Whipple 600sci upgrade documentation

Notices

Whipple 600sci upgrade documentation

Old 11-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whipple 600sci upgrade documentation

This thread will document the Whipple upgrades to my Merc 600sci, along with dyno numbers.
These upgrades will also work on the 662sci and 700sci motors.

As many of you know from my testing posts on props, spacers, and Whipple upgrades, I ended up with a Whipple Stage II upgrade on my merc 600sci. This is a great product, which took my 09 Nordic, open-bow, Heat from a stock 80-81 mph to 91-92 mph with a best of 93.3 on GPS.

For this winter, I pulled my motor out and drove it down to the Whipple compound for R&D on upgrade Stages III, IV and beyond.

For those who don't know... here are the stages of upgrades:

Stage I is a PCM re-program along with a water re-route to the innercooler.

Stage II is the above with the addition of a smaller pulley.

Stage III will be the addition of a Whipple proprietary cam.

Stage IV will be the additon of a 4.0 Whipple supercharger.

Stage V ... yet to be determined

Dustin will also be working on water and innercooler upgrades.

Now for the good stuff:

The stock 600sci made a consistant 579-581 hp at 5400 rpm. This is with the standard SAE correction factor that Mercury uses. -- pretty pathetic!

Next, Dustin installed a PCM with the Whipple Stage I tune that he has been using for the last year or so.

This initially made 669hp at 5850rpm... pretty good for a re-program... but Dustin thought he could do better because the motor was really rich above 5400rpm.

A fuel re-curve in the PCM brought horsepower to an even 700 at 5800rpm. -- Wowser! This is about 120 hp over stock!
Talk about an easy horsepower upgrade!

Tomorow, he will be installing the Stage II pulley and making some more dyno runs.

I will let you know how it goes,

Chris

Last edited by CB-BLR; 09-20-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:54 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

cool,lets see some #'s . go ahead and start at the top.the 4.0 with a 2.75 top pulley
Old 11-18-2009, 11:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread CB, looking forward to more numbers. I have a 600sci as well, thinking about stage2 sometime.
So what is the water re-route on the intercooler for? Was there an issue with temp or pressure?
Old 11-19-2009, 08:15 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Hey Chris, This is great info. I am putting 600s in my new active thunder. As soon as the warranty is up i wanted to talk to someone about upgrading mine. Keep us posted. Thanks
Old 11-19-2009, 10:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CB-BLR
This thread will document the Whipple upgrades to my Merc 600sci, along with dyno numbers.
These upgrades will also work on the 700sci.

As many of you know from my testing posts on props, spacers, and Whipple upgrades, I ended up with a Whipple Stage II upgrade on my merc 600sci. This is a great product, which took my 09 Nordic, open-bow, Heat from a stock 80-81 mph to 91-92 mph with a best of 93.3 on GPS.

For this winter, I pulled my motor out and drove it down to the Whipple compound for R&D on upgrade Stages III, IV and beyond.

For those who don't know... here are the stages of upgrades:

Stage I is a PCM re-program along with a water re-route to the innercooler.

Stage II is the above with the addition of a smaller pulley.

Stage III will be the addition of a Whipple proprietary cam.

Stage IV will be the additon of a 4.0 Whipple supercharger.

Dustin will also be working on water and innercooler upgrades.

Now for the good stuff:

The stock 600sci made a consistant 579-581 hp at 5400 rpm. This is with the standard SAE correction factor that Mercury uses. -- pretty pathetic!

Next, Dustin installed a PCM with the Whipple Stage I tune that he has been using for the last year or so.

This initially made 669hp at 5850rpm... pretty good for a re-program... but Dustin thought he could do better because the motor was really rich above 5400rpm.

A fuel re-curve in the PCM brought horsepower to an even 700 at 5800rpm. -- Wowser! This is about 120 hp over stock!
Talk about an easy horsepower upgrade!

Tomorow, he will be installing the Stage II pulley and making some more dyno runs.

I will let you know how it goes,

Chris
Are you planning on proping the boat higher to bring down the rpms or is Dustin saying ok to run the motors at those high rpms (taxing motors) If so to run high rpm than at what amount of hrs. they recommending top end and bottom end refresh
Old 11-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Chris
Gold Member

Originally Posted by gnorthga
Are you planning on proping the boat higher to bring down the rpms or is Dustin saying ok to run the motors at those high rpms (taxing motors) If so to run high rpm than at what amount of hrs. they recommending top end and bottom end refresh
Dustin should be chiming in here soon with some dyno charts etc... he can answer this for you.

But my thought on this is that Merc only making 580hp on a supercharged 502 is pretty darn de-tuned (pathetic). I have made more hp than that on a naturally aspirated 502.

5800 rpm is not really pushing this motor. It is only 400 rpm more than stock.

Chris

Last edited by CB-BLR; 11-19-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Registered

What about refresh?
Old 11-19-2009, 06:30 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Originally Posted by socalstone
Great thread CB, looking forward to more numbers. I have a 600sci as well, thinking about stage2 sometime.
So what is the water re-route on the intercooler for? Was there an issue with temp or pressure?
The water re-route was to pull water off the main line right after the raw water pump, instead of off the power steering cooler in order to get cooler water to the innercooler, and thus make more and safer horsepower.

Chris
Old 11-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Here is a video of the 700hp pass on the Whipple dyno:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BTsMEudtCw

Chris

Last edited by CB-BLR; 11-19-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Picture of my motor on the Whipple dyno:
Attached Thumbnails Whipple 600sci upgrade documentation-whipple600sci.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.