Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Need "the OSO opinion" on a couple of trucks I'm considering... >

Need "the OSO opinion" on a couple of trucks I'm considering...

Notices

Need "the OSO opinion" on a couple of trucks I'm considering...

Old 04-13-2002, 05:23 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need "the OSO opinion" on a couple of trucks I'm considering...

After the debacle last week, I've once again started looking for a used truck to replace my aging (and HIGH mileage) Dodge half ton.

1998 Chevy Silverado LE 1500 ext. cab, 5.7 Vortec, 4x4, dark blue, dura liner bed liner, taneau cover, decent tires, tow package, 73,800 miles, $15,600 (after dickering with him from $15,999) Fuel pump seemed kinda noisy to me, even for a GM vehicle.

1999 Dodge 1500 SLT, 5.9 Magnum, 4x4, dark green (kinda different and interesting color), quad cab, spray on bed liner, new tires, tow package, 80,000 miles, $15,000 and I have not dickered with him yet (salesman goes to my old church and I know him pretty well). Oh, and he ownes the dealership.

I know these trucks have some miles, but I am finding that is all I can afford without going to and older truck with fewer miles (which are often the same money). My truck currently has 172,000+ miles on it, so I kinda lean towards the Dodge.

If you were to have to choose between these two vehicles, which would you choose. Try to keep the chevy/dodge war comments to yourself please.

Thanks fellas (and you ladies too).
Old 04-13-2002, 06:44 PM
Registered

Hey Foul,

I have always onwed Chevy's and just got rid of my SUPER HIGH MILEAGE Chevy for a new one and it always ran and towed like a champ! Best of luck to you on the next go around.

Shane
Old 04-13-2002, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

We have all of them in the construction yard. The Chevy has 255hp and 330 tq the Dodge has 245 and 315, but for some reason the Chevy feels much stronger when towing. I like the fact for maybe a 1k less you can get a newer vehicle (DODGE). We just have had less problems w/Chevys, 281,000 on a 1997, same vehicle you are looking at. Orig. motor but 2nd tranny. We tow between 6-10,000 with both the chevy and dodge. Buy which ever one is cleaner, you have had good luck with Dodge, work the guy on the price, good luck to ya.
Old 04-13-2002, 08:51 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default No Comparrison

Mike, dude, Buy the GM and don't look back.
My old 95 GMC just turned 211,000 miles this weekend and still runs strong as ever. Easy to work on, parts are cheap.
Old 04-13-2002, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Fowl, if I were you I`d find a nice low milage F-350 FORD to do the job

I`ve owned Ford 350`s since 1988 and I am very happy with thier trucks but it`s CHEVY POWER for the boats!!!!

Kurt.
Old 04-13-2002, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, I just gotta go with the Chevy
Old 04-13-2002, 09:10 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Thanks guys. Weighing the trucks against eachother is hard. I like both. I will agree that the Chevy feels stronger going down the road. But the dodge is newer and I like the interior better. 6 of one, half dozen of the other........ The dodge would be easier for me to finance, and actually be less $$ a month. Decisions, decisions....

I'm so confused!!!!!
Old 04-13-2002, 10:07 PM
Registered

Hey Waterfoul, Seems to me you anwsered your own deliema. Go with the Dodge, You like your old one, The interior, Less $$, easier to finance. You just like postin'
Old 04-13-2002, 10:10 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Dang....you figured me out.
Old 04-13-2002, 10:14 PM
Registered

Everybody makes lemons and everybody makes good ones. I've never had a bad Mopar so the choice would be clear for me. It’s all about which one you like.

Quick Reply: Need "the OSO opinion" on a couple of trucks I'm considering...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.