Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Cigarette Racing Team and Mercedes AMG Collaborate on Concept Boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/221492-cigarette-racing-team-mercedes-amg-collaborate-concept-boat.html)

pm203 12-22-2009 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio (Post 3010332)
Hey guys,

I've been following the threads on this project here and on seriousoffshore, and the range of responses, from "cool" to "lame" (greatly condensed) has been interesting. I have to admit, the negative responses floor me given the current state of the market.

Someone (Cigarette Racing Team) is doing something. You might think it's amazing. You might think it's, "Been there, done that."

But they're doing something. When almost no one else is.

You don't have to like what they're doing or think it's a particularly creative. But at least to my thinking, knowing a little bit about the state of the industry, you have to respect Cigarette for not sitting on its hands and hoping. (OK, you don't "have to," but it seems reasonable that you would.)

On the other hand ... this thread would be pretty dull if everyone agreed on the value of the project.

Matt,
Alot of non-Cig people like to pick on the brand or Skip. The bottom line is that Cig may not build the fastest hull from the latest tech, but they are second to no one when it comes to build quality and fit and finish. And, no other boat builder has the brand recognition or will ever have the brand recognition that Cigarette has. In fact, alot of competitors have even copied their logo design. Whatever..........................

fountain4play 12-22-2009 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by thisistank (Post 3009525)
Yea, I'd say the Looney Tunes boat was actually more detailed...so was the Batman boat (in my opinion). I think the Mercedes boat is nice, no doubt about it. But Like I said above, to form an opinion with out knowledge is... well, foolish. But it's all good, you're definately intitled to your opinion, even if it is un-informed.

Same painter Mark Morris (Visual Imagination) did all of the boats listed which is one of the reasons they were that detailed...He also did a couple of renderings for this project as I'm sure some of the other first class painters have done...

About the only thing that makes this project unique is it's the Cig (the builder) and AMG rather than the customer who usually is the driver on the paint schemes...

PhantomChaos 12-22-2009 07:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by pm203 (Post 3007946)
Nice! But, the SLS is one homely looking car.

You obviously have not seen an SLS in person or driven one. You might be thinking of the SLR? That SLS is going to be amazing. I think it is awesome that these two companies are doing something! Thanks Matt!

pm203 12-22-2009 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos (Post 3010465)
You obviously have not seen an SLS in person or driven one. You might be thinking of the SLR? That SLS is going to be amazing. I think it is awesome that these two companies are doing something! Thanks Matt!

All I can say is that I hope it looks better in person. If you read any of the articles on it, just about everybody agrees that the exterior design is what's questionable. In fact, even the interior is mediocre when compared to say an R8. Performance wise and technology wise, its a winner. It is an amazing car with a not so amazing apperance.

PhantomChaos 12-22-2009 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by pm203 (Post 3010467)
All I can say is that I hope it looks better in person. If you read any of the articles on it, just about everybody agrees that the exterior design is what's questionable. In fact, even the interior is mediocre when compared to say an R8. Performance wise and technology wise, its a winner. It is an amazing car with a not so amazing apperance.

I have to agree and used to think the same thing. Then I saw it in various views, coming at me down the street, pulling out of a driveway, and it really started to grow on me. You'll see. The R8 is a great car too but has some odd looks at some angles too and the interior is....well......only Audi. :)

pm203 12-22-2009 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos (Post 3010556)
I have to agree and used to think the same thing. Then I saw it in various views, coming at me down the street, pulling out of a driveway, and it really started to grow on me. You'll see. The R8 is a great car too but has some odd looks at some angles too and the interior is....well......only Audi. :)

I agree that the R8 is not the prettiest car and will wait to see a SLS in person before passing final judgement .Awkard as it may appear, its still cool. Now regarding Audi interiors, its a well known fact that the competition is still playing catch up. But of course, you already knew that. :D

Sean 12-23-2009 12:06 AM

Hey guys,

I've been following the threads on this project here and on seriousoffshore, and the range of responses, from "cool" to "lame" (greatly condensed) has been interesting. I have to admit, the negative responses floor me given the current state of the market.

Someone (Cigarette Racing Team) is doing something. You might think it's amazing. You might think it's, "Been there, done that."

You don't have to like what they're doing or think it's a particularly creative. But at least to my thinking, knowing a little bit about the state of the industry, you have to respect Cigarette for not sitting on its hands and hoping. (OK, you don't "have to," but it seems reasonable that you would.)

On the other hand ... this thread would be pretty dull if everyone agreed on the value of the project.

Very good point Matt. Glad to see they are doing something while others are filinf chapter 11 or closing up shop. It is good for the industry and I certainly hope Cigarette can ride this one out... I just wish they were doing something that hasn't been done already...and no matter what spin someone tries to put on it, it HAS been done already... So, how about an Enzo Cigarette? :D :D

thisistank 12-23-2009 12:57 AM

Hey guys,

Matt, nicely put as usual. I would have to agree. It is very nice to see someone doing something, ANYTHING in these harsh economic times. And it's working. There's talk of the anticipation of this project on various boards through-out various threads. It's also a relief to see someone do a marketing campaign that has a bit of class and doesn't stoop to the low level of talking down about a competator, making false claims or straight out lying to get their boat company talked about.

FormulaFan 12-24-2009 07:00 PM

Something from AMG....

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of shots of a Mercedes SL65 Black edition
from AMG. The styling is awesome on this car, maybe the Cigarette/AMG can have the same impact. I for one, can't wait to see the new boat in person.....

LubeJobs42 12-25-2009 12:10 AM

See, what you guys don't understand the Mercedes boat got all of it's sex appeal from me being in the boat. If I wasn't in the boat, it would just be another hunk of Fiberglass. :bsflag: