Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   42' Epoxy OL, your opinion? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/222818-42-epoxy-ol-your-opinion.html)

Dirty Bird 01-18-2010 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 3026321)
Any owners on the board that have owned a 42' and the 46' OL's? Please let me know your experiences!

I've got a 46 with 1075s. Last boat was a 46 cig with triple 575's. Rides are completely different. I can't say the OL is rougher, or more uncomfortable. The difference is there are no rattles or vibrations. You can tell the boat doesnt flex, and is strong as ****.

To me there are about 3 differences:
1. The OL rides flatter, is easier to see out of. It is also much easier to keep level because the beam is slightly wider, and with a bunch of people on in changing water, it is easier to drive level.
2. In really rough water, they both are tough rides, no free lunch there. The difference was in rough water that wasnt big, like in 5-7 footers, you could play a little more with the cigarette, and jump for air. It felt like it was hard on the boat, but always so much fun, you wanted to do it, even if the boat took a beating. In the OL, since it doesnt take off at an angle, and instead stays flatter, you tend not to go airborne so much, so you tend not to try, and therefore, I don't hammer it in big water (unlike when they race them I guess), since I've got a tv, ac, etc on board.
3. When it is 3 footers or less, and when slight chop, the outerlimits is really a fun ride. You can hit the throttles at 70 and feel the acceleration, and when it gets up at about 105 and lifts out of the water, it takes off again. When the water is really flat, it is ultra cool to run it up like that and feel it just take off. It is really comfortable like that.

As far as the gel coat, and paint, I can't tell a difference. I've had the OL 2 and a half years, and it is holding up great.

Just my 2 cents.

Outerlimits PB 01-18-2010 09:40 PM

This thread has been very interesting; however there seems to be some confusion about the importance of the resin system used in relation to stiffness. The resin system does not significantly impact panel stiffness. Stiffness is impacted much more significantly by unsupported panel size, (i.e. internal structure) core thickness, and re-enforcement material. (E-glass, Kevlar, carbon)

This is a long winded way to say, if two boats were built in the same mold with identical laminate schedules and structural layouts it would be impossible to “feel” the difference between epoxy and vinylester resins.

That being said there are significant differences between epoxy and vinylester laminates. Epoxy resin has significantly better physical properties which allow laminates to be more highly engineered and weight can be reduced. Epoxy is also resistant to water absorption and does not micro-crack like vinyester which leads to laminate failure over time. The down side is that epoxy costs 3-4 times the cost of vinylester, it requires a more skilled labor force and more sophisticated tooling and manufacturing systems.

Vinylester laminate is attractive due to its low cost, and ease of use. The laminates are not typically highly engineered, which means that they are not labor intensive. These characteristics make this process ideal for high volume builders.

The “ride” of a boat is dictated by the global structural design and the hull form, not the resin system used. “Flex” is not good in a composite structure, no matter what it’s made with. Hope this helps.

Aaron Crawford
Outerlimits Offshore Powerboats

OL40SVX 01-18-2010 10:15 PM

Great post Aaron!

Uncle Dave 01-18-2010 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Outerlimits PB (Post 3026829)
This thread has been very interesting; however there seems to be some confusion about the importance of the resin system used in relation to stiffness. The resin system does not significantly impact panel stiffness. Stiffness is impacted much more significantly by unsupported panel size, (i.e. internal structure) core thickness, and re-enforcement material. (E-glass, Kevlar, carbon)

This is a long winded way to say, if two boats were built in the same mold with identical laminate schedules and structural layouts it would be impossible to “feel” the difference between epoxy and vinylester resins.

That being said there are significant differences between epoxy and vinylester laminates. Epoxy resin has significantly better physical properties which allow laminates to be more highly engineered and weight can be reduced. Epoxy is also resistant to water absorption and does not micro-crack like vinyester which leads to laminate failure over time. The down side is that epoxy costs 3-4 times the cost of vinylester, it requires a more skilled labor force and more sophisticated tooling and manufacturing systems.

Vinylester laminate is attractive due to its low cost, and ease of use. The laminates are not typically highly engineered, which means that they are not labor intensive. These characteristics make this process ideal for high volume builders.

The “ride” of a boat is dictated by the global structural design and the hull form, not the resin system used. “Flex” is not good in a composite structure, no matter what it’s made with. Hope this helps.

Aaron Crawford
Outerlimits Offshore Powerboats

Is there no compromise in any area at all with epoxy?

Animal refers earlier to not "display(ing) any major cosmetic flaw"

Does that imply minor issues, or is the claimed downstream cosmetic "issue" due to post curing a non issue?

Uncle Dave

Catmando 01-18-2010 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm (Post 3025606)
I've been in them and its not like that at all.

...the penalty is a stiffer ride vs vinylester...Jassman

That's what Teague meant.

Steve 1 01-18-2010 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Catmando (Post 3026894)
...the penalty is a stiffer ride vs vinylester...Jassman

That's what Teague meant.

Could be the lamination input Also where Carbon and S-Glass would be at the very top of the Stiffness Scale and Kevlar the bottom..Resin does not play much of a role here. except the Epoxy is $$$$

Panther 01-19-2010 07:57 AM

Dirty Bird, thanks for the comments. Those real-world kind of experiences are what I'm looking to hear.

More importantly though, I'm looking for someone to coment on the 42' vs. the 46' having owned them currently or in the past... T-1075's and #6's preferrably!

Thanks in advance! :)

Outerlimits PB 01-19-2010 05:13 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by no compromise with epoxy? Epoxy chemistry is constantly evolving, like any technology. The resin system we use today has a higher Tg (resistance to print) and better physical properties than the resin we used 3 years ago. The only constant is the price goes up.

Uncle Dave 01-19-2010 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Outerlimits PB (Post 3027309)
I'm not sure what you mean by no compromise with epoxy? Epoxy chemistry is constantly evolving, like any technology. The resin system we use today has a higher Tg (resistance to print) and better physical properties than the resin we used 3 years ago. The only constant is the price goes up.

What I mean by compromise would be any tradeoff that may exist.

Im specifically looking to determine if there is likely to be any kind of cosmetic issue for any reason down the road.

This is really the only downside I have heard.
I have heard it repeatedly from several builders Lee at Schiada being one of them - hence the repost.

Im trying to get expert builder advice about the legitimacy of this concern from other knowing parties.

Respectfully,

Uncle Dave

animalhouse 01-19-2010 05:32 PM

The risk of long term print through is less likely than micro cracking and spidering of VE.