Notices

The best 25-28ft boat

Old 11-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The best 25-28ft boat

Currently searching for the perfect boat.

My limitations are less then $40K
Must fit (including trailer) in less then 34ft garage (actually have 36ft, but need a couple extra feet to move around)

In your opinnons, what is the best all around mix of performance, ride, and cockpit / cabin room

My short list includes
28 Heat
25 outlaw
288 Sunny
280 velocity
27 fever
Assuming equal Power (say 496HO, or 502) which is the better (again, this is personal preference) boat.

Not trying to start huge fight either, I know everyone is loyal to their brands. My problem is that since I am in the middle of the midwest, there isn't a lot of these around, and arranging rides, isn't an easy thing to do, so any reserach I can do before I buy, the better.

I would really like to hear from anyone that has been on, or around these models, and get their input.

also feel free to throw out any other brands, you think might be worth while.

thanks
-Shane
Old 11-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Registered

Default Laveycraft

You might want to check out LaveyCraft. They build a superior product thats quality is second to none. I would suggest either the 24NuEra, 26NuEra, or the 2750NuEra for you. They run a twin stepped bottom that is fast and efficient for all water types. Check out there website and give them a call, most down to earth builders in this market, and a family business.

www.laveycraft.com

Jeff or Chris Camire
Old 11-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 200 Likes on 79 Posts

Check out this site under Products.....there is the History of the 28 footer.

www.bananaboatco.com
Old 11-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Registered

My vote would be the Heat. Maybe not the fastest in your list but not the slowest either. By far the biggest cabin and great lines. Cockpit area has plenty of room as well. I really liked the one had, moved up to a Flame for a while and now have an Inferno. There is a lot of Heat owners in the Nordic section that will be glad to share info with you. Good luck!
Old 11-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Registered

That "history" article he is talking about...
http://www.bananaboatco.com/history-28.htm
Old 11-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Registered

I like the Heat and the Sunny the best. Especially since they have the mid cabin open bow.

However, for less than $40k - you might want to look hard at a Baja as well.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 851 Likes on 312 Posts

I had a 28 Heat and chose it over the 27 Fountain which turned out to be a no brainer. You did not tell us where you boat? Since you're midwest do you boat on a small lake or Great Lake? The Heat will do OK on 3' and less, above that you need a 24 degree transom deadrise and a sharper entry. The cabin in the Heat is bigger than most 30 - 33s, it's exceptional. Watch out for the Nordic trailer though, if you dunk it in salt water it's a true piece of sh!t. Workmanship on the Nordic is outstanding to say the least. I got 68 out of the Heat with a 496HO and 24 prop. Messed with labbed props and different pitches but none got me above 68 with the stock 24p and I did lose cruise with the others.

The only other one from your list I was on was a 27' Fountain...way smaller boat, it's probably a 24' at best and is very cramped compared to the Heat.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:45 PM
SOX
Semper Fi
Platinum Member

What about Checkmate's? They don't seem to get much respect, not sure why. I don't know much about them but seems to me that they have a loyal following and the gel work is supposed to be real good.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:48 PM
Registered

Great info guys. Keep it coming.

I really like the Nordics lines. Its the "one" boat I keep coming back to. I live in Iowa, so fresh water only. Boat mainly on smaller inland lakes. Make an occasional trip to LOTO.
I am coming from a 22ft crownline, so anything is gonna ride better then what I had. LOL.

Question on the heat,
how do peeps get on the bow? Through the hatch I presume?
Old 11-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by KSims1868
That "history" article he is talking about...
http://www.bananaboatco.com/history-28.htm
Very cool article, thanks for sharing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.