Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   42' Epoxy OL, your opinion? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/222818-42-epoxy-ol-your-opinion.html)

Uncle Dave 01-19-2010 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by animalhouse (Post 3027321)
The risk of long term print through is less likely than micro cracking and spidering of VE.

So print through is the potential issue.
Does heat exacerbate this potential? As in an Arizona summer?

We can go back what 15-20 years and look at VE boats.

How far back do epoxy boats go in time?
I dont ask rhetorically, I ask because I do not know.

Thanks for the answers guys.

Uncle Dave

pm203 01-19-2010 06:05 PM

[QUOTE=Outerlimits PB;3027309] The resin system we use today has a higher Tg (resistance to print) and better physical properties than the resin we used 3 years ago. QUOTE]

That is what I would be concerned about. For the average guy buying a million dollar boat who will probably upgrade or trade within a year or two, who cares? But, for someone like me who would probably keep the boat for 5 years or so, concerns about the integrity of the resin and how it ages over the years do exist. Any information on this would be helpful.

Outerlimits PB 01-19-2010 08:38 PM

The process of epoxy lamination in boat construction has been around for over 15 years, there are thousands of hulls in service. This seems new when compared to 60 year old vinylester technology, but it is certainly not untried or unproven.
My previous post was meant to address cosmetic concerns and improvements that have been made in that area.
Outerlimits has always been at the forefront of technology and we are constantly working to improve design, engineering and materials to bring our customers the best product possible.

Uncle Dave 01-19-2010 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Outerlimits PB (Post 3027507)
The process of epoxy lamination in boat construction has been around for over 15 years, there are thousands of hulls in service. This seems new when compared to 60 year old vinylester technology, but it is certainly not untried or unproven.
My previous post was meant to address cosmetic concerns and improvements that have been made in that area.
Outerlimits has always been at the forefront of technology and we are constantly working to improve design, engineering and materials to bring our customers the best product possible.

Thank you.

UD

pm203 01-19-2010 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave (Post 3027601)
Thank you.

UD

+1

Panther 01-20-2010 08:27 AM

Folks... I started this thread to hear opinions on both sides, not to discredit one or the other.... Obviously there are advantages and disadvantages for anything so it becomes personal preference and that's why I'm asking the members to respond who have owned them. :)

More importantly I'd like to get back on track and hear from the "owners" of 42's and 46's and how they liked or disliked both boats... Advantages and disadvantages... non-biased please. :)

If you don't feel comforatble stating your experiences please PM me.

Trying to help a friend make an consious decision on a boat(s) he'd like to buy....

pm203 01-20-2010 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 3027776)
Folks... I started this thread to hear opinions on both sides, not to discredit one or the other.... Obviously there are advantages and disadvantages for anything so it becomes personal preference and that's why I'm asking the members to respond who have owned them. :)

More importantly I'd like to get back on track and hear from the "owners" of 42's and 46's and how they liked or disliked both boats... Advantages and disadvantages... non-biased please. :)

Trying to help a friend make an consious decision on a boat(s) he'd like to buy....

Panther,
While I embrace new technology, the unknown( to me) is epoxy. That is why I find this particular thread informative to me. Sorry if it has got sidetracked, but need to know if epoxy is in my future.

Jassman 01-20-2010 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 3027776)

Get a hold of Fred or maybe Fred will anwser on here... or send a pm to the factory off their website..

Panther 01-20-2010 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jassman (Post 3027896)
Get a hold of Fred or maybe Fred will anwser on here... or send a pm to the factory off their website..

Thanks but I'm looking for opinions from boat owners and not folks that have/had worked there.. :)

OL40SVX 01-20-2010 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 3027906)
Thanks but I'm looking for opinions from boat owners and not folks that have/had worked there.. :)

Frank, there's not alot of the bigger OL owners here on OSO.