Notices

Block Freezing ?

Old 12-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Block Freezing ?

It has been 34* for most of the day and will be in the 20's overnite and 24 By morning.

I pulled the hoses and opened the drains but one side just trickles out . I stuck a wire in and tried to open it up but nothing but a trickle. I let it drain all night but am a little worried with this weather. Do I have anything to worry about or should I just drop a work light in the bilge overnite?
Old 12-04-2009, 03:47 PM
chuckbeecher
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put a couple of droplights in the bilge with a coupel of 75 watt bulbs or just one with 100 watt or buy a small ceramic heater and set it at 70*. I have done all of the above with boats sitting outside in the driveway and also hanging in a slip. Never drained them and never a problem.
4 hours at 29* can ruin alot .
If there is water in your fresh water tank you may want another heat source in the cabin/cockpit area.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Registered

Remove the drains fittings from the block then use a small mini screwdrive "not wire" to loose in the sand or rust up in the block if you can't fill the engine with antifreeze is it in doors or outside? and drain the exhaust manifolds too.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rockfish71
Remove the drains fittings from the block then use a small mini screwdrive "not wire" to loose in the sand or rust up in the block if you can't fill the engine with antifreeze is it in doors or outside? and drain the exhaust manifolds too.
I drained everything else. The port side is the side of the block is what won't drain. I can't remove the drain fitting because the oil cooler is in the way so I cant get a wrench on it.

I think I am just going to pour some Antifreeze in thru the Tstat and put a drop light in. I snapped the cranck on my last trip out thats why I have to pour it in.And its outside.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Registered

You should be able to use a wrench 9/16 is it a stock cooler? pour it in the engine water pump hose that go's from the t stat to the inlet of the engine pump pour it in the hose that might mix better then shake the boat back and fourth at the rear side of the boat to try to mix it better.

Last edited by Rockfish71; 12-04-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Registered

drop lights and bilges do not mix i would not put any type of non coast guard approved heating device in the bilge!
Old 12-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Registered

If it is a Bravo set up you also need to get the water out of both sides of the external water pump below the engine if you are not going to put any heat in the bilge.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Go to home depot and get one of the oil filled electric radiators plug it in and no worries
Old 12-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Registered

Got everything drained and antifreeze in the engine.Think it should be ok.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll be just fine not doing a thing. 24 for 24 before you need to start getting worried.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.