Notices

Mercury's Turbo Engines

Old 12-18-2009, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
I have a bad taste with turbo lag I had with a car engine. I am told the turbos are much better now. In and out of the throttle in big water would be a problem with any kind of lag even slight. The next response will be they have the lag sorted out. How can you have zero lag when you are off the throttle and killing the exhaust in a wave hop? You need to spool up the engine to get boost. A roots or Whipple has instant response. Hair dryer style superchargers are another blower I do not like. Take too long to spool up. I remain skeptical.

Brad,

I understand your concerns as the follow suit with the majority of the public. No different than diesels,......for years nobody want them. As technology progressed the public perception changed. These threads are always a fine line with actually communicating and perception of arogance rather than educating our fellow enthusiast.

As Check 300 has already commented he has no lag, boost starts to come on about 1,650 rpms and by 1,700 rpms it's alive and well. On the dyno it's easiest to see at 1,800 rpms. And before anyone says you can't dyno that low.........how do you think diesel's are dynoed?? Very low .

Late this fall we had taken Check 300's prop off and tried some really big 5 blades. First I will say the prop he has will throw you on your A** if he launches it out off the hole. But also wanted to test the large one which was actually to much for the boat with out vent tubes etc.

But with the lap top hooked up and sitting on the dash we could watch every thing. RPMS, Boost etc. and this is where we could actually see the boost start to build at 1,650 RPMS and by 1,700 RPM's put the boat on plane.

So Tom does have the boost figured with zero lag and with Bill's prop it planes better than the average boat,.......very quick I might add too.

Being your really not all that far away it would be nice to get together in the summer month's. I think you would be pleasantly surprised.

Jon
Old 12-18-2009, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by fast fun 2
We built soem turbo motors a while back...biggest problem is getting on plane...no balls. Nothing accelorates quite like a whipple anyway

I'm not being arogant so please just take this for what it's worth. But a properly set up turbo engine will out accelerate a blower any day of the week,....including the whipples.

Dustin doesn't care for this conversation, but I think your going to see a slow switch over.

As stated earlier in this thread they are more $$ to set up and can look complex,........but you reap the benifit's with reliabilty etc.

Thanks
Jon
Old 12-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,065 Likes on 281 Posts

I dont doubt it, the motors we did were all of 18 to 20 years ago...Im sure the new technology is much better...and...they are pretty
Old 12-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cougarman
I'm not being arogant so please just take this for what it's worth. But a properly set up turbo engine will out accelerate a blower any day of the week,....including the whipples.

Dustin doesn't care for this conversation, but I think your going to see a slow switch over.

As stated earlier in this thread they are more $$ to set up and can look complex,........but you reap the benifit's with reliabilty etc.

Thanks
Jon
While I completely agree that a well set up turbo motor should make more horsepower than a supercharged motor due to not having any parasitic drag like the belt driven blowers have, but for acceleration ie. instant torque, the turbo needs air movement in order to come up to speed, wherein the supercharger is already moving lots of air at off idle or low rpm cruise speeds. One only needs to look at unlimited class dragster motors in order to see which type of blower accelerates the quickest.

I do agree that turbo motors are probably in our marine future due to their efficiency, and ability to quiet the exhaust while not restricting power.

Chris
Old 12-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a turbo diesel super duty truck and the lag is terrible. I have a supercharged car and holy crap it hits hard and right now. I have never driven a turbo car I liked yet (owned 2) compared to a SC car. I agree turbos make great power but fail to see how you can overcome physics of a turbo needing air to move and create boost. There will be a lag, nothing said here will convince me otherwise. Slow switch over? I am not so sure.
Why is Mercury's Verado lineup supercharged not turbo? Those engines are very responsive and are not failing.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:20 AM
Registered

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Anyone who doubts the suitability of turbo engines in a marine environment should look no further than the waterski race boats in Australia.

The apparently develop up to 2000 hp and are reliable. They also have no problem accelerating.

I personally think they should be banned. The noise just isnt the same
Old 12-19-2009, 06:33 AM
LV
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
I have a turbo diesel super duty truck and the lag is terrible. I have a supercharged car and holy crap it hits hard and right now. I have never driven a turbo car I liked yet (owned 2) compared to a SC car. I agree turbos make great power but fail to see how you can overcome physics of a turbo needing air to move and create boost. There will be a lag, nothing said here will convince me otherwise. Slow switch over? I am not so sure.
Why is Mercury's Verado lineup supercharged not turbo? Those engines are very responsive and are not failing.
There is a new 388 Skater being Laid up right now for a Twin Turbo package with a 2 speed transmision.This thing should be off the hook . The engine builder is as proven as it gets, the cards will be on the table soon enough on the Turbo's, it will be interesting to see the #'s after it gets dialed in.

Last edited by LV; 12-20-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cougarman

Thanks
Jon

All though we never met.. but have talked on the phone a few times... I will second this.. no arogance in any of your posts.. and I apprieciate the knowledge that you bring to the board, especially on this topic.
For what it's worth, I had an opportunity to check some of these twin turbo Chief motors out at the 08 Jacksonville run. I can't remember the Gentlemen's name, nice older feller in a 43 NT cat pulled right next to me. These motors had a different sound all together, and were just as docile as my 700's, as he was docking next to me against the strong current. When he accelerated I was amazed how these motors pulled. Need less to say I was impressed with the package all the way around.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AIR TIME
it looks cool and you have a six drive behind it too. what hp did it take to break a 100 on your boat and with a b1 hp 500 package what did it run 75 or so. I hope to be out testing in feb or march the latest. with the new hull I bought a saber 28 single raising the x and running the konrad ace with box at 17 1/2 = 3'' prop shaft heigth with Dean Gellner power going to set it for 1000 or 1100 hp, I hope that will get me over a 100, then drop it down for cruising to less hp so not to kill the drive. but I want the 100 plus run. it would be great to get there on 900hp cause the boats about 5000lbs with a single bb bravo 1, I would add 300 to that with konrad and blower. so what speeds are you getting now? art

My boat was never configured with a bravo drive. It was built as a blank so we could do the setup ourselves with the #6. I have seen other 300 Convincors with 500 hp and they will not run 70. The best speed seen on mine so far is 114 but pretty sure there is more there. It would be nice to get to the high teens. During out last prop testing this fall it took about 12 seconds to get from 35mph to 110.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by LV
There is a new 388 Skater being Laid up right now for a Twin Turbo package with a 2 speed transmision.This thing should be off the hook . The engine builder is as proven as it gets, the cards will be on the table soon enough on the Turbo's, it will be intersting to see the #'s after it gets dialed in.

LV,

Who's building the Turbo Engines ? And who's two speed is going in the boat? There is two or three manufactures of the two speed now.

Thanks
Jon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.