Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Maintenance with a Whipple (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/220094-maintenance-whipple.html)

Cat & Mice 11-17-2009 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Neverfastenuf (Post 2991677)
Mike, how goes it???? How is Todd Kelson??? Have not heard anything about you guys in years now. Like you dropped off the boating radar screen.

Sam

Sam, Its going pretty good. You know, living the dream!!

I was going to build another boat but things slowed down and kind of changed my plans. I built a motor but never put it in anything. So now I am trying to sell the motor, its a 1000hp Whippled Teague 509.. I have been around boating a little this last couple years. Mostly Powell or Havasu with friends. It's nice to have buddy's with boats :-) That being said I sure miss owning my own. I dream about my next boat a lot.

Todd is god but has not had a boat for awhile either. He gets down to Powell sometimes though. Todd's brother Wade moved to Havasu so at least we have a cheap place to stay now.

How the heck have you been?

MP

Neverfastenuf 11-17-2009 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Cat & Mice (Post 2991697)
Sam, Its going pretty good. You know, living the dream!!

I was going to build another boat but things slowed down and kind of changed my plans. I built a motor but never put it in anything. So now I am trying to sell the motor, its a 1000hp Whippled Teague 509.. I have been around boating a little this last couple years. Mostly Powell or Havasu with friends. It's nice to have buddy's with boats :-) That being said I sure miss owning my own. I dream about my next boat a lot.

Todd is god but has not had a boat for awhile either. He gets down to Powell sometimes though. Todd's brother Wade moved to Havasu so at least we have a cheap place to stay now.

How the heck have you been?

MP

Mike, great to hear things are well for you. We have been extremely well, thanks. Business has been better than ever.

I am in snowmobile mode now. Have a couple of turbo sleds we are dialing right now and another being built. Boating has not really been a priority lately either for us. Did not even get the boat wet this year. A shame, i know. Way too many other activities.

Sam

bert4332 11-17-2009 11:24 PM

Well I was trying to determine if there was substantial costs and engine wear by adding one. For example if I just refreshed a 500 efi with 300 hrs and added a whipple would that cut the life of my engine? Would I need another refresh a lot sooner than if I did not have the SC? It seems from the feedback received that normal maintenance is really all that is needed, that surprised me, what then is the disadvantages of having one? It seems to me zeroing in a proper prop and a whipple are the two most economical ways to increase performance.

thanx

SkiDoc 11-18-2009 05:28 AM

It would require more maintainence than without the SC. You will putting more stress on all the rotating components, they will wear faster. How much faster depends on how the engine is run. Giving you a number of how long is a flat out guess. With that being said, with E.F.I management of detonation and A/F ratios reasonably good longevity is the norm not the exception. I think this is the most efficient way to get that kind of usuable, reliable marine HP. Just look at the offered packages from Merc. and other builders.