Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anyone Ever Heard Of A 16 Superboat >

Anyone Ever Heard Of A 16 Superboat

Notices

Anyone Ever Heard Of A 16 Superboat

Old 11-24-2009, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

p.s anyone know of an oldy like that let me know. gotta be a budget piece or some one looking for a good home for an olddy,
Old 11-25-2009, 07:39 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by monstaaa
are those merc 125's. seems like alot.
gonna try to find a merc 85 xs, one of those old hi-perf engines. its for my girls and i think that will be more than enough to go bay bomb with.

They were 1250 BP racing engines (about 130 hp each) with speedmaster lower units.... My point was simply that the hull can take more power than you might think. On the other hand, with today's new engines and prop shaft rated HP an 85will give you all you want and more (figure 60 or so).

Good luck, and enjoy your boat.

T2x
Old 11-25-2009, 08:00 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
I raced the original 16 Eltro with George Linder as co- driver in the APBA Marathon Nationals (6 hours) in 1969 at Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia. We had a pair of Merc 1250 BP's on the boat....

60 hp seems tame......
TWO BP Merc's!!! Wow, that must have been one hell-uva bota before it delaminated. That must have been a pretty wild ride, how did it handle?

I remember when my father had one of those Merc's on the back of his Carlson Challenger I had mentioned to you before.
That was one stout outboard back then. It used to make the Sanger flatbottom crowd very upset.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

my girls had a 13 whaler for 2 years then i built a 16 checkmate /75 merc for them in the spring .they used it 2 times .didnt like that they couldnt climb all over it with sand on there feet or pull it up on the beach.sold it in sept. should have cept the whaler http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/a...ec1969/109.jpg http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/a...ec1969/063.jpg http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/a...ec1969/008.jpg
Old 11-25-2009, 02:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

The 16 Super is a center console. not sure if you already knew that or not.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:03 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Smarty
TWO BP Merc's!!! Wow, that must have been one hell-uva bota before it delaminated. That must have been a pretty wild ride, how did it handle?

I remember when my father had one of those Merc's on the back of his Carlson Challenger I had mentioned to you before.
That was one stout outboard back then. It used to make the Sanger flatbottom crowd very upset.
It actually handled pretty well. We put big tabs on it to keep it level and a single seat with a 100 gallon aluminum tank behind it. It also had a bow ballast tank. The problem was as small as the hull was it couldn't begin to compete with the bigger Switzer Wings, Jones, Sidewinder and Molinari hulls of the day. We about beat it to death trying to catch them.

Linder had a pair of inline, 110 merc's with Speedmasters on a Carlson Challenger in 1966.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 11-25-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:05 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Dave M
The 16 Super is a center console. not sure if you already knew that or not.
This was Eltro's first venture into a glass boat (all of the previous hulls were wood). It was supposed to be the beginning of an effort to take them Public (Linder was in venture capital projects at the time). When that dream didn't materialize the guys were about fed up building boats, so they retired to Florida. The molds were sold and the rest is history....if not truly historic.

Originally the boat had a full deck..... it wasn't the prettiest hull on the planet (Eltro's rarely were)....and it had a little "beak" to boot, so after a couple of years Superboat changed it into a CC.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 11-25-2009 at 03:10 PM.