Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Butzi's Earth Race Boat, Becomes Anit Whaling Vessel (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/222316-butzis-earth-race-boat-becomes-anit-whaling-vessel.html)

Wildman_grafix 01-08-2010 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ghostrider (Post 3019734)
I love this thread because it raises the profile of the whaling issue we are facing here today. We are not alone in our anti whaling stance and I can appreciate that. I can also appreciate that Americans are as prone to this level or 'reactionary proactivity' (I just made that up) as we Australians are. I was arrested by the US in 1999 for protesting against the local Native American Tribe off Port Townsend in Washington State who wanted to hunt and Kill a Humpback whale all in the name of 'cultural herritage.' I wasn't the only one busted that day I can assure you. I did see a bloke in a Zodiac try and ram the coast guard vessel. That was funny!
The Sea Shepherd Society acts because our pathetic and spineless government which promised to stop this needless, pointless and barbaric act by the japanese, has done nothing. I do not condone their methods, personally, I would use limpet mines and/or shape charges rather than an expensive and cool looking boat but that's just me.
I love the fact that this situation has raised the whole profile but I loathe the idea that it did so at the cost of the integrity of Australia's stance against this stupid and archaic practice.

Just think, if this were happening in American waters as your Gray Whales and Humpbacks migrate north past California and Washignton en-route to Alaska every year and you had a fleet of Jap ships sitting just outside in 'Canadian' waters claiming them to be 'international,' What do you think you lot would do? Remember, you have a lot more guns than we do!

Good post.

T2x 01-08-2010 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Catmando (Post 3019728)
@ T2x

In 2008 Earthrace set a new Round the World record of 60 days 23 hours 49 minutes. The old record was 74 days 20 hours 58 minutes.

Their website doesn't say what props were used but it wouldn't surprise me if Capt. Bethune tried some type of composite prop. Having said that, doesn't matter whether they were composite or metal props, they got the job done and set the record.

And as to the type of fuel used, Bethune wanted to make a statement and he did. More power to him AND to the motors which worked very well on Biodiesel.

One other thing; a "piece of floating dung" would not have set an around the world record.

1. From Wikipedia:

Earthrace was intended to showcase environmentally friendly technologies. It broke the world record for circumnavigating the globe in a motorized boat.[2] It set the record in 60 days 23 hours and 49 minutes. This beat the record set by the Cable and Wireless Adventurer (now the Ocean 7 Adventurer) by 13 days 21 hours and 9 minutes but the time is still behind Orange II's overall world record of 50 days and 16 hours, which was achieved under sails instead.[1]

2. "The Failure":

[edit] 2007
The attempt originally departed from Barbados on March 10, 2007 but encountered significant delays including problems with the propellers and other mechanical problems.

A problem with an engine off Palau caused an 8-day delay because of the remoteness.[15] On the night of March 19, 2007, while around 22km offshore from Guatemala, Earthrace collided with a local fishing boat. No Earthrace crew were hurt, but one of the three crew members from the fishing boat was killed.[16] The crew was absolved of any responsibility after a 10-day investigation during which they were held.[17] The delays prevented Earthrace from completing the circumnavigation in record time, but because Earthrace took an official start time when leaving San Diego, the team decided to "restart" with this new start/finish line. They departed San Diego on 7 April 2007 and needed to return by 21 June to break the record. [15] However, the attempt was abandoned on 31 May 2007 after a crack was discovered in the hull shortly after leaving Malaga, Spain
[18]

3. Apparently they attempted to break the record again in 2008 and did in fact beat the Cable and Wireless boat's time....however they sre still well short of the record held by a sailboat and numerous commercial and military vessels.
Based on their sterling record of hyperbole and misadventures (dead fisherman)...this is little more than another means of bending the facts to suit their agenda.

I maintain my position that this was nothing more than a badly planned, pointless publicity stunt to showcase the "economy" of "green" technology which resulted in what has to be one of the most costly (in both dollars and human lives) fiascos in boating history. It also had nothing to do with performance boating and, no doubt, a properly planned assault using Gentry"s Turbo Eagle or Buzzi's Spirit of Argentina (which can also burn biodiesel) would have made mincemeat out of all the existing records (except for those classified military voyages in Submarines and etc.)

This was no Kon Tiki...........

T2x

GLH 01-08-2010 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos (Post 3019704)
Front page news here in the LA Times.

Confirmation of the irrelevance of the event then....

