Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Whipple 700sci Mods (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/222448-whipple-700sci-mods.html)

CB-BLR 02-03-2010 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin (Post 3037562)
that's a good question. What is the recommended rebuild time stock(merc) and what with the wick turned up? Is merc using the good H beam rods and good pistons?

Stock recommended rebuild time on a 700sci is 400 hours.
Yes, merc is using the good H beam rods and good pistons. I have been told that the crank is good for under 1000 hp.

Im guessing that the rebuild time will be cut to around 300 hrs. I will research this.

Chris

Young Performance 02-03-2010 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by CB-BLR (Post 3037688)
Stock recommended rebuild time on a 700sci is 400 hours.
Chris

Is the stock rebuild time that long? I thought it was less than that, but what do I know. I've been wrong before.
I don't see why they wouldn't last for 300 hours with the Stage II upgrade.
Doesn't Merc. use Manley rods in that engine?
Eddie

MDGperformance 02-03-2010 06:32 PM

I see that dustin is working tunning the pcm 555,I wonder why they still replace the pcm 555 with the mefi4 on the 525 kits adds a lot to the price of kits,thinking about installing a set on my 38zrc adds about 2k per kit using the mefi,could use the extra money to buy a set of imco scx uppers

Boat1 02-04-2010 10:16 AM

The 525 PCM does not have the drivers for the bypass valve, the wiring harness is very different, coil locations and style are different, to name a few concerns. I was trying to retain smartcraft and install SC kits on the 525. I'd say the MEFI 4 is a Whipple standard, and the 555 is Merc standard. It is cost prohibitive for me to buy the PCM, wiring harness, etc just to retain smartcraft. I'd say it is cost prohibitive for Whipple to develop a tune for one engine application/tune. Both systems are good it's just economics and time.

CB-BLR 02-04-2010 08:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For 600sci and 700sci motors:

Here is the cad drawing for the new Whipple spark arrestor for the 600sci and 700sci motors.

During the course of dyno testing my motor, and later confirmed by testing a 700sci, Dustin discovered that the stock air cleaner was robbing between 20 and 30 horsepower once the motor was producing over about 720 hp.

This new breather uses the same mesh that Whipple uses in the rear of their superchargers, and will come anodized in custom colors to match your motor.

Note the use of mesh at the rear of the assembly to further aid in air quantity.

Dustin says about two weeks before production pieces are available.

This thing looks trick!
I can't wait to get one on my motor!

Chris

Raylar 02-04-2010 10:22 PM

I am confused here with the statement about the Mercury PCM555 not having a control for the blower bypass valve? The stock Mercury Racing 700SCI has electronic blower bypass (boost control) standard on the engine from Mercury, why would it not have this feature on a re-programmed 700SCI PCM555?

By the way, the Mefi4 that is being used only has batch (A&B) only injector control and on a port injected blower engine with the injectors after the blower I am not sure this is the best fuel distribution for this engine.

I would also think it might be better to stay with the mercury Guardian control system that Mercury uses in the PCM555 programming they use for engine protection and peace of mind?

Just some thoughts and questions here.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

CB-BLR 02-05-2010 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Raylar (Post 3039175)
I am confused here with the statement about the Mercury PCM555 not having a control for the blower bypass valve? The stock Mercury Racing 700SCI has electronic blower bypass (boost control) standard on the engine from Mercury, why would it not have this feature on a re-programmed 700SCI PCM555?

Ray @ Raylar

The PCM555 on the 600sci, and 700sci, does have electornic boost bypass control in both stock form and modified forms. I don't know why the previous poster thought it didn't.

Chris

gnorthga 02-05-2010 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by CB-BLR (Post 3039226)
The PCM555 on the 600sci, and 700sci, does have electornic boost bypass control in both stock form and modified forms. I don't know why the previous poster thought it didn't.

Chris

Chris you are going to have your hands full when you get that boat in the water

I bet you cant wait

ktron 02-05-2010 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by CB-BLR (Post 3039041)
For 600sci and 700sci motors:

Here is the cad drawing for the new Whipple spark arrestor for the 600sci and 700sci motors.

During the course of dyno testing my motor, and later confirmed by testing a 700sci, Dustin discovered that the stock air cleaner was robbing between 20 and 30 horsepower once the motor was producing over about 720 hp.

This new breather uses the same mesh that Whipple uses in the rear of their superchargers, and will come anodized in custom colors to match your motor.

Note the use of mesh at the rear of the assembly to further aid in air quantity.

Dustin says about two weeks before production pieces are available.

This thing looks trick!
I can't wait to get one on my motor!

Chris

I want 2!:drink:

Boat1 02-05-2010 09:55 AM

I was talking specifically about the 525 engine package, then adding a supercharger. The 525, PCM 555, does not have the by-pass driver installed. The Whipple kits offered use MEFI 4, which is not compatible with smartcraft. For me to retain smartcraft and add a supercharger it would require additional parts not in the kit. I was responding to the post about the 525 application, and reprogramming its PCM 555.