Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Mercury's Turbo Engines (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/221481-mercurys-turbo-engines.html)

freshwaterfiend 02-13-2010 06:22 PM

I may be wrong but I thought they mentioned that the cylinder bores were plasma coated.

Also they have no plans to replace the 1075 series motors with the new ones right now or so they say.

Don't forget headers are integral to the design so all you need to do is mount the motors and a 4 or 5 inch tailpipe to the transom as demoex in the amg cig.

byrideroffshore 02-14-2010 06:56 AM

Congrats to Mercury.. heard a race version pushed 1700hp and a ton of RPM....

Panther 02-14-2010 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by freshwaterfiend (Post 3046101)
I may be wrong but I thought they mentioned that the cylinder bores were plasma coated.

From the Merc website;

"Durable NiCom®-coated aluminum cylinder bores improve heat transfer and are one element which enables an increase in overall engine lifespan by up to an unprecedented 100% "

I looked up NiCom and found this; http://www.uschrome.com/nicom_ds.html

32-DD 02-14-2010 09:25 AM

Nicom is the same thing Mercury has been coating their 2.5 litter high performance outboards with for years! they were first coated with Nikosil then they went to the Nicom. Just about everytime you rebuild one of the 2.5 260hp or 2.5 280hp and even the 300 drag you have to send the blocks back to uschrome to be recoated! If You put to many hours on them and the rings start to wear it just peels the Nicom right off! some of These outboards will turn 8700rpm from the factory and alot of the racers turn them 10,000 plus.

Raylar 02-14-2010 11:49 AM

Dusting Off My Crystal Ball

The more I ponder this engine the more I see 4 cycle dual overhead cam large displacement outboard powerhead laid down horizontal with turbocharging to produce what we see here now with this offering from Mercury Racing. I kinda suspect the engineering group for the outboards had a lot to do with the development of this engine. There still might be something to say for the thought that others in the industry believe there might be an overseas engine development connection. I hope this was not the case as I would still like to believe we have the talent and ability right here in the Good Old USA to bring this type of engine to market!

You can kinda of see that Mercury can use this engine for the testbed for its technology to see if this type of new power technology can be moved into its other racing and conventional marine engine uses. Time is always the great determiner, we will see?

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

freshwaterfiend 02-14-2010 07:43 PM

Yeah I don't believe amg had anything to do with this motor. They have only ever designed one engine in house - their 6.3 v8. Every other motor they made was based on modified mercedes mainstream engines.

44MTI 02-15-2010 10:40 AM

This package is revolutionary is our world.
Fred told me that some of the original work dates back to the 90's and that the work was on and off as time allowed. Remember Merc has developed some other nice stuff along the way.
With this package, don't forget that it has a new Transmission, along with the one year warranty,this is huge. This puts the pleasure back in pleasure boating.
And a life cyle 3 times what the 1075 has. First expected rebuild at 250hrs. This is by Merc's estimates, which tend to be on the conservative side.

phughes69 02-15-2010 10:55 AM

I am curious how much this engine design was influenced by the LT-5 ZR-1 engine?

Sean H 02-15-2010 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by 44MTI (Post 3046877)
This package is revolutionary is our world.
Fred told me that some of the original work dates back to the 90's and that the work was on and off as time allowed. Remember Merc has developed some other nice stuff along the way.
With this package, don't forget that it has a new Transmission, along with the one year warranty,this is huge. This puts the pleasure back in pleasure boating.
And a life cyle 3 times what the 1075 has. First expected rebuild at 250hrs. This is by Merc's estimates, which tend to be on the conservative side.

when does hammertime get a set?:drink:

44MTI 02-15-2010 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Sean H (Post 3046917)
when does hammertime get a set?:drink:

Need to sell some Merc 1200's and 6's first.
:ernaehrung004: