Notices

Mercury's Turbo Engines

Old 12-18-2009, 11:14 AM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by check300
The turbos will go to 30 but I don't think we need that much.
The key word here is "think". Don't rule it out!
Old 12-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by saxman
The key word here is "think". Don't rule it out!
I thought I'd leave room....just in case.

How do you like the new design/packaging we're using?
Old 12-18-2009, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by check300
I thought I'd leave room....just in case.

How do you like the new design/packaging we're using?
it looks cool and you have a six drive behind it too. what hp did it take to break a 100 on your boat and with a b1 hp 500 package what did it run 75 or so. I hope to be out testing in feb or march the latest. with the new hull I bought a saber 28 single raising the x and running the konrad ace with box at 17 1/2 = 3'' prop shaft heigth with Dean Gellner power going to set it for 1000 or 1100 hp, I hope that will get me over a 100, then drop it down for cruising to less hp so not to kill the drive. but I want the 100 plus run. it would be great to get there on 900hp cause the boats about 5000lbs with a single bb bravo 1, I would add 300 to that with konrad and blower. so what speeds are you getting now? art
Old 12-18-2009, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by cougarman
Eickert did some engines with Vortech Superchargers. ... the belt-driven centrifugal super chargers which are similar to turbo chargers.

Those engines did not work very well at all. No torque and engines kept breaking. My take on turbos is they are still unproven in a boat. If they worked so well why are there not more boats with them? I keep hearing they are great yet where are they? Who is running them? Not little boats but offshore boats.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
Those engines did not work very well at all. No torque and engines kept breaking. My take on turbos is they are still unproven in a boat. If they worked so well why are there not more boats with them? I keep hearing they are great yet where are they? Who is running them? Not little boats but offshore boats.
Go ask Tommy (chief) he's built a bunch already and they work great. Not a lot of people have them yet i would think because it's something that came out into the fast boat sene what 2 yrs ago.....
Old 12-18-2009, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

My take on turbos is they are still unproven in a boat. If they worked so well why are there not more boats with them? I keep hearing they are great yet where are they? Who is running them? Not little boats but offshore boats.
Here's Dr. Bob's 38' Cougar
Attached Thumbnails Mercury's Turbo Engines-4-2-motors-large-.jpg   Mercury's Turbo Engines-tnt-7-23-09-034-large-.jpg  
Old 12-18-2009, 02:30 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an old Gentry turbo in my shop that I want to play around with, but just havn't gotten around to it yet.

One day, one day.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My take on turbos is they are still unproven in a boat. If they worked so well why are there not more boats with them? I keep hearing they are great yet where are they? Who is running them? Not little boats but offshore boats.

Broken Arrow
Attached Thumbnails Mercury's Turbo Engines-chiefturbos2.jpg   Mercury's Turbo Engines-chiefturbos5.jpg   Mercury's Turbo Engines-chiefturbos3.jpg  

Mercury's Turbo Engines-chiefturbos6.jpg   Mercury's Turbo Engines-chiefturbos9.jpg  
Old 12-18-2009, 02:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Platinum ( Vern Gilberts )
Attached Thumbnails Mercury's Turbo Engines-platinum1.jpg   Mercury's Turbo Engines-platinum2.jpg   Mercury's Turbo Engines-platinumexhaust.jpg  

Old 12-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a bad taste with turbo lag I had with a car engine. I am told the turbos are much better now. In and out of the throttle in big water would be a problem with any kind of lag even slight. The next response will be they have the lag sorted out. How can you have zero lag when you are off the throttle and killing the exhaust in a wave hop? You need to spool up the engine to get boost. A roots or Whipple has instant response. Hair dryer style superchargers are another blower I do not like. Take too long to spool up. I remain skeptical.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.