Notices

Xantrex Charger/Inverter

Old 11-30-2009, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Xantrex Charger/Inverter

Does anyone have any input or reviews on the Xantrex charger/inverter? I'm looking at the small 1000 series for my limited charging and inverter needs. The brochure says it has a built in 30 amp breaker. It also says that the AC/DC outlets can be hard wired directly to the unit. Does this mean that with this unit I wouldn't need an AC breaker panel for my main and my outlets? Thanks
Old 11-30-2009, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the yellow Xantrex charger in my boat and what I did was hard wire the male end of the plug onto one side and on the other side just wired it directly into the batteries so when ever I had the opportunity, I just plugged my boat into an extension cord. I had one on my last boat and transfered it to my current boat and it's always worked great for me.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:46 AM
Registered

So there is no breaker panel? Does it charge each battery bank seperately or both at the same time as one bank? I am really undecided if I actually need a panel with this unit. I would understand if it was a stand alone charger with seperate outlets wired in. All the outlets seem to run directly off the inverter. That being said, why would you have to have a breaker for the outlets?
Old 12-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

i have the freedom 1000, there is no breaker panel. i decided to hardwire my ac to it, then use a blue sea ac panel in the berth to control two circuits off it.

You can download the manual off xantrex. It has diagrams, installation, & operating instructions.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BDiggity
i have the freedom 1000, there is no breaker panel. i decided to hardwire my ac to it, then use a blue sea ac panel in the berth to control two circuits off it.

You can download the manual off xantrex. It has diagrams, installation, & operating instructions.

Ok...correct me if I'm not reading this right. You brought your AC power directly in from the shore power plug to the charger/inverter directly, and hard wired it. Then you went to a panel in the berth from the charger/inverter to control the two circuits. What did you do with the outlet that is already on the charger/inverter? Is that one wired into your panel also some how?
Old 12-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by neva satisfied
Ok...correct me if I'm not reading this right. You brought your AC power directly in from the shore power plug to the charger/inverter directly, and hard wired it. Then you went to a panel in the berth from the charger/inverter to control the two circuits. What did you do with the outlet that is already on the charger/inverter? Is that one wired into your panel also some how?
yes the ac from the external shore power plug is wired to the "ac in" on the xantrex. the ac outlet that is on the inverter/charger is removable. You can either plug devices or extension cord into the receptical, or disconnect it & run ac wire then to another ac load panel. i disconnected mine, so it then is "ac out" & a wire run goes to another panel. i then use that panel to control the main ac & the two branch circuits.

Here i the installation doc to the one i have http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/1974/docserve.aspx
it covers different installation methods.

i did not use a source panel because my only ac source to the xantrex is shore power. i do not need to switch between shore & geny ac source.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BDiggity
yes the ac from the external shore power plug is wired to the "ac in" on the xantrex. the ac outlet that is on the inverter/charger is removable. You can either plug devices or extension cord into the receptical, or disconnect it & run ac wire then to another ac load panel. i disconnected mine, so it then is "ac out" & a wire run goes to another panel. i then use that panel to control the main ac & the two branch circuits.

Here i the installation doc to the one i have http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/1974/docserve.aspx
it covers different installation methods.

i did not use a source panel because my only ac source to the xantrex is shore power. i do not need to switch between shore & geny ac source.
I understand now. How did you hook up your batteries? Did you use an isolator like is shown or another method?