Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT: Web Hosting (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/22109-ot-web-hosting.html)

jr 04-12-2002 09:18 AM

OT: Web Hosting

My wife and I are looking at moving our little business' to the web. There seems to be a ton of people out there that host web sites. And there seems to be pretty good prices as well. Start up fees seem to be 20 bucks, domain registration runs around the same per year.

What should I look out for. I know bandwidth needs to be as much as possible but how much bandwidth do you need. I figure a 1 meg site accessed 1000 times is a gig. Is that accrate? I'm a rookie at this but I want to do this my self. Partly do to start up costs, and partly to the "how hard can it be" factor. I haven't developed my site yet but I've been messing with it and I have some good ideas on what I want to do. I also have ideas on how to get it looked at. But with registering a domain, does that actually get it to Yahoo, Google and search engines like that or do I need to register it there. independantly.

Playn 04-12-2002 09:50 AM

PUDER, Sounds like this may be up your alley....

kcgbjc 04-12-2002 10:03 AM

I can host you!

Look for as much space and bandwidth as you can get for your money. Insure that there is 24 hour quick support. Many firms don't promise that or charge more for it. If you have any special programming needs, verify the host can handle the application you are using (ie Frontpage, ASP, mySQL database, e-commerce, etc.)

Use a host that someone you know has used and would refer you to.

Don't go for a host with the name Cheap in it.

I host many of the boat sites you may visit and do more each day. I have 24/7 support, great bandwidth and backup. I resell services and do everything in my power to get your site up.

Please visit my site at www.JNJHost.com or email me at [email protected]. Today is my last day at my current employment so that I may focus on the business. I look forward to hearing from you, and any OSO friends.

IDRPSTF 04-12-2002 10:26 AM

Jr. Contact PUDER from the board. When I was redoing my site he had some very helpfull unput. I was contacted by three others on the board that know his work and said he is highly recomended. Had I not paid someone else in advance he would have had a pocket full of my money. Dont be afraid of his spelling either!

Chart 04-12-2002 12:15 PM

Spitfire Communications, Inc. is a client of mine (and I have a small stake in them). They are an ISP offering unlimited, advertising-free dial-up service for $10.00 a month -- nation-wide . They also host websites. Please make sure you consider them.

-thanks

www.spitfire.net

jr 04-12-2002 01:23 PM

Thanks for the info. I need to get my pages put together first. I also need to get some product done so I can get pictures. You guys have been a big help.

Thanks, Jeff.

puder 04-12-2002 02:13 PM

a hoy hoy!!!!

thanks for the kind words guys!!! I offer hosting as well as design. I am pretty cheap too :D feel free to throw me a riung at 516-697-8249. I will be out of town all weekend but i can be reached on that number. Or you can call my office at 516-759-6309 when i get back monday.

FYI i run spell check on sites :D

puder 04-12-2002 02:17 PM

oh yeah my prices are low (very little overhead and a home office)but thier is no cheap in my name.

even if you don't wind up using me hosting hosting/design advice is always free to OSO members. As for 24/7 service. I have my cell glued to my head and don't sleep very much. not to mention you can always drop me a line on OSO and i will probably get it in at most 12 hours. :D

kcgbjc 04-12-2002 02:36 PM

With puder on all that. Questions posted here or emailed to either of us will get great results. Posted here, one of us'll help you pretty quickly hosted or not.

Great luck!

Dreamweaver 04-12-2002 02:37 PM

Puder definitely sounds like your man (if indeed he is a man, :p )

BUT.. If you'd like to get your feet just a little wet, you can start really tiny by using Verisign.

They walk you through an EXTREMELY BASIC package that includes registering your domain and a one-page web site.

The down-side to it is that you have to use their templates, so there's only a little room for creativity. Check out our boat club's site at www.atlantapowerboat.com . I spent less than $200 on the whole deal.

Verisign also lets you upgrade, subscribe to search engines like Yahoo, and other stuff for a fee.

If you want to SELL stuff, you definitely should go with more adept companies, like Puder.... ;)