Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Banks Engine At PRI Show (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/221086-banks-engine-pri-show.html)

Bobthebuilder 12-12-2009 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by 7075T6 (Post 3004838)
Supercharged and Turbocharged. Posted this earlier in another "Diesel Thread":

My Round Britain 2008 raceboats performance figures:
36 ft Ocke Mannerfelt-hull
2xVolvoPenta D6-435(3700rpm) and DPR-drives
GR-9 propellers modified w 31" pitch
12000 lbs dry
75 mph with 1100 liters of fuel at 3700 rpm-could use larger propellers
On the 210 nm stage from Inverness to Edinburgh I backed
of once from WOT.
We drove the boat from Sweden to Portsmouth and Round Britain. 2500 nm together.
No problems whatsoever. The engines used 2 liters of oil during the 2500nm.

www.teamvilda.se

Congratulations. That is impressive. I enjoyed looking thru your pictures. I could get excited about something like that. I thought that most of the fleet would be much larger boats, but not so. Thanks for posting.
Bob

HabanaJoe 12-12-2009 01:36 PM

catmando - look at Kappa that is the boat that Stefano got killed in, twin 900 hp, old style very heavy boat ran 130's if not more (I only remember when she had the small 600's in her and ran well into the 110's).

Gancia in 1990 with the 4-900's over 20,000 lbs, we ran 114-116 mph on Lake Como, that's fresh water, up in the mountains and the boat itself not a very state of the art by today's standards. That boat ran out of boat not power.

You can't get twice the milage with same HP diesel, you get about 50% more Hp per pound between a great diesel and good gas engine. What your saying is why people get disappointed in diesel, they don't understand that diesels are not god's answer to ecomony. Hp is Hp and it takes fuel no matter what the engine is, there is only so many btu's in a lb of fuel.

The problem with parts is there are very few aftermarket parts, most are bolt on and nothing more. You need to make the internal parts you need.

When you think about what you said it would take to do a performance Cummins diesel, why wouldn't just buy the cheaper gas engine??? Everything you said means I can't get service locally, have no parts book, no manual for someone else to work on it, and so on. What happens when Pat's transmissions break, I can't pull into Cummins Mid Atlanitic or Mercury to have it fixed.

The problems are that by doing what you and I suggest (I'm on your side) we're no better than a gas boat except we spent allot more money and have something that no ones wants to ever buy when we're done.

Look at Nortech, they have the ability to build hot rod diesels but they chose to put stock Yanmar's in, with not to complicated drives because despite the fact Jass or Bob don't go as fast as they would like the boats run forever and ever and when Bob goes island hopping (I'm so f'in jealous!) should he break down there are Yanmar parts available all over the globe and people within a couples hours to work on them.

Building hot rod diesels to spank a gas boat is nothing more than ego not good business sense.

Catmando 12-12-2009 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by 7075T6 (Post 3004838)
Supercharged and Turbocharged. Posted this earlier in another "Diesel Thread":

My Round Britain 2008 raceboats performance figures:
36 ft Ocke Mannerfelt-hull
2xVolvoPenta D6-435(3700rpm) and DPR-drives
GR-9 propellers modified w 31" pitch
12000 lbs dry
75 mph with 1100 liters of fuel at 3700 rpm-could use larger propellers
On the 210 nm stage from Inverness to Edinburgh I backed
of once from WOT.
We drove the boat from Sweden to Portsmouth and Round Britain. 2500 nm together.
No problems whatsoever. The engines used 2 liters of oil during the 2500nm.

www.teamvilda.se

The girl's name is Titti?? Seriously?? :eek: :D

7075T6 12-13-2009 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Catmando (Post 3004939)
The girl's name is Titti?? Seriously?? :eek: :D

Yes. Titti.
She lived in England for four years so she´s used to that question...