Notices

Banks Engine At PRI Show

Old 12-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hot Duck
I was not there to see it, but here is the press release.

Gale Banks Engineering’s return to the Performance Racing Industry Show in Orlando, Florida on December 9-12, 2009 will see a number of very new and exciting ready-to-install, high-performance diesel engines from the company that's recognized as the industry leader in aftermarket diesel technology.

BANKS SEQUENTIAL SUPER-TURBO DIESEL

First on the list is the incredible Banks Sequential Super-Turbo (Marine Version) Diesel. Yes, that's a powerfully efficient sixth generation Eaton TVS supercharger topping off that Twin-Turbo 6.6 Liter GM Duramax-based V-8. It's pretty easy to note that "Boost Guru" Gale Banks has combined the best of both (extra-aspirated) worlds to produce a mind-blowing marine engine. The idea here is to combine the best of the two 'charging (super and turbo) systems for lightning-strike responsiveness and the very broadest possible power band on the water. Here's where great low end supercharging blends perfectly into top end turbo-power all seamlessly controlled by Banks/Bosch electronics. We're looking at 600+ very husky horsepower at only 3800 rpm here, and "over 1,000 (that's horsepower) with the addition of a competition-tuned nitrous oxide system along with upgrades to some key engine components."

Great idea,- Banks hasn't shipped any product. Its only a protoype.

Not only is this engine not available, from what I can tell banks hasn't shipped the unit they showed in Miami last year.

I cant get a price on the unit that was shown in Miami so right now its all vapor-very cool vapor but vapor no less. Happy to rettract, but Ive left several messages at their place and the marine guys are nowhere to be found and never give a ship date or a price. - NICE.

Earhearts Engine is "Uber" cool... but its not a diesel.

Uncle Dave
Old 12-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cougarman
So why not go this route and have ZERO LAG ?

Boost comes on under 1,800 RPMS

Thanks
Jon

Jon are those the smaller Turbos? still impressive as when I saw it the first time, Glad your posting pictures of it finally!!

Hey whats the intake weight, looks secretive

I'm ready for some more ribs

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Great idea,- Banks hasn't shipped any product. Its only a protoype.

Not only is this engine not available, from what I can tell banks hasn't shipped the unit they showed in Miami last year.

I cant get a price on the unit that was shown in Miami so right now its all vapor-very cool vapor but vapor no less. Happy to rettract, but Ive left several messages at their place and the marine guys are nowhere to be found and never give a ship date or a price. - NICE.

Earhearts Engine is "Uber" cool... but its not a diesel.

Uncle Dave
I was able to get through to the Marine guy and he told me the 500hp twin turbo motor was a test bed. He also said GM was not shipping Banks any more motors because of a production freeze. Now this was in early March so things may have changed by now. Of course this could be the same motor with the blower added, no way to tell for sure.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Registered

Like Eddie said my first thought was Volvo. Doug
Old 12-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice look but I wonder how much power is lost with the 90* bends on the intake after the throttle bodys. Should be one straight in the front and one in the back....just a thought. Just looks a little tight.
Attached Thumbnails Banks Engine At PRI Show-check300-6.jpg  
Old 12-09-2009, 11:41 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe

Put anyone of your turbo charged gas engines in a car, put the car in high gear 1:1 like a diesel would be and punch the gas from idle - the engine dies if not stalls. That is how it is for a diesel in high performance boat with a fully submerged surfacing propeller.
I have a 1 to 1 gear ratio in my 42' 16000 lb cat and I have ran a 5 blade 17.5" dia. 36 pitch prop and still had enough torque to pull the boat from idle to 138 mph in one mile.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:22 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink How to turn 5 pounds of pig iron into one pound of Gold!!

I know Gale Banks and have had several meetings and discussions with him over the last 5 or 6 years. He is a brilliant performance businessman and his accomplishments manufacturing, marketing in many forms of racing and the aftermarket performance industry over the years speak for themselves.

As for his Duramax diesel ventures, he has proven he can build and race expensive Duramax race prepped engines and get big power and torque from them in non-marine applications.
He has however been showing and talking about and trying to market a marine performance version of the Duramax diesel for over 6 years. Problem is some expensive , pretty high tech prototypes have gotten built, shown at a few boat shows and even been somewhat touted by GM over a few years, BUT, a real working engine has never made it in a boat, complete with a drive system and pushed any performance boat thru any paces or extended use.

Bottom line is that his type of marketing helps companies like Banks sell their diesel tuner stuff, chip boxes and such and thats where they are making the bucks!

As someone else here said in this thread, I also think GM (IZUSU) has not been willing to turn loose of enough base Duramax diesels for a moderate marine production scenario. I am sure with all the internal mods needed to make a stock Duramax become and endurance Duramax marine diesel this package with appropriate drive and tranny would be so off the chart expensive that no successful boat builder or engine company is going to log any reasonable sales to justify the investment and effort.

One offs, will not sustain or carry this industry!

My closing statement here: When someone, anyone qualified and capable in the industry comes out with a 600HP-700HP diesel performance engine that can turn a reasonable rpm (3800-4500) range and provide good acceleration and top end speed 70-80mph and not cost more that Obama's Tarp bailout, then:
PIGS WILL FLY!!!
Especially in the current and near current future of the marine performance market!

It may be COOL and Fun to wow over this stuff, but my prediction, It Ain't Gonna Happen! Actually I hope someone proves me wrong, the industry could use a great, affordable marine performance diesel with these capabilities! and when I say affordable I am taliking about a $40 - $50K package! that weighs less than 1800lbs, not a $80-100K package that weighs about 2000lbs and will only push the boat big enough to hold it and reach 65mph!in about 2 minutes. There are already 500HP diesel high torque engine and drive packages that can do that and have already been use in very limited high dollar custom built boats.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 12-10-2009, 09:23 AM
Registered

I know in my area finding Fuel will be a issue for a diesel. At least as things are now.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by WeaponX
Nice look but I wonder how much power is lost with the 90* bends on the intake after the throttle bodys. Should be one straight in the front and one in the back....just a thought. Just looks a little tight.
Chief engines has a twin turbo motor. Their website is down right now but there's a pic on the homepage;

www.chiefengines.com

The bends don't look as sharp as the ones on the Banks motor.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

We might go to the show on Sat, to check it out. I'll take pics.
Dean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.