Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
63' Bertram Possibly stuffed off SC??? >

63' Bertram Possibly stuffed off SC???

Notices

63' Bertram Possibly stuffed off SC???

Old 01-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 596 Likes on 242 Posts

Quite amazing they are all built by eye huh.Paul showed me a video one time of him jumping 10 foot swells in a 54 he built like he was running around in a 18 foot Donzi.

Last edited by tommymonza; 01-13-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 596 Likes on 242 Posts

Hey Dave I have a old Woodenboat that has the full story about the Carolina builders in it from years ago. I think i can buy the PDF online at Woodenboat. I will see if i can send it over i think you would appreciate the story.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a could of quick points... Allegedly the seas were 4-6' where the boat sunk on the day in question, and the captain did SAY he was going approximately 24 knots, but there is speculation that he was going much faster. The owner wanted the boat delievered in a hurry, and the captain was trying to meet a dead-line. I know if I was in a hurry, behind schedule, and a disgruntled boat owner breathing down my neck, I would probably not drive a boat that can go 43 knots at a speed of 24...
Old 01-13-2010, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by animalhouse
There is nothing wrong with a cored boat, if done properly. In fact if done properly the cored laminate is just as strong or stronger, with a serious weight advantage.
This is absolutely correct.

Foam Core is Really light, but not as strong as balsa.

Balsa is technically "wood" (although end grain balsa has vastly different soak properties) but if vac bagged/infused will display none of the weaknesses or downsides of "wood".

As has been said before, without vacuum bagging or resin infusion its VERY hard to get the core material to bond properly and you get what you see here.

I looked at the bertram site and they dont specify what layup style they are using, but this looks like they are having a bonding problem.

Dave Sampson
Old 01-13-2010, 07:02 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Hey Dave I have a old Woodenboat that has the full story about the Carolina builders in it from years ago. I think i can buy the PDF online at Woodenboat. I will see if i can send it over i think you would appreciate the story.
definitely man that would be great. Thanks
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with tommymonza's opinion on this..

There was an article in professional boatbuilder about the Carolina Boat Builders.

Turkish boatbuilder Vicem builds in the wood epoxy style, as written about in professional boatbuilder. This link has the text from the article. Unfortunately, the build photos are not included.

http://www.marina42.net/cgi-bin/p/m4...yachts&id=1389
Old 01-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by vtec
I'm with tommymonza's opinion on this..

There was an article in professional boatbuilder about the Carolina Boat Builders.

Turkish boatbuilder Vicem builds in the wood epoxy style, as written about in professional boatbuilder. This link has the text from the article. Unfortunately, the build photos are not included.

http://www.marina42.net/cgi-bin/p/m4...yachts&id=1389
heres the pdf of that issue with pics, they have a bunch of back issues on their website.

http://www.proboat-digital.com/proboat/200608/

page 34 Made in Turkey
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Professional Boatbuilder feb/mar 2004 has an article about Carolina builders Jarrett Bay, and Sea Island Boatworks, with a sidebar article mentioning Rybovich, Ricky Scarborough, and Mann Custom Boats.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:05 PM
NoQuarter

[QUOTEhttp://www.paulmanncustomboats.com/[/QUOTE]

Foam, balsa, wood... now I'm confused. I thought foam coring and vacuum bagging made a stronger-than-wood adhesion - less weight reducing stress.

Looking at Tony Montana's website, his plywood design looks like it would not only take 12' seas, but .50 cal hits at the same time.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:17 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glassdave
oops, just saw this. Yea thats a lot of available forces there. Delams only need a small breach to become catastrophic but man this thing is a mess.
a little Coosa, some epoxy and some fairing, it would be as good as new.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.