Ahh the good old days - 33' Powerplay >

Ahh the good old days - 33' Powerplay

Notices

Ahh the good old days - 33' Powerplay

Old 01-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ahh the good old days - 33' Powerplay

Found this old ad. What a great boat. It's a shame they are not made anymore.

Performance Marine PowerPlay 33' Sportdeck
Twin Performance Boat Loans 502/Bravo Ones

The sport of offshore ocean racing, and the hull and setup technology that has been left in its wake,
have inspired an entire breed of recreational muscleboats.
A number of the better ones are built by smallish, independent companies,
who work closely with their customers to meet specific performance aspirations.
Powerplay of Ft. Lauderdale has positioned itself in the thick of this discriminating
market with their lineup of enthusiast-level vee-bottom machines, a procession of which
have impressed our test team with their fast, reliable performance resumé.
Conditions could not have been better suited to a real-world romp with the Sport Deck version
of Powerplay’s best-selling 33-foot deep-vee, this particular copy of which had been attentively
rigged by us at Performance Marine Trading of Pompano Beach, Florida, before it found our way into our mix.
To our advantage, Performance Marine Trading is somewhat familiar with the Powerplay species;
our shop is home to previous year’s national Champion A-Class boat in Super Boat International (SBI),
a 28-footer that’s throttled by Patrick Sullivan.
Our test boat’s setup and philosophy lends insight to the performance goals of a good segment
of Powerplay’s clientele. This boat was designedto be a turnkey, low-maintenance 70-miles-an-hour ride,
day in and day out, without worrying about hurting parts. Of course, we also wanted solid performance
in rough water, a given in Powerplay’s repertoire.
Performance Marine Trading's interpretation of this vision called for plenty of cubic inches
(twin 502s )from Yacht Financing, Refinancing Sailboat and RV Loans Marine.

The factory 502's put this 8,000-pounder past the
70 mark at an easy-breathing 4,000, as per our request.
But that’s just where the fun began. Our team took the sharp-handling vee to a
radar-snapped 75.5-mph trip down the course, a very satisfying number unfurled by
our twin-MPI/Bravo train, which ran a massaged, four-blade 26-inch Bravo through 1.5:1 gearing.

Mayfair steering kept the thrills in proper context.
Our test 33’s rigging and installation showed the same meticulous workmanship and thorough
attention to detail that’s likely found on Powerplay’s race boats.
Joey Earl of Kangaroo Graphics finished off his painted TPG graphics with a coat of clear,
and the finish work here and elsewhere was unfailingly tight. All wiring was neatly tied and routed;
hardware found its proper place and was installed with the duration in mind.

Block-type, offshore bolster seating snugly wrapped the front passengers, with stainless
mounting anchoring them to the boat’s soul. Rear-bench seating provided plenty of deep,
comfortable support, and grab railing was within easy reach of all aboard—a detail worth
consideration with the speedo needle dancing with 80 as you careen through mixed, windblown, three-foot swells.
Powerplay drew on their high-performance experience in the placing of the starboard-mounted Kiekhaefer
controls, tab controls, wheel, switches and gauges. Everything felt right, within short order of
moving into the driver’s seat.
Every boat is built to suit, though most owners opt for a basic, weight-saving trim below.
Our tester was typical in its clean, straightforward installation,
and amenities were limited to a lounge-type couch, anchor compartment and interior lighting package.

Performance
The healthy lope of the 502 cams didn’t interfere with its smooth, stall-free shifts in and out of gear,
and it was impossible not to be impressed with the package’s maneuverability and agile dockside manners.
The setup was well suited for all of the normal conditions encountered on a typical day of boating and
showed no propensity to overheat. And when it was time to rock ’n’ roll, the big dogs barked.

The Powerplay’s bow consumed none of the horizon in the platform’s flat, graceful glide to plane,
and it surged steadily off the line. We couldn’t find any point at which the boat wanted to porpoise,
and tracking and steering were true at all rpms.
When the motors synced at 2,500 rpm, the hull takes on a heightened response to wheel, trim and throttle.
From that point, it inspired its driver with its crisp, reactive nature and its uncommonly responsive feel.
This is a driver’s boat that inspires comfort and confidence, a hull that seemed to temper its extreme speed
with a protective measure of balance and predictability. It turned comparatively well in both directions and
handled our lazy sweepers and hard, tucked-in cornering drills with similar precise movement.
The Powerplay was plainly within its element as conditions deteriorated and wind whipped the three-foot seas.
The 33-footer maintained a commanding presence in rough water, delivering a smooth,
comfortable ride while piercing through the swells. The hull carried nicely, with plenty of freeboard,
and its ride reMarine Powerboatd dry and secure for all aboard.
Run wide open, in good water, the hull maintained a sticky, smooth, rhythmic stance and
showed no hint of rock or wobble. Try as we might, we could elicit no ill handling move, vibration
or rattle from the depths of the Powerplay. To a man, our team gave it raves, across the board.

