Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Need "the OSO opinion" on a couple of trucks I'm considering... >

Need "the OSO opinion" on a couple of trucks I'm considering...

Notices

Need "the OSO opinion" on a couple of trucks I'm considering...

Old 04-13-2002, 10:27 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with car54 everyone makes lemons and they all make good trucks too. I like the Chevy's because you can put a lot of miles on them without a lot of maintenance. But I love my F250 powerstroke. My only Dodge was an old power wagon that just wouldn't die.
Old 04-14-2002, 12:29 AM
Sunsation 32

The price sounds kind of high. My father in-law bought a 95 extra cab Z-71 last year with 124,000 miles on it. He paid $12,000 and it was super clean and in excellent cond. It now has 175,000 miles on it and still runs great. It has a 6.5 deisel also.
I live in western NC and we have a classified paper called the IWANNA. They have a webb site, I think its Iwannna.com. You might can use it to compare prices.

Old 04-14-2002, 01:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Waterfoul,
If it were between those two I would go with the Chevy mainly because some Dodge's were eating transmissions. If you go with the Dodge have someone run the VIN number to see the history on it. I agree that those prices seem high for that kind of mileage. I know you want to keep the price down but did you see what a new one would cost. I think Dodge has a back up of there half tons. We had such a mild winter no one bought any new snow plow trucks. One dealer by me has about 25 of the old style Dodge's on the lot. There could be some incentives and the payments might not be that bad. If you want I could stop in the dealer and see if they have anything going.

A friend of mine bought three extended cab 4X4's last year and paid around 23,000.00 and they gave him a good interest rate. The dealer only sells snowplow trucks.

Dan
Old 04-14-2002, 08:08 AM
Registered

A couple of years ago a couple of builder friends of mine each bought a new Dodge truck at the same time (They got a deal) Within a year they both went back to GMs. Look around your town at what all the tradesmen use. These are guys who need their truck for a living. You don't see many Dodge commershal vehicles around
Old 04-14-2002, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default gm or dodge

hay guys i own a auto repair garage solid gm guy the repairs on the dodges always way more exspensive than the gms i now have a 2001 gmc 2500 hd crew cab 6000 motor and just love it towed my 34 ft magic no problem just my 3 cents worth good luck
Old 04-14-2002, 09:57 AM
brakeless

If you buy a Dodge, your'e buying it for looks not strength or durability. I did once and learned from my mistake. The Dodges are light duty trucks good for 30,000 miles.

I have F250 Diesel and pull 8,000 lbs just fine. Good luck if you buy Dodge, you'll need it.

Old 04-14-2002, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Foul,
If you are doing long distance towing check with a tranny shop on the particulars of each. Trannies always seem to be the weak link. The 4L60e in the Chevy can be beefed up a some.
Tim T.
Old 04-14-2002, 10:56 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Mike,,, just beware that Dodge is a very thirsty truck for what it is. Everyone I know complaines about there poor mileage, even Dodge agrees.

If the Chevy is low on fuel the pump gets noisy, have them fill the tank then check it. Personally I am a GM guy so I lean that way. I see 200,000 mile Gm's all the time, Dodge eats valve trains plus all the trans problems.

Just opinion and preference though,,, It's your money and you have to drive it!!!! Get what you prefer and deal with the maintenance issus later as they arrise.
Old 04-14-2002, 10:59 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike,
My son just told me they are selling the shop truck..a 97 3/4ton Chevy..with tow package, not extended cab. I think low miles.. I will ask him if you are interested.. he was talking about $11,500 I think. Not sure what condition it is in, I have not seen it for some time. It towed my 28' to hardy without any troubles.. The double pic of my boat and motor also has the truck attached to the front of the trailer..
Email me or call me if you want more info.. I will be home today, heading back to BC in the morning..

Dick
Old 04-14-2002, 11:28 AM
Registered

My GMCs fuel pump is loud to. Always been that way (80,000 miles). I wouldn't worry about it. Its a high presure injection system.

Quick Reply: Need "the OSO opinion" on a couple of trucks I'm considering...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.