Mounting items on the inside wall of an engine compartment >

Mounting items on the inside wall of an engine compartment

Notices

Mounting items on the inside wall of an engine compartment

Old 12-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Mounting items on the inside wall of an engine compartment

I am looking to mount a battery charger and a couple of other things to the inside walls of my engine compartment. Obviously I can't use screws. What are some of the methods and products that people have used to fasten things to the interior walls? How well did it hold up?
Old 12-14-2009, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Are you refering to the engine side of the transom, if so they are usually 2" thick! You can use screws but I wouldn't use 3" ones!
Old 12-14-2009, 10:03 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Best bet would be to make a piece of wood that is the correct size for what you need, cover it with resin and maybe a layer or two of glass mat to seal it. Then paint it to match and epoxy it to the side.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:46 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=509 SC;3006010]Are you refering to the engine side of the transom, if so they are usually 2" thick! You can use screws but I wouldn't use 3" ones![/QUOTE

No, I'm refering to the actual sides. My batteries are under the bench seat but I don't want to take up any more room under there by adding items so I'm resorting to the engine compartment. The side walls are the only open areas that I have.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
Best bet would be to make a piece of wood that is the correct size for what you need, cover it with resin and maybe a layer or two of glass mat to seal it. Then paint it to match and epoxy it to the side.
+1
Old 12-15-2009, 07:14 AM
Registered

Make/model of your boat and actual pictures showing where you want to put things would be best.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Registered

Use 3M panel bond adhesive to fasten an aluminum bracket to the glass then screw to the bracket
Old 12-15-2009, 10:45 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff

This is how my budies cruisers battery charger is mounted, onto the side of the hull. Be sure to sand off the paint 1st for a good bond.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by neva satisfied
I am looking to mount a battery charger and a couple of other things to the inside walls of my engine compartment. Obviously I can't use screws. What are some of the methods and products that people have used to fasten things to the interior walls? How well did it hold up?

I have used the above mentioned method with taking a piece of painted wood and adhering it to the engine side wall compartment. You can use liquid nail also to attach it. Then you can use wood screws to attach the battery charger. If you match the paint color close it looks really good. If there is a contour to the side wall and the wood doesn't fit exact, you can use white caulk around the edges.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is another option. We mounted the trim pumps to a bracket that is bolted to the back of the battery box. The Stb side also holds a catch can. Below the sight line, the bracket is the full width of the battery box.
Attached Thumbnails Mounting items on the inside wall of an engine compartment-imgp1033.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.