Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   63' Bertram Possibly stuffed off SC??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/222619-63-bertram-possibly-stuffed-off-sc.html)

tommymonza 01-18-2010 11:55 AM

WOW Just finished watching the video of the sunk Bertram.

All i can say is i don't think 2 or 3 layers of some biaxe on each side of some 3/4 foam core stands a chance of holding up against tons of water being driven into with a 100 thousand pounds of boat behind it.

Man that thing is paper thin and also lacked any real structural backing such as some interior framework or real bulheads.

If i owned a newer Bertram right now i would be afraid to take it out on anything but a flat calm day.

Steve 1 01-18-2010 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by tommymonza (Post 3026362)

All i can say is i don't think 2 or 3 layers of some biaxe on each side of some 3/4 foam core stands a chance of holding up against tons of water being driven into with a 100 thousand pounds of boat behind it.

Man that thing is paper thin and also lacked any real structural backing such as some interior framework or real bulheads.

If i owned a newer Bertram right now i would be afraid to take it out on anything but a flat calm day.

True but what is the fabric weight ,reinforcement only, this comes up to 64 oz from a lot of suppliers?

PhantomChaos 01-18-2010 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave (Post 3026135)
Between posts I been driving the skin boat to tuna town.

UD

I thought you were in the garage with the guys pulling a motor and getting hammered? :D

glassdave 01-18-2010 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by tommymonza (Post 3026362)

Is the video avaliable on line somewhere? I hadnt seen a link to it.

Tommy you'd be surprised at how (dimensionally) thin most core skin laminates on performance boats are after bagging. I have an epoxy/baltek boat in my shot that has a paper thin outer skin on it but its strong as he!! because it was so well done. Working on these boats can be a challenge as just a touch with a grinder and you are at core already. Then again this schedule was made for a 6.5K pound boat and would not be a good layup for a big sportfish like this 630.

Steve 1 01-18-2010 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 3026395)

Tommy you'd be surprised at how (dimensionally) thin most core skin laminates on performance boats are after bagging. I have an epoxy/baltek boat in my shot that has a paper thin outer skin on it but its strong as he!! because it was so well done. Working on these boats can be a challenge as just a touch with a grinder and you are at core already. Then again this schedule was made for a 6.5K pound boat and would not be a good layup for a big sportfish like this 630.

Dave what kind of core is in the Talon?

Uncle Dave 01-18-2010 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos (Post 3026383)
I thought you were in the garage with the guys pulling a motor and getting hammered? :D

You got days and nights to work with.....

UD

tommymonza 01-18-2010 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 3026395)

Dave i understand how a thin skin can survive on a light boat as the reflective forcefrom the water is in correlation with how heavy the boat is.Also there is molded in structural shapes and lines that reinforce these light areas.
A big broad concave area like the front of the Bertram needs a lot more than they were putting into it. Take a look back at Pauls site and see the bows are fully double framed than 1 inch planked than 1/4 inch ply and a layer of 1808 over that all built in a convex shape. Now compare that with some flimsy 3/4 inch foam with a 2 or 3 layers of biaxe on each side with no interior bracing with a convex shape to boot.

Dave you have to sign up on Yacht Forums to view it they just released the video today.

glassdave 01-18-2010 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Steve 1 (Post 3026400)
Dave what kind of core is in the Talon?

The Talon is 100% foam, hull sides(3/4") and running surface(2"), bagged with vinylester. I also have a couple Skaters at the moment and they are bagged epoxy/Baltek boats.

The Talon was pretty thin as well. I had to fix a pretty good hole in it from the 08 Key West Worlds.

glassdave 01-18-2010 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by tommymonza (Post 3026414)
Dave i understand how a thin skin can survive on a light boat as the reflective forcefrom the water is in correlation with how heavy the boat is.Also there is molded in structural shapes and lines that reinforce these light areas.
A big broad concave area like the front of the Bertram needs a lot more than they were putting into it. Take a look back at Pauls site and see the bows are fully double framed than 1 inch planked than 1/4 inch ply and a layer of 1808 over that all built in a convex shape. Now compare that with some flimsy 3/4 inch foam with a 2 or 3 layers of biaxe on each side with no interior bracing with a convex shape to boot.

Dave you have to sign up on Yacht Forums to view it they just relaesed the video today.

100% agreed, big boats need a big laminate :D

Thanks I will go check out YF. I'm on there as Gordon Freeman :D:cool:

tommymonza 01-18-2010 01:14 PM

Who is Gordon Freeman ?