Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Mercury's Turbo Engines (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/221481-mercurys-turbo-engines.html)

Coolerman 12-18-2009 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by check300 (Post 3007829)
The turbos will go to 30 but I don't think we need that much.

The key word here is "think". Don't rule it out! :D :D

check300 12-18-2009 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by saxman (Post 3007882)
The key word here is "think". Don't rule it out! :D :D

I thought I'd leave room....just in case.

How do you like the new design/packaging we're using?

AIR TIME 12-18-2009 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by check300 (Post 3007892)
I thought I'd leave room....just in case.

How do you like the new design/packaging we're using?

it looks cool and you have a six drive behind it too:coolcowboy:. what hp did it take to break a 100 on your boat and with a b1 hp 500 package what did it run 75 or so. I hope to be out testing in feb or march the latest. with the new hull I bought a saber 28 single raising the x and running the konrad ace with box at 17 1/2 = 3'' prop shaft heigth with Dean Gellner power going to set it for 1000 or 1100 hp, I hope that will get me over a 100, then drop it down for cruising to less hp so not to kill the drive. but I want the 100 plus run. it would be great to get there on 900hp cause the boats about 5000lbs with a single bb bravo 1, I would add 300 to that with konrad and blower. so what speeds are you getting now? art

Brad Zastrow 12-18-2009 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by cougarman (Post 3007881)
Eickert did some engines with Vortech Superchargers. ... the belt-driven centrifugal super chargers which are similar to turbo chargers.

Those engines did not work very well at all. No torque and engines kept breaking. My take on turbos is they are still unproven in a boat. If they worked so well why are there not more boats with them? I keep hearing they are great yet where are they? Who is running them? Not little boats but offshore boats.

thedonz 12-18-2009 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow (Post 3007912)
Those engines did not work very well at all. No torque and engines kept breaking. My take on turbos is they are still unproven in a boat. If they worked so well why are there not more boats with them? I keep hearing they are great yet where are they? Who is running them? Not little boats but offshore boats.

Go ask Tommy (chief) he's built a bunch already and they work great. Not a lot of people have them yet i would think because it's something that came out into the fast boat sene what 2 yrs ago.....

cougarman 12-18-2009 02:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)

My take on turbos is they are still unproven in a boat. If they worked so well why are there not more boats with them? I keep hearing they are great yet where are they? Who is running them? Not little boats but offshore boats.

Here's Dr. Bob's 38' Cougar

jeff1000man 12-18-2009 02:30 PM

I have an old Gentry turbo in my shop that I want to play around with, but just havn't gotten around to it yet.

One day, one day.

cougarman 12-18-2009 02:35 PM

5 Attachment(s)

My take on turbos is they are still unproven in a boat. If they worked so well why are there not more boats with them? I keep hearing they are great yet where are they? Who is running them? Not little boats but offshore boats.

Broken Arrow

cougarman 12-18-2009 02:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Platinum ( Vern Gilberts )

Brad Zastrow 12-18-2009 03:26 PM

I have a bad taste with turbo lag I had with a car engine. I am told the turbos are much better now. In and out of the throttle in big water would be a problem with any kind of lag even slight. The next response will be they have the lag sorted out. How can you have zero lag when you are off the throttle and killing the exhaust in a wave hop? You need to spool up the engine to get boost. A roots or Whipple has instant response. Hair dryer style superchargers are another blower I do not like. Take too long to spool up. I remain skeptical.