Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Tow Capacity of Excursion V-10 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/22191-tow-capacity-excursion-v-10-a.html)

BucketHead 04-13-2002 08:48 PM

Tow Capacity of Excursion V-10

I have located a 2001 Excursion V-10 with 8000 miles that is a steal. My old Chevy 454 is getting very tired.

This would make a great all around vehical, but I have a 36 Outlaw that with trailer and gear probably weighs in around 10,000 lbs.

I was going to buy a new truck, probably a dually, but this deal is too good. How will it handle my boat?

What are you guys towing weight wise with your Excursions?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks Roger

Dock Holiday 04-13-2002 09:18 PM

Roger,

We have a 2001 Excursion with V-10 and really like it. I pulled the 272 we had to Miami last October and it would cruise at any speed and really handled the boat well.

I have a new 36 Outlaw on order that will be here next month. I do not see a problem from what I have been told.

At the Washington, NC poker run year before last I spoke with a guy that pulled a 36 down from New York with the Excursion V-10 and he said it did a great job. Not long ago a guy e-mailed me that pulled a 42 Fountain with the same with V-10.

Is the truck where you can try it out with the boat? I do not think you would have a problem with it. They are not great on fuel mileage, but should be better than your 454!

Mark

nebulous 04-14-2002 09:47 AM

I have an Excursion 2000, got it new, a steal. I know it sits on a 3/4 ton chassis. Call ford directly. Ask detailed Q's and get a name for future reference
We got the ford after Local Chevy told us the tahoe limited we were looking at {big mess there} could pull & stop uor 24' Proline {No we don't fish anymore}. Needless to say after it pulled it once & it was burning up our tranny. And then I called chevy in detroit, they said yes tahoes can but not the LIMITEDS. Local chevy informed us that the tranny was our problem. Well I'm sure Nasty Habit thought he was going to have to bail me out of jail. We left chevy went around the corner & traded it in on the ford.
We had the Tahoe for 3 months and ford gave us $500 more in trade for it than we paid for it. Chalk one up for the consumer.

NASTY HABIT 04-14-2002 10:08 AM

Right out of the book......6.8L w/ 3.73 gears 10,000lbs trailer wieght , 6.8L W/ 4.30 gears 10,000lbs trl weight , 7.3L diesel w/ 3.73 gears 10,000 lbs trl weight....

might be pushing it to the warrenty threshold... guess that would be a judgement call..

we have pulled approx 7500 lbs many times both at speed and around town .... no problem at all..... cruises as fast as you care to go ... and pretty stable.. considering we came had duallies before this...

good luck...

outer42 04-14-2002 11:00 AM

have a 2000 w/ the v-10 modified it a little bit - headers,flow master exhaust,powerchip,k&n air filter. was going to put a paxton pro charger but was 4500.00 . i pull a 37 outerlimits w/ no problem . i put the drawtight bars on 85-95 no problem. i know im sick. it probally been to fla 8 or more times great truck. no mileage. ill probally put the charger on it though.

Mother 04-14-2002 03:00 PM

The 10k towing limit on the Excursion is because of GCVW [combined].

Hehe the thing is so heavy and hauls so much stuff that if you fill the truck up to its limit, there is only 10k#s left to tow with [the other F250's are like 12-13k].

So just dont fill her up with 8 people, luggage, toolbox, coolers, and then tow the boat I guess...

--Adam

Dock Holiday 04-14-2002 08:43 PM

Holy ****, That Excursion in bad. The wife and I took the day just for ourselves. Left the house this morning at 9:00am and just got back at 8:00pm. She asked what we were going to drive, and I said hand me the keys to the X. Keep in mind that this is her daily driver, and except for towing the boat, I really have not driven it much. Hit I-77 north to Virginia for lotto tickets. All up hill from here. WOW, that thing really hauls ass. I could not believe how it accelerated from 70 to 90 MPH up hill. There is a long steep grade just over the Virginia line and it was 85 to 90 all the way. We were passing everything on the interstate. I got on it a few times from a dead stop and for its size it will get up and go.

Now the wife is afraid I am going to take it away from her. Went from Virigina to Charlotte to gun show and then to the mall and back home almost to Winston Salem. Averaged 11.4 MPG and used less than a half a tank of 87 fuel. It is hard to beat for ride, comfort and performance. Now I want a new vehicle!

She has her OSO stickers and Baja stickers on the back side glass now. I will try to post some pictures soon.

Advantage_Rob 04-14-2002 10:29 PM

OK Baja Boss,
You'r making the itch for an X even worse than it was before. I'm looking for a PSD limited online right now that isnt thru the roof priced!! There are some that people are asking over 60K for, that have lifts, 5 dvd screens, stereo's, ect... I want those one's, but I'm trying to stay under 30K and it seems to be a tall order for that price!

NASTY HABIT 04-14-2002 10:35 PM

Ours is my wifes' daily too... it is a great truck......11.4 is dead on what we get...and don't forget for long trips a queen size air mattress fits nicely into the back..... are there any drive -in movie theaters left out there.......:D

MrCIG 04-15-2002 09:12 AM

I have a 2000 Excursion V10 and tow a 38 Cigarette that on the trailer weighs at least 13,000lbs. It has plenty of power I just bought the load distributing hitch I haven't tryed that yet but it should help. I friend of mine towed his 36 Outlaw with the Excursion and loves it.