How cold to require winterzing? >

How cold to require winterzing?

Notices

How cold to require winterzing?

Old 01-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How cold to require winterzing?

As the cold snap pushes south it occurred to me lots of people in places that never freeze (like me in Tampa Bay Area) are getting some freezing weather. From what I remember from thermodynamics class a couple hundred pounds of cast iron will have some thermal momentum and not freeze super fast but how cold for how long before you need to worry?
Old 01-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Registered

2 or more nights in the teens and not comming up above freezing the during the day will usually be bad news.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:31 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

If the day time temps are above 40 it's nearly impossible for it to get cold enough/long enough over night to do any damage. If the day time temps hover at 32 or less then drop more over night(s) then you'll likely have a problem....
We'll find out how well Virginians winterized come spring. Last year we had a warm winter with only a few days that stayed below 32...this year since Christmas we've only had 3 days that got above 35 and all our nights have been high 20's to mid teens.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

HAPPY,put a couple 100 watt bulbs ,one on each side of the oilpan,then close the hatch,the heat from the bulbs will keep it above freezing in the bilge.im just south of chicago,its been zero or below every night for at least a week,man this sucks.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 366 Likes on 245 Posts

Don't take a chance... invest 100$ in winterizing instead of blowing thousands in engines!
Old 01-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Registered

I was once told 24 degrees for 24 hours ???
But never tried it
Thumper
Old 01-12-2010, 06:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

one or two nights dipping down into the 20's isn't going to hurt you assuming it warms back up during the day.

I sleep REALLY well knowing that my blocks are full of anti freeze, but you're in FL. If I were you I would either throw a couple lightbulbs in there, or invest in a heater.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:26 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by happy hours
As the cold snap pushes south it occurred to me lots of people in places that never freeze (like me in Tampa Bay Area) are getting some freezing weather. From what I remember from thermodynamics class a couple hundred pounds of cast iron will have some thermal momentum and not freeze super fast but how cold for how long before you need to worry?
Our rule is under 32* for 24 hours.

However for small cold snaps like your getting just putting a 100 watt lightbulb in the engine compartment for the cold night would be enough to prevent freezing.... providing it is lit...
Old 01-12-2010, 08:09 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH
Our rule is under 32* for 24 hours.

However for small cold snaps like your getting just putting a 100 watt lightbulb in the engine compartment for the cold night would be enough to prevent freezing.... providing it is lit...
Yes. Be sure to turn it on. LOL I agree. All you need is a something like this to generate a bit of heat for anyone in FL.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:00 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
Yes. Be sure to turn it on. LOL I agree. All you need is a something like this to generate a bit of heat for anyone in FL.
Never assume the obvious!!! My employees had me realize that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.