Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Maintenance with a Whipple (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/220094-maintenance-whipple.html)

bert4332 11-16-2009 11:29 PM

Maintenance with a Whipple

If you put a Whipple on a 502 with say 300hours on it, intending on running it medium, not killing all the time, but having fun once in a while, how does that affect maintenance and maintenance intervals?

thanx

Griff 11-17-2009 01:04 AM

What kind of maintenance are you talking about????

Oil changes should be done every 25-30 hours and probably spark plugs once a year. Change the blower lube every 25-30hrs as well for added protection.

Racerngr1 11-17-2009 02:12 AM

I would think you would want to do the drive lube at the same time you do the oil changes too.

Rattlesnake Jake 11-17-2009 05:27 AM

If you just bolt it on without doing MAJOR head work you're asking for trouble. Is it EFI??

Cat & Mice 11-17-2009 10:59 AM

I put a Whipple on my 502 back in 1999. I put about 150hrs on it and never had an issue. I changed the oil in the spring and once during the season. the guy that bought it from me put over 500hrs on it and never did anything but oil changes.

It had a bravo 1 with no issues. It was a Eliminator 28 Eagle V.

I didn't change anything on my heads either. Can't imagine why not doing anything to your heads would make it more of a problem?

MP

animalhouse 11-17-2009 11:14 AM

We installed a pair of whipple chargers on otherwise stock merc. 525's, and ran very hard. Never had any issues to speak of. Maintenance should be top priority, oil changes, and supercharger oil changes are very important, as well as checking valve lash.

If you don't perform maintenance, you will be performing repairs, but that goes for anything.

Rattlesnake Jake 11-17-2009 11:20 AM

How much Boost did you run??
650 Hours on a SC engine with no issues is pure luck, or it wasn't run HARD.

Neverfastenuf 11-17-2009 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Cat & Mice (Post 2991655)
I put a Whipple on my 502 back in 1999. I put about 150hrs on it and never had an issue. I changed the oil in the spring and once during the season. the guy that bought it from me put over 500hrs on it and never did anything but oil changes.

It had a bravo 1 with no issues. It was a Eliminator 28 Eagle V.

I didn't change anything on my heads either. Can't imagine why not doing anything to your heads would make it more of a problem?

MP

Mike, how goes it???? How is Todd Kelson??? Have not heard anything about you guys in years now. Like you dropped off the boating radar screen.

Sam

BLee 11-17-2009 12:02 PM

You'll be better off with the Whipple, than if you installed a "roots" blower. The Whipples are much more efficient, and much easier on the engine than the blowers of "old". Doing head work isn't completely necessary, unless you're wanting to really turn it up. I would probably have the heads redone just for piece of mind if it were my boat. Make sure you have a good tune, and good timing as well.

You should see a HELL of a difference!

Cat & Mice 11-17-2009 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Jake (Post 2991667)
How much Boost did you run??
650 Hours on a SC engine with no issues is pure luck, or it wasn't run HARD.

It was whatever Whipple recommended, I can't remember what is was.

And I meant to say it had over 500hrs on it not 150 plus 500, sorry.

I think it may have ended up with almost 600hrs though.