SPECIFICATIONS
Centerline length: 32'7”
Beam: 100"
Hull design: 24-degree vee
Engines/drives: Twin Performance Boat Loans 502's
Horsepower @ prop: 425 ea.
Drive ratio: 1.5:1
Prop: 26-inch Bravo four-blade
Base retail price, incl. trailer: $88,000 boat features: Anodized aluminum switch panel; engraved aluminum dash;battery boxes;
bilge blowers; bilge pump; stand-up bolster seats; nonskid floor; deck hatches; external tie bar;
fire extinguisher; fuel filters; grab rails; full instrumentation; hour meters;
Kiekhaefer trim tabs and throttles, rubrail, etc.
Options on test boat: Full cover ($1500), Heavy Duty Bimini Top($1500), Pop-up cleats ($513), graphics ($7,500), shower ($1,230),
platform w/ladder ($3,660), Mayfair steering ($8,284), Corsa Diverters($1,000),
stereo system ($3,000), VHF ($962), wind deflectors ($500), throttle trim ($375).

Price as-tested: $88,000
Performance
Top speed, radar: 76.1 mph
Maximum rpm: 5,400
0-30: 12.36 seconds
0-40: 13.85 seconds
0-50: 16.03 seconds
0-60: 18.61 seconds
Performance Marine Trading
1903 NW 40th Court
Pompano Beach, FL 33064
(954) 970-3335

Old 01-12-2010, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

A 700/NXT 33PP would be an awesome boat.........
Old 01-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Powerplay25
It's a shame they are not made anymore.
Agreed. And they don't have to be the good 'ol days too... they still deliver a solid predictable ride in rough junk. Styling that is classic, some just need a refresh and a splash of paint and you're off and running.

That same hull with 525s and sportmaster drives and stock 32p Bravos delivered a consistent 87 mph in summer heat, just a couple clicks under a similar powered step hulled boat with conventional hull predictability.

Last edited by Indy; 01-12-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

Default Old Powerplay's

Hi guys, I really appreciated reading the article, I still own that specific boat. I bought it from Dan and Pat in March of 2002. I had the original 502's rebuilt in 2006/2007 at Derebery Marine while I had the boat with me in Dallas, Texas. We took them 30 over to 509's. The hull has over 600 hours on it now, still runs an honest 80 every weekend.

Mike
Lick-it-y-split
Old 01-13-2010, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

I wish you could still buy that kind of performance for that kind of money...
Old 01-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Lickitysplit
Hi guys, I really appreciated reading the article, I still own that specific boat. I bought it from Dan and Pat in March of 2002. I had the original 502's rebuilt in 2006/2007 at Derebery Marine while I had the boat with me in Dallas, Texas. We took them 30 over to 509's. The hull has over 600 hours on it now, still runs an honest 80 every weekend.

Mike
Lick-it-y-split
Very cool. Does the boat still have the same paint?
Old 01-13-2010, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

so is that $ 88 k for the boat brand new in 2002 ? if so what happend to the price of these's boat in the now ?" if they would bring back some good pricing they mite start selling again

if you where to buy one now i bet it would be close to $ 200k

CRAZY
Old 01-13-2010, 06:14 PM
Registered

What year is this boat/ad from?
If it's anywhere in the 90s I can't imagine why similar boats today would cost 125-150% more. That's a heck of an inflation ratio!!
I wish my house value would more than double in value in 15 years.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KSims1868
What year is this boat/ad from?
If it's anywhere in the 90s I can't imagine why similar boats today would cost 125-150% more. That's a heck of an inflation ratio!!
I wish my house value would more than double in value in 15 years.

I THINK IT'S CALLED """ GREED ""
THESE BOAT BUILDER'S AND DEALER' WANT TO MAKE $ 40 TO $50 K EACH FOR SELLING A BOAT . THAT'S ALMOST $100K OFF ON MOST $ 225 K + BOAT'S .
I KNOW EVERYONE NEED'S TO MAKE MONEY BUT IF YOU WENT BACK TO OLD SCHOOL AND MAKE MORE BOATS FOR LESS PROFFIT IN THE LONG RUN YOU WILL MAKE MORE MONEY AND HAVE A LOT MORE BOATS ADVERTISING YOUR COMPANY NAME .
JUST MY THOUGHT .

