Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anyone using XM Satellite Marine Weather? >

Anyone using XM Satellite Marine Weather?

Notices

Anyone using XM Satellite Marine Weather?

Old 12-27-2009, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Anyone using XM Satellite Marine Weather?

Do you like it and which package do you subscribe to -the SkyWatch or Fisherman? Thinking about getting it, but not really sure if it is anything more than I can off my phone today.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:30 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by damdonzi
Do you like it and which package do you subscribe to -the SkyWatch or Fisherman? Thinking about getting it, but not really sure if it is anything more than I can off my phone today.
I have it and absolutely love it. This screen shows some weather on the Gulf behind us the morning we set out for Havana from Key West. I think I have the Fisheman's package. It has kept me out of trouble and has helped me make smart navigating decisions on a number of occasions. Also it will continue to work while you are way out there beyond cell phone range.
I highly recommend it particularly if you go way offshore, but it's not cheap.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone using XM Satellite Marine Weather?-bobs-trip-havana-cuba-sept-2009-001-%5B1024x768%5D.jpg  
Old 12-27-2009, 09:39 AM
Registered

Thanks Bob. I don't plan on heading to Cuba or Mexico for the day, but you never know....

Appreciate the input. I would be running it through my Garmin as well if I got it.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have XM Weather also. I think I have the fisherman package- both are basically the same except fisherman has a few extra features that focus on water surface conditions and sailor focuses on wind conditions. I might also have the skywatch, because that seems to have a few services that the other two don't have. In fact, skywatch might be all you need.

Honestly, I wasn't that impressed with the service. The data didn't seem to be very current or specific enough. I only used it for a season and probably didn't spend enough time learning how to use it.

Oh, and I have a Garmin 4208. Hope that helps.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by richanton
I have XM Weather also. I think I have the fisherman package- both are basically the same except fisherman has a few extra features that focus on water surface conditions and sailor focuses on wind conditions. I might also have the skywatch, because that seems to have a few services that the other two don't have. In fact, skywatch might be all you need.

Honestly, I wasn't that impressed with the service. The data didn't seem to be very current or specific enough. I only used it for a season and probably didn't spend enough time learning how to use it.

Oh, and I have a Garmin 4208. Hope that helps.
Yes, thanks. The differences between each package are strange. Appreciate the feedback.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:43 PM
SOX
Semper Fi
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know C_Spray has it on his Formula and loves it.