Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Dually tires.......how close is too close? >

Dually tires.......how close is too close?

Notices

Dually tires.......how close is too close?

Old 01-20-2010, 05:27 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by t500hps
DAM...those look exactly like what I need. I know they make 2in and it appears the 1.5in will be too thin to clear the spacers......but 2in will give me ALOT of gap between tires, maybe a 1.75 will be the best custom made option.
Been making custom spacer and adapters for 25 yrs. It was a good business before the china started dunping. I sell to wheel shops across the US. Let me know what you need. Ill send them to you. Bobby

Last edited by BDARCHER; 01-20-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:06 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

stock was 215's went to 235's in pick,khomos fit good,but I had 3 come apart,2 on the right rear,yes it took the plastic fender off,exhaust,inner bed panel, I went to some Goodyear silent armor,there wider and taller,they are bigger than they claimed.I just didn't want to take a chance

I was told that the flat cheap spacers want stay center.

this is what I bought,steel, the thinest they make
http://www.wheeladapter.com/dually_spacers.php

BDARCHER which I knew you were doing them.

t500hps they do stick out,so it sling more on the boat I even bought the rock tamers adjusted the all the way out,wasn't enough,a mud flap on the fender would probably catch more.A ht tread would help some also.

Picks with no spacer
Attached Thumbnails Dually tires.......how close is too close?-1.jpg   Dually tires.......how close is too close?-goodyear-dually-tires-2-09-006-large-2-.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 01-20-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:13 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Talking

stock was 215's went to 235's in pick,khomos fit good,but I had 3 come apart,2 on the right rear,yes it took the plastic fender off,exhaust,inner bed panel, I went to some Goodyear silent armor,there wider and taller,they are bigger than they claimed.I just didn't want to take a chance

I was told that the flat cheap spacers want stay center.

this is what I bought,steel
http://www.wheeladapter.com/dually_spacers.php

BDARCHER which I knew you were doing them.

t500hps they do stick out,so it sling more on the boat I even bought the rock tamers adjusted the all the way out,wasn't enough,a mud flap on the fender would probably catch more.A ht tread would help some also.

Picks with no spacer
Attached Thumbnails Dually tires.......how close is too close?-hub-diameter-5.125-002-large-.jpg   Dually tires.......how close is too close?-hub-diameter-5.125-012-large-.jpg  

Old 01-20-2010, 06:21 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Talking

These were made lug and hud centric.You can see what I cut off.dint use a saw saw,i did had band saw would of been a breeze.To me the gap doesn't look to bad ,but it does stick out.
Attached Thumbnails Dually tires.......how close is too close?-3-8-09-001-large-.jpg   Dually tires.......how close is too close?-bed-cover-9809-041-large-.jpg   Dually tires.......how close is too close?-boat-3-4-09-082-large-.jpg  

Dually tires.......how close is too close?-boat-3-4-09-088-large-.jpg   Dually tires.......how close is too close?-boat-3-4-09-110-large-.jpg  

Old 01-20-2010, 06:31 PM
Rob
VIP Member

painted,tammers
Attached Thumbnails Dually tires.......how close is too close?-boat-3-4-09-119-large-.jpg   Dually tires.......how close is too close?-paint-job-9-26-09-025-large-.jpg  

Old 01-20-2010, 08:23 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Thanks for all the pics Strip. My truck has stock 245's and I'm trying to go to a 285 (largest that will fit on stock rims and 34 in tall). I really only need 1 in of spacer but I don't want to cut the factory bolts like you did. That means a 2in spacer is needed to clear the factory bolts putting the outside wheel even further outside the fender.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:04 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Talking

Originally Posted by t500hps
Thanks for all the pics Strip. My truck has stock 245's and I'm trying to go to a 285 (largest that will fit on stock rims and 34 in tall). I really only need 1 in of spacer but I don't want to cut the factory bolts like you did. That means a 2in spacer is needed to clear the factory bolts putting the outside wheel even further outside the fender.

Have ya tried the 285's. I assume yours is a Ford? it should fit,I have a friend that went way up in tire size on his,the just touched at the swell at the bottom,he towed a goose neck all the time.he didnt have any problems. I didnt want to take a chance,especially towing the boat 70+, also my car trailer is real bad tounge heavy.The height of mine is at the limit,it will almost touch the front bumper side edge,The wheels I have are a nightmare to balance.The other thing I did notice some power loss in the taller tire, which change the gear ratio.Hope this helps.

Rob

Old 01-21-2010, 06:56 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Have ya tried the 285's. I assume yours is a Ford? it should fit,I have a friend that went way up in tire size on his,the just touched at the swell at the bottom,he towed a goose neck all the time.he didnt have any problems. I didnt want to take a chance,especially towing the boat 70+, also my car trailer is real bad tounge heavy.The height of mine is at the limit,it will almost touch the front bumper side edge,The wheels I have are a nightmare to balance.The other thing I did notice some power loss in the taller tire, which change the gear ratio.Hope this helps.

Rob
It is a Ford and according to my measurements the 285 should fit but just touch as you saw...but I too don't want to chance it with a $100K boat and my azz in the tow vehicle!!! I expect small power loss but already have 4:10's instead of 3:73 so I should still be fine. I'd be silling to add a 1/2 spacer on the factory lug nuts but there isn't quite enough thread there to get the outer wheel bolted on properly....Wonder how hard it would be to replace the lugs???
Old 01-21-2010, 07:05 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

BTW: I added these mud flaps. They are rigid and really helped with the stock tires. Plus they look llike OEM equipment.
Attached Thumbnails Dually tires.......how close is too close?-thumb%5B4%5D.jpg  
Old 01-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't you buy the 2" spacers and have a machine shop face them down to the 1 3/4" you want?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.