Notices

Whipple 700sci Mods

Old 01-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whipple 700sci Mods

While I am waiting for my heads to get ported for my 600sci, Dustin strapped a 700sci on the dyno to see what he could do with his power-up kits.

Stock 700sci = 669 horsepower on three consecutive runs.

Pretty pathetic!

I am starting to see a merc trend here... my stock 600sci only made 579 horsepower.

Now for the good news... Stage I ... PCM reprogram only... 780 horsepower!

That is a 111 horsepower gain with just good tuning!

Wowser!!

These motors are extremely de-tuned from the factory.

Stay tuned for the stage II updates

Chris

Last edited by CB-BLR; 01-09-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CB-BLR
While I am waiting for my heads to get ported for my 600sci, Dustin strapped a 700sci on the dyno to see what he could do with his power-up kits.

Stock 700sci = 669 horsepower on three cosecutive runs.

Pretty pathetic!

I am starting to see a merc trend here... my stock 600sci made 579 horsepower.

Now for the good news... Stage I ... PCM reprogram only... 780 horsepower!

That is a 111 horsepower gain with just good tuning!

Wowser!!

These motors are extremely de-tuned from the factory.

Stay tuned for the stage II updates

Chris
As usual - good info Chris.

Good to see someone actually taking the time to do baseline testing.

I am not surprised & I have said before that this was my experience dynoing 2 of my own merc engines.

Then I was attacked by a legion people that havent ever seen a dyno that I was full of it and "anti merc" & that they all deliver "way more" HP than claimed because "all Merc # 's are at the prop". (BS)

I love merc, and would do the same thing if I sold engines like this en mass and had to warranty them from newbys.

Uncle Dave
Old 01-08-2010, 11:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, Im ready... let it roll.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:05 AM
Registered

Old 01-09-2010, 10:23 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Historically, Mercury has delivered a product with more horsepower than it was labeled. That started back in the 1960's with the outboards. Sorry to hear that your motor made 669 hp. Not sure what the factors were why it made 669, hours of operation, tuning, whatever. The good news is that there was a cure for your motor and Dustin Whipple solved it, now with that said, how much does it cost to get this 111 hp. I am sure many people want that additonal 111 hp, and it is probably affordable.

From the Mecury point of view, if that was dynoed as new, and it made 669 hp, you did not get what you bargained for, and that is an issue (legal). The remedy is, "get me a 700 hp motor (crankshaft hp), or fix my motor."

Good marketing, and a solution to a problem (wanting more horspower, the tune job will sell it-self without marketing). You should get a commission for starting the thread!

Last edited by Smarty; 01-09-2010 at 12:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Chris
Gold Member

The 700sci is not my motor, but another customer of Dustin's, with low hours on the motor.

As I pointed out earlier, my 600sci, with 43 hours on it, made only 579 horsepower stock. Both of these motors were aproximately 5% down on advertized power.

I believe that this customers other 700sci actually made three less horsepower than the one currently on the dyno.

So far, Merc is batting three for three on Dustin's dyno...ie three strikes against them on producing less than advertized horsepower. I am not upset by this...just reporting the findings. My boat has always run better than I expected.
As you pointed out... Dustin has a cure for the horsepower blues.

I can not comment on the price of the Whipples upgrades... he has asked me not to... call them for a price
I don't believe that the price on stages 3-5 have yet been determined.
Dustin is compensating me for the use of my motor as a test mule...ie I am not being charged anything, and will receive my motor back in a stage 5 configuration.
I find him to be extremely fair.

My motor upgrades are documented in the 600sci thread that I have been writing. At stages 3 and up, the modification horsepowers shown are for both the 600sci and the 700sci, being that they are at that point mechanically identical.

Chris

Last edited by CB-BLR; 01-09-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

I would just like to point out something here for our OSO readers.
When you talk about just doing reporgramming on a electronically controlled supercharged engine like the 600sci or 700sci we need to point out here that what's really happening with this reprogramming to the engine is one, the electronically controlled boost control valve is having its opening point modified in the program to create higher boost levels which will obviously create more power such as you are seeing with Whipples work on these engines. I suspect also that rpm limits may be changing also.
My guess is that boost on these Merc Racing engines is probably limited to about 6-8 pounds of total boost maybe slightly more and after the program changes that is being raised 3-5 lbs possibly. This will produce great power increases and obviously make the dyno sheet look like a real Winner! However it is important to let all OSO'ers and Merc 600sci and 700sci owners or planned users know this will ultimatly have a very measurable effect on engine life and reliability most likely.

