Notices

Check these heads out!

Old 12-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check these heads out!

Go to www.araoengineering.com and check these heads out! They are claiming higher hp and tq with a lot less lift and duration and they say they are very resistant to detonation. Sounds like it would greatly increase reliability and performance across the board! They are claiming a N.A. 1000hp LSX based small block is possible with even more from a big block!

Engine guys please share your thoughts on these.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

My first thought was camshaft(s). It appears one lifter opens two valves. Interesting concept. I would think it could work very well.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Cost versus Benefit & Reliability Ratios??

These type of heads and the 32 valve single pushrod variant also. The real problem with using them on marine performance engines is: (besides the "Cool" factor)
1. Get the price for a pair of big block with all hardware and valve covers and the price will "knock your socks off"!
For this kind of money any good marine engine builder can take more affordable aftermarket heads and make you an engine of comparable HP and torque! One we know will last and be reliable!
2. Every application would require a custom intake manifold, just another $3-$K.
3. Who has a dyno report on a big block with marine type (non-race) setup with regular pump gas type set-up.
Can't compare racing applications to marine performance usage, different animals.
4. Have any of these big block or LSX units been used and documented in any endurance (long hour) applications. Again Bonneville Runs and drag racing won't cut it in a performance boat.

Surmmarizied:
Its somewhat easy (fairly inexpensive) to take any good small block, big block or LSX type build engine and make big horsepower numbers, Done hundreds of times everyday all over the World!
Can these heads be used on a reliable durable marine performance engine for long hours of sustained use?
I don't know, but there will be very few willing to spend the extra dollars and time to experiment and find out!

Nice to look at these specialty parts for limited use but you are better off saving your money and buying a good overall engine package thats proven!

Also noted that these type of threads seem to pop up from time to time from almsot non-existant posters like your self (2 previous posts) Wonder if people are playing with posts to generate posting counts?? Humm??

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 12-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Registered

well said Ray!
Old 12-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Registered

Raylar, with all due respect I couldn't care less about my post count. I posted the info because I thought it may be of interest/benefit to the boating community. The engineering behind it seems sound as does the test info provided. Running significantly less lift, duration and spring pressure should translate into increased reliability due to less wear and stress. The fact that they flow MUCH more air than any two valver can is icing on the cake! They are machined out of billet aluminum so the strength/quality should be there also for the long haul.

As for cost they start at $10K complete...not much more than a good set of ported aftermarket aluminum heads which will still flow much less air.The down side is the custom manifold (which they will build also). But judging form the price of the complete heads one would think this would be reasonable. If they prove to be much more reliable how many times can you overhaul conventional heads before you are way in the hole cost wise compared to spending for these from the start? Not to mention what more time on the water and less in the repair shop would be worth to most people.

For the record I have NO ties to this company, just thought they had a product that may have significant potential for the boating community and wanted to share and do my part to advance the sport. That is my only motivation here!
Old 12-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Raylar
These type of heads and the 32 valve single pushrod variant also. The real problem with using them on marine performance engines is: (besides the "Cool" factor)
1. Get the price for a pair of big block with all hardware and valve covers and the price will "knock your socks off"!
For this kind of money any good marine engine builder can take more affordable aftermarket heads and make you an engine of comparable HP and torque! One we know will last and be reliable!
2. Every application would require a custom intake manifold, just another $3-$K.
3. Who has a dyno report on a big block with marine type (non-race) setup with regular pump gas type set-up.
Can't compare racing applications to marine performance usage, different animals.
4. Have any of these big block or LSX units been used and documented in any endurance (long hour) applications. Again Bonneville Runs and drag racing won't cut it in a performance boat.

Surmmarizied:
Its somewhat easy (fairly inexpensive) to take any good small block, big block or LSX type build engine and make big horsepower numbers, Done hundreds of times everyday all over the World!
Can these heads be used on a reliable durable marine performance engine for long hours of sustained use?
I don't know, but there will be very few willing to spend the extra dollars and time to experiment and find out!

Nice to look at these specialty parts for limited use but you are better off saving your money and buying a good overall engine package thats proven!

Also noted that these type of threads seem to pop up from time to time from almsot non-existant posters like your self (2 previous posts) Wonder if people are playing with posts to generate posting counts?? Humm??

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Ray, I don't know you or don't think I have ever met you but I will say that almost every post I see from you is pretty negative. Especially if it has to do with SBC advancements. Not sure why you would be so defensive about new and different things. You sound like my Dad who is getting pretty old and stuck in his ways. He still thinks mechanical injection is the way to go, who needs those stinking computers.

These LSX heads look pretty impressive especially with 405CFM flow rates. And don't give me that expensive line, every new technology is expensive at first, plus its not like you are selling "cheap" stuff.

it cost money to push the envelope and do new things. I for one am very interested in the New LSX platform and these heads. Looks like a pretty good way to move a lot of air.

MP
Old 12-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks To Be A Very Neat Concept. Hope It Works Out
Old 12-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

well said you cant steal secound base standing on first
Old 12-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forced induction is better,,
Old 12-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Registered

the valves we just bought for dennis are $160 apiece. that would suck having to buy two more sets of those.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.