Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   1 Dead, 5 Hurt in Christmas Boat Parade Crash with Coast Guard (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/221623-1-dead-5-hurt-christmas-boat-parade-crash-coast-guard.html)

PhantomChaos 12-21-2009 02:22 PM

1 Dead, 5 Hurt in Christmas Boat Parade Crash with Coast Guard

1 Dead, 5 Hurt in Christmas Boat Parade Crash
Updated: Monday, 21 Dec 2009, 12:16 PM PST
Published : Sunday, 20 Dec 2009, 5:46 PM PST

The owner of a boat involved in a deadly collision in San Diego Bay says a Coast Guard vessel struck his boat from behind after turning around.

Roger DeWeese told The Associated Press on Monday that his 44-year-old son was driving his boat Sunday when the Coast Guard vessel sped through a harbor where a Christmas watercraft parade was being held.

DeWeese says his son told him the Coast Guard vessel turned around, and he thought it was going to turn away from his boat. Instead, he says it hit his boat from behind as he tried to speed away.

DeWeese says his 8-year-old grandson, Anthony DeWeese, was killed. Five other were seriously injured.

Neither boat was participating in the parade.

The Coast Guard declined comment, citing an ongoing investigation.

http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/news/nati...Crash_80051408

AB From Windsor 12-21-2009 02:48 PM

My Condolences and prayers to the DeWeese Family, on their lose of 8 yr. old Anthony DeWeese. Praying that the other injured passengers make a full and speed recovery.

K & G Construction 12-21-2009 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos (Post 3009475)
1 Dead, 5 Hurt in Christmas Boat Parade Crash
Updated: Monday, 21 Dec 2009, 12:16 PM PST
Published : Sunday, 20 Dec 2009, 5:46 PM PST

The owner of a boat involved in a deadly collision in San Diego Bay says a Coast Guard vessel struck his boat from behind after turning around.

Roger DeWeese told The Associated Press on Monday that his 44-year-old son was driving his boat Sunday when the Coast Guard vessel sped through a harbor where a Christmas watercraft parade was being held.

DeWeese says his son told him the Coast Guard vessel turned around, and he thought it was going to turn away from his boat. Instead, he says it hit his boat from behind as he tried to speed away.

DeWeese says his 8-year-old grandson, Anthony DeWeese, was killed. Five other were seriously injured.

Neither boat was participating in the parade.

The Coast Guard declined comment, citing an ongoing investigation.

http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/news/nati...Crash_80051408

Those JACKASSES rammed my buddies Spectre last winter for no reason. They paid for a new paint job. They 19 yr olds that have never ran boat right out of high school screaming around the water ways with .40 cals. Really makes no since.

CNC 12-21-2009 04:00 PM

Gestapo of the water.
I never understood why they can stop and board you for no reason??? I takes a half hour out of my day every time I get pulled over, and I've NEVER gotten a citation. Cops can't pull you over for no reason on land (though they have been known do make up reasons).

Raylar 12-23-2009 01:27 AM

So Sad at Christmas

I live right here in San Diego and I saw this whole tragedy unfold Sunday night! Lets not be so quick to pass judgement here until all the facts and circumstances can be properly investigated and the real cause of this horrible accident can be correctly determined.
If you could see the horde of small boats out in the harbor watching the big Parade of Lights flotilla going buy its kind of hard to imagine how crowded and hectic it gets with all these small 20 foot and large vessels jockeying for a good viewing position most of which are not anchored and they are drifting and running along beside the actual parade. You then see all the harbor patrol boats and Coast Guard craft trying to keep everybody apart and avoiding collision possibilities and you can easily see how this tragedy developed. Its probably also important to know there were 13 people in this little 20 foot runabout with its very small running lights among a see of parade and spectator boats with all their lighting and see how things may have gotten difficult for the Coast Guard craft to maintain a clear way amongst this fleet. There is also a lot of discussion about the speed of the Coast Guard vessel being very fast and possibly responding to a vessel grounding, but that being said, its still the Coast Guards responsibility to maintain a proper watch, safe speed and a speed proper for the conditions.

No agency or group of boaters can always be free of accidents and mistakes, its just tragic when lives are lost.

We''ll all learn more as the investigation continues.

My prayers and condolences to the family of that little 8 year old boy and I hope that the others injured can recover fully and quickly!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Griff 12-23-2009 01:32 AM

My prayers go out to the family :(

stainless 12-23-2009 08:33 PM

So sad! Prayers to all those involved.

Comanche3Six 12-23-2009 08:42 PM

An 8 year old boy killed. A terrible tragic event......Very, very sorry for that boy's family. My prayers go out to them.
Ed

AIR TIME 12-23-2009 08:43 PM

VERY SAD god bless the child and prayers to the family. I hope the CC is punished if there at fault and not sweep it under the rug.

fubard 12-24-2009 08:50 AM

I thought the article said a 26ft Searay thats not little.

our prayers go out to them