I suspect Mercury Racing who is giving warranties on these engines and trying to make sure these two model engines go out in the performance boat market and deliver some reasonable engine hours before freshening or overhaul is required and they certainly don't want to suffer from the negative effects of some of these engines grenading after being pushed harder to these levels of power.
Obviously if the users want to raise the boost levels on any supercharged engines they can dramatically improve power, but its important to think about and realize the effects on engine life and reliability as a reasonable trade off for these increases.

I know there is always hidden power possiblities in most marine performance engines, but the users always have to weigh the gain versus loss of life and reliability issues before they just go out and modify their boost levels.

Chris:
I love reading and following your project on your Merc SCI engine with Dustins very capable efforts and results. I realize if we sometimes don't push the limits of output a little more once in a while, we would never really know whats possible. Glad to see you doing it with your engine and look forward to all the results and outcomes.
Best of luck on all your endeavors!

PS: Yes serious head work is needed on those heads as we have seen with our HP525 upgrade project!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 01-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Registered

I thought the 700 has a bigger innercooler over the 600?
Old 01-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Back4More
I thought the 700 has a bigger innercooler over the 600?
The 700sci does have a 1/2 inch taller innercooler which helps it maintain loaded horsepower better. This does not generally effect horsepower on a dyno because of the short dyno runs.

Dustin's kits include a water re-route which drastically reduces the intake temperatures.
Putting a seperate pickup on the boat for the innercooler would be even more efficient.

Chris

Last edited by CB-BLR; 01-09-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Raylar
I would just like to point out something here for our OSO readers.
When you talk about just doing reporgramming on a electronically controlled supercharged engine like the 600sci or 700sci we need to point out here that what's really happening with this reprogramming to the engine is one, the electronically controlled boost control valve is having its opening point modified in the program to create higher boost levels which will obviously create more power such as you are seeing with Whipples work on these engines. I suspect also that rpm limits may be changing also.
My guess is that boost on these Merc Racing engines is probably limited to about 6-8 pounds of total boost maybe slightly more and after the program changes that is being raised 3-5 lbs possibly. This will produce great power increases and obviously make the dyno sheet look like a real Winner! However it is important to let all OSO'ers and Merc 600sci and 700sci owners or planned users know this will ultimatly have a very measurable effect on engine life and reliability most likely.

I suspect Mercury Racing who is giving warranties on these engines and trying to make sure these two model engines go out in the performance boat market and deliver some reasonable engine hours before freshening or overhaul is required and they certainly don't want to suffer from the negative effects of some of these engines grenading after being pushed harder to these levels of power.
Obviously if the users want to raise the boost levels on any supercharged engines they can dramatically improve power, but its important to think about and realize the effects on engine life and reliability as a reasonable trade off for these increases.

I know there is always hidden power possiblities in most marine performance engines, but the users always have to weigh the gain versus loss of life and reliability issues before they just go out and modify their boost levels.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Stock boost on the 600sci is 5lbs at 5400 rpm.
Stock boost on the 700sci is 7lbs at 5400 rpm.

The stage 1 kit uses the stock supercharger pulley, so increased boost is a matter of rpm. (typically about 2 lbs of boost increase respectively)

The rev limiter is raised aproximately 400 rpm.
The timing curve is altered.
The fuel curve is altered.
The boost curve is altered via the boost bypass controller.
The innercooler water supply is re-routed in order to pick up cooler water, thereby lowering intake temperatures below stock levels.

Both motors have a stock 7.5 to 1 compression ratio, which is extremely low.

Of note is that both of these motors are able to acheive over their advertized horsepower ratings at just 100 rpm above the stock 5400 rev limiter.

Chris

Last edited by CB-BLR; 01-09-2010 at 08:18 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.