Notices

Need Opinions-30' C'mate w/twin 2.5 merc racing O/Bs

Old 01-31-2010, 08:08 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by ciaoderhead
I have a 28' checkmate w/2.5, 260 offshores. Boat is a blast but engines are high maintenace and mixing the oil is a pain. Thinking about repowering wth newer 4-strokes. Won't be the same as the 2.5's but less hassle.
Any pics of your boat ???

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 01-31-2010, 08:26 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Thumbs up

I owned a 28 Checkmate w/twin 2.5 EFI Offshore Racing Engines.

The power was great for me but not so family friendly...
I ran the 32:1 oil mix and anytime I needed to circle around with the wind coming over the transom my wife and kids were choking over the exhaust.
So as I got busy and only used the boat once an entire season, it was time to sell it....

Also, my wife was not crazy about how I was a fanatic with the boat.
I would spend an hour cleaning the boat before we took it out and then another 4 or 5 hours detailing it when we brought it back. I ran in salt water so I never left any salt anywhere on the boat before it was put away for the night.

1st person to come look at the boat bought on the spot.
Engines were like they came out of the box for 1997's...

ALL PHOTOS CAN BE FOUND HERE: 28 CHECKMATE W/ TWIN 2.5 EFI OFFSHORE RACING ENGINES

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 01-31-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ndaniels
CMs handle erie fine- and thats a different kind of rough up there. I wouldn't worry bout running one in the south bay most of the time, from what I've seen and heard about it. Now running a 17' in the SB is nuts- I won't run my 17' in erie, cause I know better. I've got nothing in this, but just hate to see CM get a bad rap for no good reason and I haven't seen one yet.
nDaniels, you are right, running a 17' in the GSB is nuts. I did worse stuff than that. We used to go east and into the Peconics in that boat. Now that was rough! Sometimes worse than the ocean. The waves were 3 sometimes 4 ft, and very close together. I remember once taking a wave the wrong way, and submarined through a wave instead of over it. That's when my wife broke down, and I hightailed it to a protected cove. That was scary!
Also, all the boats people are mentioning are wonderful, but they all have I/O's. I'm now looking for outboards, as I've had my fill with I/O's. (http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/d...-problems.html)
Old 01-31-2010, 12:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bimini run
nDaniels, you are right, running a 17' in the GSB is nuts. I did worse stuff than that. We used to go east and into the Peconics in that boat. Now that was rough! Sometimes worse than the ocean. The waves were 3 sometimes 4 ft, and very close together. I remember once taking a wave the wrong way, and submarined through a wave instead of over it. That's when my wife broke down, and I hightailed it to a protected cove. That was scary!
Also, all the boats people are mentioning are wonderful, but they all have I/O's. I'm now looking for outboards, as I've had my fill with I/O's. (http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/d...-problems.html)
Man, you are nuts! I'm sorry to hear about the i/o problems- that sucks. I don't blame you for wanting to switch. Not sure what is going on there with the manifolds- I hope you can get it sorted out... maybe a good time to throw a set of imco's on there if you have to replace em again.

I went out once when I really knew better in my Checkmate...3+, really high winds. I got luckey and never submarined it, looked like it was going to a time or two. I ended up having to stay just off idle, because they were so tight (big and shallow lake). The gf was with me- and we had just started dating... she's apparently a dumbass, cuz she still stuck around

Sharkey, that boat looks absolutely mint! How did it run with the 260s?

Last edited by ndaniels; 01-31-2010 at 01:16 PM. Reason: manifold problem
Old 01-31-2010, 01:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Getchecked
[B[/B]

