42' Epoxy OL, your opinion? >

42' Epoxy OL, your opinion?

Notices

42' Epoxy OL, your opinion?

Old 01-17-2010, 12:29 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pm203
Don't forget, epoxy boats ride a little harder also.
Indeed. Teague tested a 42 and he said it was like driving a block of concrete.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:31 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
Indeed. Teague tested a 42 and he said it was like driving a block of concrete.
I've been in them and its not like that at all.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Registered

As far as the appearence goes, the gelcoat on the deck of a dark colored boat will expand, buckle and crack eventually on almost any boat. I've seen it on everything from a Wellcraft to a Skater. Stick to lighter colors if you want to avoid this problem.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
I've been in them and its not like that at all.
I have also.. The boat is one of the finest made, does many things great, better than 90% out there... it does so well cause they are light, and built like a brick sh!t house.. the penalty is a stiffer ride vs the vinylester boats. It all depends on what you're looking for, intended purpose of boat built, and pocket book. Would I own an OL..sure..but prefer Mike's glass boats better with some of the new technology.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:41 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Jassman
I have also.. The boat is one of the finest made, does many things great, better than 90% out there... it does so well cause they are light, and built like a brick sh!t house.. the penalty is a stiffer ride vs the vinylester boats. It all depends on what you're looking for, intended purpose of boat built, and pocket book. Would I own an OL..sure..but prefer Mike's glass boats better with some of the new technology.
Does OL build any new boats out of VE? I know they build both glass and carbon, but do they switch resins as well?
Old 01-17-2010, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean H
Does OL build any new boats out of VE? I know they build both glass and carbon, but do they switch resins as well?
that would be a question for Fred.. I un-like most, prefer a softer ride and am not interested in getting the last mph out of my boat. In return I'm well aware that the ride I got from Mike and Fred was as good as it get's at 80+mph in 4-5's could not be achieved in a glass boat. It helped that Mike was driving also...OMGSMP. LOL
Old 01-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Speaking of Epoxy boats... They all seem to be painted and scratch easily, why? Compared to a VE or Poly boat they have gelcoat... Do they make a Epoxy gelcoat if someone doesn't want to paint the boat? I've seen quite a few Epoxy boats 2-3 years old and they're going for paint touch-ups, fade spots and/or clearcoat fixes.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have only been in a 39gtx.. very stiff and noisy under-way.. sounded like the bottom was comming apart.. something you get use to i guess.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
Speaking of Epoxy boats... They all seem to be painted and scratch easily, why? Compared to a VE or Poly boat they have gelcoat... Do they make a Epoxy gelcoat if someone doesn't want to paint the boat? I've seen quite a few Epoxy boats 2-3 years old and they're going for paint touch-ups, fade spots and/or clearcoat fixes.
Yes there are Epoxy Gelcoats and they are easy to use but they are in a off white, Personally I like Paint, Awlgrip for one,

it is this way with Paint 2-4 Mills gets you covered, Now gelcoat at 12 mills there are still shadows so we spray between 18 and 22 wet with Production Material to get the proper coverage.

Now that said It does provide a Durable surface but it carries a huge weight penalty when you include the check or skin out mat. and since it is chemically bonded (in the ester world) if it cracks guess what? the laminate can be damaged as well.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Jassman
I un-like most, prefer a softer ride and am not interested in getting the last mph out of my boat.
Jeff,
Good point. I would sacrifice several miles or more per hour for a softer ride as well.

Last edited by pm203; 01-17-2010 at 10:26 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.