T2x 01-08-2010 07:48 AM

Just think, if this were happening in American waters as your Gray Whales and Humpbacks migrate north past California and Washignton en-route to Alaska every year and you had a fleet of Jap ships sitting just outside in 'Canadian' waters claiming them to be 'international,' What do you think you lot would do? Remember, you have a lot more guns than we do!

Our Government would use our compliant media to bury the whaling story and use the resultant news space to push National Health Care and Cap and Trade legislation down our unwilling throats.......

I like your idea about mines by the way....and whaling does, in fact, suck.

T2x

GLH 01-08-2010 07:51 AM

...What do you think you lot would do?

Work our azzes off to achieve security and a better life for our families instead of being suckered in futile useless non-consequential fights fooling ourselves into thinking we are doing good...

One day you'll wake up intellectually not having saved sh!t and broke. Then you'll start work that will actually help your family and country but you'll realize you wasted a ton of time on whales and will always be behind in achieving.

Have a good day and hug a tree for me.

PhantomChaos 01-08-2010 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 3019768)
If you don't think there were chemical weapons, terrorist training camps and a nuclear program in Iraq, I've got a bridge to sell you. However, I believe strongly that little Bush tried to complete his dady's unfinished business. That having been said we haven't had a logical, strategically focused Presidential administration since Reagan IMHO.

I agree with you......!

P.S. What is the bridge made of and what construction type? :D

PhantomChaos 01-08-2010 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by GLH (Post 3019781)
Work our azzes off to achieve security and a better life for our families instead of being suckered in futile useless non-consequential fights fooling ourselves into thinking we are doing good...

One day you'll wake up intellectually not having saved sh!t and broke. Then you'll start work that will actually help your family and country but you'll realize you wasted a ton of time on whales and will always be behind in achieving.

Have a good day and hug a tree for me.

Come on........did non-action by people sitting on couches stop whaling as a whole in the first place? Mankind by nature seems to put $$ over environmental well being time and time again unless others take action curb or limit it. In the long run we are saving ourselves too. I mean.....didn't you see Star Trek IV? :D :D
  • Whaling
  • Strip mining
  • Chemical dumping in rivers
  • Above ground nuke testing
  • Leaded gasoline
  • Blah blah blah

"This is an extremely primative and paranoid culture" :D

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dfts9WLXINE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dfts9WLXINE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

T2x 01-08-2010 09:58 AM

Speaking of Marxist hypocrites

The Obama administration Tuesday opposed Michigan and other states that want to close shipping locks near Chicago to prevent ravenous Asian carp from invading the Great Lakes.
Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox filed a lawsuit with the nation's highest court last month. It asked that several locks on waterways south of Chicago be closed immediately as a first step toward eventually severing a century-old artificial link between the Great Lakes and the Mississippi River basin.

The waterways, including the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal, are infested with bighead and silver carp that have been migrating northward in the Mississippi and Illinois rivers for decades. They can grow up to 4 feet long and 100 pounds and are notorious for starving out other fish species.

Officials poisoned a section of the canal in December after discovering genetic material that suggested at least some carp had eluded an electric barrier and could be within 6 miles of Lake Michigan. If so, the only other obstacles between them and the lake are shipping locks and gates.

Minnesota, New York, Ohio and Wisconsin and the Canadian province of Ontario have filed documents supporting Michigan's position.

Illinois, named as a defendant in the lawsuit along with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and a Chicago agency, submitted papers Tuesday saying Michigan had not made a convincing case for an immediate court order.

Kagan said closing the locks would require using more expensive means to haul coal and other commodities between the lakes and the Mississippi River system. Switching to land transportation would cost shippers nearly 10 percent of their cargo's total value, she said.

T2x 01-08-2010 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos (Post 3019841)
Come on........did non-action by people sitting on couches stop whaling as a whole in the first place? Mankind by nature seems to put $$ over environmental well being time and time again unless others take action curb or limit it. In the long run we are saving ourselves too. I mean.....didn't you see Star Trek IV? :D :D
  • Whaling
  • Strip mining
  • Chemical dumping in rivers
  • Above ground nuke testing
  • Leaded gasoline
  • Blah blah blah

"This is an extremely primative and paranoid culture" :D

You realise that you are quoting a script out of liberal Hollywood and not the words of a space traveler from the future I hope?

GLH 01-08-2010 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos (Post 3019841)
I mean.....didn't you see Star Trek IV?

No I was busy in 1986...
http://xbc.xanga.com/3c8a6716c9c3083.../w57247231.gif