Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Does Octane Booster work in a pinch??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/222480-does-octane-booster-work-pinch.html)

Rattlesnake Jake 01-10-2010 05:25 AM

I believe that Whipple says NOT to use Octane boosters of any kind.

live wire 01-10-2010 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Young Performance (Post 3020910)
In short.......NO. It's not going to make a worth-while difference.
Eddie

Thanks everyone... So I guess the question is what does everyone do about it ???

I fequently take the boat on long day trips or weekenders sometimes over 100 miles one direction.I fill up the boat with 93 on the way to the ramp but them once out on the the water can only get 87 or 89 . So what do you guys do in this sitiuation ???

H2Xmark 01-10-2010 08:15 AM

you might click on the link i posted and scroll down to the lucas booster and click it, 1 bottle raised the octane a little over 3 full points on a tank of fuel [car] so you would need to have 4 or 5 cans in your boat [80 gal's]

PatriYacht 01-10-2010 08:23 AM

5 or 10 gallons of race fuel would be a better Octane boost in most cases. I have wondered about ways to store it and transfer it safely. Any ideas?

Biggus 01-10-2010 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by live wire (Post 3021032)
Thanks everyone... So I guess the question is what does everyone do about it ???

I fequently take the boat on long day trips or weekenders sometimes over 100 miles one direction.I fill up the boat with 93 on the way to the ramp but them once out on the the water can only get 87 or 89 . So what do you guys do in this sitiuation ???

We have the same problem up here in Maine. There is no more premium fuel on the water. I always fill up on the trailer as we don't trust the quality of fuel at the docks.

It's getting to be a real pain having to run premium exclusively and definitely limits my boating. If you are going to continue long distance cruises, I'd re-think your engine build.

Kurt

Biggus 01-10-2010 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by PatriYacht (Post 3021053)
5 or 10 gallons of race fuel would be a better Octane boost in most cases. I have wondered about ways to store it and transfer it safely. Any ideas?

Right On Ian!:drink:

live wire 01-10-2010 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Biggus (Post 3021071)
If you are going to continue long distance cruises, I'd re-think your engine build.

Kurt

I've adressed this concern with the builder and we are setting the motor with as little as boost as possible to keep it close to the set up I've been running for the last 2 summers at the 91 octane rating reccomended by whipple.

What I usally do is top the boat off with 93 and run it to half a tank then top off with 89 which is common at most marinas.Hoping that this mix brings me close to the reccomened 91 octane If I on a real long trip Ill do it again at half a tank. Then be real careful not to run in the boost for the rest of the trip.But this becomes a hassle I feel like I'm always on a quest for fuel.

I'm wondering how everyone else handles this situation ?

Brad Zastrow 01-10-2010 11:35 AM

I think you are taking chances that may cost you an engine. I would only run high octane in a blower engine designed to run on 91 octane. Maybe carrry gas cans of race fuel to add with your 89 or do not go so far.

indywhsle 01-10-2010 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by PatriYacht (Post 3021053)

I have the same problem and have been thinking about getting a five gallon c16 from vp racing fuel to take with me. You can get it in a sealed metal tank so you won't have to worry about it spilling. They also have c12 but if I am going to have to put a large amount of 87 or 89 in I want the highest octane I can get. c16 is 117 and c12 is 108.