I WAS TOLD BY A BUILDER A FEW YEAR'S AGO THAT IT COST CLOSE TO $ 120 K TO BUILD A 36 FOOT OFFSHORE BOAT WITH TWIN 525'S AND HERE'S IS THE BEST PART . TO BUY ONE WILL COST YOU $ 225 K +
AND AT THE SAME TIME HE WOULD TELL ME THAT THERE IS NOT MUCH DIFFRENCE IN COST OF BUILING A 36 FT. BOAT THEN A 27 OR 28 FT BOAT OTHER THEN THE SECOND
MOTOR AND SOME MORE GUAGE'S THE PROFIT IS 6 TO 8 TIME ON THE BIGGER BOAT'S ,THAT JUST TAKE A LITLE BIT LONGER TO BUILD " QOUTE" " FIBER GLASS IS THE CHEAP PART IT'S THOSE BLUE MOTOR'S THAT COST SO MUCH "
THE FUNNY PART IS WHEN YOU GET OUT OF HIGH PERFORMANCE BOATS THE PRICE COME'S WAY DOWN.

EXAMPLE .

I AM LOOKING AT A 2010 20 FT. DECK BOAT WITH A 150 YAMAHA O/B LOADED BOAT BIMINI TOP RADIO-CD PLAYER DUAL AXLE TRAILER "ALUMINUM " FOR GET THIS JUST UNDER $ 30 K

YES I KNOW IT'S NOT A GO FAST BOAT BUT IT IS 20 FOOT AND A VERY PRETTY BOAT FOR THE FAMILY . EVEN IF YOU UP THE MOTOR FOR ANOTHER $ 5 K YOU WILL BE AT THE 60MPH MARK FOR THE GRAND TOTAL OF $35K
ONE BLUE MOTOR BY IT SELF IS $35 K

IM SHURE IF SOMEONE WOULD FIGURE OUT MATERAIL COST ON A HULL AND DECK PLUSS LABOR FOR A 35 FT. BOAT IT WOULD COST UNDER $25 K . THAT WILL BUY A LOT OF GLASS AND WOOD OR COMPOSITE .

25 K = HULL -DECK
75K = MOTOR'S AND DRIVE'S AND IF YOU GO WITH 496HO PACKAGE SUBTRACT $25K
5 K= INTERIOR
5 K = HYDRO STEERING
3 K TAB'S
12K FOR GAUGES GAS TANK AND OTHER STUFF LIKE CLEATS,ECT
GRAND TOTAL $ 125 K
I DONT BUILD THEM BUT I HAVE SEEN THEM BEING BUILT IF YOU SOLD THE BOAT FOR $ 150 MAKE $25 K CLEAR AND SELL 2 BOAT'S A MONTH I THINK YOU WOULD BE DOING PRETTY GOOD LET SEE $50 K A MONTH TAKE AWAY $5 K AMONTH FOR RENT AND ELECTRIC ANOTHER $10 K FOR LABOR PLUSS THERE IS MONEY IN LABOR ON THE $25 K FOR THE HULL AND DECK SO THAT WOULD LEAVE YOU WITH ABOUT $35 K A MONTH . TELL ME IF THAT SOUND'S LIOKE GOOD MONEY TO YOU .
OR YOU CAN BUILD 1 BOAT EVERY 6 MONTH'S AND MAKE $100K PROFIT , SOUND'S BETTER BUT YOU STILL HAVE RENT AND LABOR FOR SIX MONTH SO NOW WHAT'S YOUR NET , NOT MUCH . THESE BUILDER'S HAVE IT ALL WRONG YOU NEED TO MAKE MONEY ON THE " AVERAGE'S " NOT JUST ONE BOAT ..
I HAVE A LAWN SERVICE AND WE CUT A LOT OF GRASS , I DONT MAKE MONEY WHEN I GO AND CUT ONE YARD FOR $40 BUT WHEN WE DO 30 YARD'S IN A DAY THEN I MAKE MONEY .
AVERAGE'S

Last edited by mikebrls; 01-13-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

The boat looks exactly the same. The ad is from January 2002. I paid 80 for the boat with no trailer, the boat had 126 hours on it when I bought it. It has been super reliable, and a ton of fun. As I mentioned the hull has over 600 hours on it now. The engines 120 hours since the majors. I redid the dash and gauges but it looks exactly the same otherwise.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.