12:00 AM

2001 28' Pantera
Dual 496
White n PURPLE

Pantera make a great solid boat. I sold my 24' and want a 28'.
http://www.yachtauctions.com/listing.php?vessel=4207

Griff 11-17-2009 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Indy (Post 2991130)
He wants a cabin, I haven't been in the Apache or Saber, but the Pantera's cabin is half the size of the cabin in the boat he's considering. Saber is a flat deck and is probably the same as the Pantera but that's just conjecture on my part since I haven't been in one.

He's also a lake boater, those are rough water boats you've recommended.

Half the size of what??? a 28 Nordic???? I don't think so. My 28 Pantera's V berth is almost exactly the same size as my 32 AT V berth in all aspects. The AT has more height in the couch area and has a sink/console and enclosed head.

The 28 Apache cabin is about the same size as a 28 Pantera, but about 6-8" taller.

northernoffshore 11-17-2009 01:07 AM

http://miami.en.craigslist.org/brw/boa/1426986705.html

Indy 11-17-2009 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 2991475)
Half the size of what??? a 28 Nordic???? I don't think so. My 28 Pantera's V berth is almost exactly the same size as my 32 AT V berth in all aspects. The AT has more height in the couch area and has a sink/console and enclosed head.

The 28 Apache cabin is about the same size as a 28 Pantera, but about 6-8" taller.

Ever been in the Nordic? I've been in both...alot. Not even close. Pantera has a flat deck, the Nordic's is crowned a good 8" (that's a guess). The Pantera has no freeboard either, but it's a much better rough water boat by far, however the OP is boating on a lake and rough water capability is not an issue. I had the 28' Nordic in my waters which are rough, it wasn't the best purchase so I sold it after a few years, I should have bought the Pantera. However the workmanship/tooling/gel/fit & finish of the Nordic is FAR better than the Pantera but the Nordic's design is better suited for the waters from where it's built...lakes.

TexomaPowerboater 11-17-2009 09:56 AM

Lakes have rough water too. In some cases (3-5ft) they can be more brutal than the ocean due to less space between the waves . I've been beat up on the lake for 18 years, now I'm the one beating up the lake.

Any 28ft boat with a "bigger cabin" will have a smaller cockpit, and vice versa. It comes down to preference.

sunsation96 11-17-2009 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by cabin fever (Post 2991119)
Thanks for the info everyone. I have been in Florida since Wednesday, and away from a Computer, so I just read through all this, and am soakin everything up.

My dileama right now, is that I am about to inherit some money, but the paperwork won't be finalized for a couple months. (have to sell house, assest, etc) so I am kinda "loking" right now. My boat, and houseboat are sold, and that money is just sitting, so unless I find something that is too good to pass up, it will most likelly be after the new year, before I pul lthe trigger. I am continueing to look every week though.

my favorite is the nordic heat. its the one boat I just keep coming back too. I really like the lines. I have been looking at the one in Washington, but the hours kinda scare me. and the fact that its in Washington. Found a similar one in the midwest for not much more, with much less hours.

I appreicate the offer on the seeing the Sunny in person. I may just take you up on that. How is the cabin on the 288's? My wife's only requests were a nice cabin. We will probably overnight, or weekend on it, quite a bit

I really appreciate all the info.
-shane

The great thing about the Sunsation is the 288 and the 32 have the smae size cockpit which is nice to have the room.

Griff 11-17-2009 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Indy (Post 2991524)
Ever been in the Nordic? I've been in both...alot. Not even close. Pantera has a flat deck, the Nordic's is crowned a good 8" (that's a guess). The Pantera has no freeboard either, but it's a much better rough water boat by far, however the OP is boating on a lake and rough water capability is not an issue. I had the 28' Nordic in my waters which are rough, it wasn't the best purchase so I sold it after a few years, I should have bought the Pantera. However the workmanship/tooling/gel/fit & finish of the Nordic is FAR better than the Pantera but the Nordic's design is better suited for the waters from where it's built...lakes.

Yes. I'll agree the cabin is a quite a bit taller and I have posted many times about the low freeboard of the Pantera.

As far as the Sunsation's, the cabin on a 288 is smaller than a Pantera and about the same height.

ZP'd 11-18-2009 10:48 AM

I appreicate the offer on the seeing the Sunny in person. I may just take you up on that. How is the cabin on the 288's? My wife's only requests were a nice cabin. We will probably overnight, or weekend on it, quite a bit

Anytime, just holler if you want to get a GOOD look at one. It's sitting on boat dollies in the garage for the winter so no issue in seeing it if you both choose to. P.M me for my phone # to see it sometime if you'd like. Home pretty much every weekend thru winter and I'm doing a deck off restoration on a little Checkmate so I'm always messing in there anyway.
My wife and I overnight every weekend on ours. Room enough, but it's no condo by any means. No 28' will be though so IMO the little difference in cabin room you'll see, should be a very low priority when shopping . You can sit in the lounge seats without hitting your head if your not over I'd say 6' tall. V-berth has room for two as long as you love your wife. :drink:
Nordic was in my top 3 to see when we shopped as well. Liked the lines and it was the first 28' we looked at, but too many downsides in regards to what was important to me when compared to the Sunny.

30ctsutphen 11-20-2009 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by ChristianGott (Post 2990776)
though i own an i/o boat, i think the 26 sutphen w/ o.b.'s is the way to go...great hull, low maintenance, good speed (70's)and economy...although i did consider the sonic 26 for cockpit depth, the sut w/ o.b.'s thinks it's a bigger boat...especially w 380 k planes....one in MD was listed at under $17k...that's a deal.

Heres a nice sutphen rum runner. Its mine.LOL

http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/7802

Cristian is right about the 26 with OB/s very good boat and it does think its bigger, Unfortunaly it doesnt think its a 39 and thats what I really want. maybe a 34 but definately a SUTPHEN!

My family has owned a 20 26 and a 30 sutphen I need to try out the rest too.

You absolutly cant beat the OB/s though. larger cockpit for entertaining on the water, good balance, Looks and feels like a longer boat with a nice stand off box easy to work on while standing up rather than being a contortionist, and best of all NO ANTIFREEZE for winterization. sure dpnt miss that crap.

I was die hard I/O guy until I owned this boat and Now I Look exclusively at O/B boats.

ChristianGott 11-20-2009 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by 30ctsutphen (Post 2993754)
I was die hard I/O guy until I owned this boat and Now I Look exclusively at O/B boats.

So...you're going to tierra verde?
That 34's sweet, 'eh?
c