Once again you are making a statement based on your opinion. Have you ever owned a 25'+ C/M ?
What defines a custom boat to you??
Fountains were and Donzi's and most Cigarettes just to name a few -- On the west coast you have Eliminator and Warlock are produced just like C/M's are you saying THEY CAN NOT HOLD A CANDLE TO THE BOATS YOU NAMED. You better go get your head examined!!
Son -- I will tell you this out of your own mouth (again) You have stated tbe best reason (NOT) to but one of those boats!!!!!! (RESALE) Guys who own them -- Can not give them away!!!!
What does that tell you??
C/m's resale vaue is as good as any boat on the market today. If the boats you and Lightspeed describe as the 9th Wonders of the world were as wonderful as you say how come they are not falling off the classified adds. Let me say this, the economy excuse only goes so far.
Quality and a fair price sells!!
I am getting the feeling that (as usual) The same old Long Island crowd who are legends in the own mind -- who write without having data to back it up -- Are shooting off there mouths. As usual what is comming out is the same old nonsense.
Zero
I'm not your son. Please change your tone, you're out of line. Let's start with that. I've been in a 25 Checkmate, the ride was fine ( as stated before ), I have nothing against Checkmates. I stated in the before post, the checkmate would not hold a candle to the boats i mentioned IN THE ROUGH. That doesn't mean their not fast. That doesn't mean their **** boats. That doesn't mean they don't hold great value. That doesn't mean they don't handle the rough well. Not only in Vinny P and Sharkey happy with their checkmates, but SupaJay on screamandfly loves his as well ( and he runs it hard ). They do all of that with ease due to their consistency, gelcoat work, innovative design, and probably good customer support. No-one described progression as the 9th wonder of the world, i think you're drunk ( or maybe randomly spewing sh*t). Also, I apologize if you got the feeling I'm a legend. I don't think I'm a legend. I just made a post asking for a serious driving instructor in NY. Again, I'm sorry if I offended any checkmate owners. I have nothing against them and have nothing for respect for any company and person in support of high-performance boating. Getchecked, you are right. These are my opinions. I have no beef with you or checkmate. Happy boatings!
Old 01-31-2010, 01:13 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by ndaniels
Sharkey, that boat looks absolutely mint! How did it run with the 260s?
Thanks !
Low 80's

Old 01-31-2010, 02:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mastercraft240
I'm not your son. Please change your tone, you're out of line. Let's start with that. I've been in a 25 Checkmate, the ride was fine ( as stated before ), I have nothing against Checkmates. I stated in the before post, the checkmate would not hold a candle to the boats i mentioned IN THE ROUGH. That doesn't mean their not fast. That doesn't mean their **** boats. That doesn't mean they don't hold great value. That doesn't mean they don't handle the rough well. Not only in Vinny P and Sharkey happy with their checkmates, but SupaJay on screamandfly loves his as well ( and he runs it hard ). They do all of that with ease due to their consistency, gelcoat work, innovative design, and probably good customer support. No-one described progression as the 9th wonder of the world, i think you're drunk ( or maybe randomly spewing sh*t). Also, I apologize if you got the feeling I'm a legend. I don't think I'm a legend. I just made a post asking for a serious driving instructor in NY. Again, I'm sorry if I offended any checkmate owners. I have nothing against them and have nothing for respect for any company and person in support of high-performance boating. Getchecked, you are right. These are my opinions. I have no beef with you or checkmate. Happy boatings!
I apologize if the Son remark wa insulting-- I wish I was young enough so I could be refered as such, but please accept my apology. I think you are wrong C/M can and always will hold the candle to the boats you have mentioned. What brings you to your comclusions are opinions and bias same as me.
Checkmate owners are loyal and we do not like hearing the never ending (FLASE B/S) that you started with the strress crack remarks. There are alot of boats out there, alot have come and gone!! Checkmate has weathered all the storms, and have been around long before you were even born. That says something to me. I was 5 when they started building boats!! Chit!! That would make me
Anyway my tone was only in responding to people who bad mouth a boat they really don't know or have little expierence with.
Best of luck with the driving and your boat
Old 01-31-2010, 02:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES
I owned a 28 Checkmate w/twin 2.5 EFI Offshore Racing Engines.

The power was great for me but not so family friendly...
I ran the 32:1 oil mix and anytime I needed to circle around with the wind coming over the transom my wife and kids were choking over the exhaust.
So as I got busy and only used the boat once an entire season, it was time to sell it....

Also, my wife was not crazy about how I was a fanatic with the boat.
I would spend an hour cleaning the boat before we took it out and then another 4 or 5 hours detailing it when we brought it back. I ran in salt water so I never left any salt anywhere on the boat before it was put away for the night.

1st person to come look at the boat bought on the spot.
Engines were like they came out of the box for 1997's...

ALL PHOTOS CAN BE FOUND HERE: 28 CHECKMATE W/ TWIN 2.5 EFI OFFSHORE RACING ENGINES

Always loved this boat -- How it was cared for was a passion!!
Old 01-31-2010, 06:02 PM
Registered

The more I think about it maybe the reason the Checkmates I have owned never had any cracks is because I took care of them. Maybe all the years of being kepted inside out of the weather when not in use had something to do with it. Or the fact I did not beat the crap out of it in 50 foot of chop.

PS
Nice boat SHARKEY-IMAGES I never seen pics of that one.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:25 PM
jln
Registered

B/R your old mate was a very pretty boat, Im alot like you when it comes to the care of a boat, i keep it nice for the next guy...Sharkey..very nice boat also a real classic look.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.