Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
New law in effect in North Carolina >

New law in effect in North Carolina

Notices

New law in effect in North Carolina

Old 01-24-2010, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a way for them to tie the things that happen on the lake to the things that happen on the road so that it effects your points and is not just a fine.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taxation, this is not a free society, no matter what the situation, marine police **** ! and the last bastion of freedom goes away! "Saftey" is not the issue, Screw up on the water, you die end of story! Cant and dont want to protect the masses! That coming from an experinced CAPT. Bottom line as a pro "we" dont some moron with a jet ski or entry level boat on the water anyway! Go take your kid to his *** soccer game!!!!!
Old 01-24-2010, 07:04 PM
Registered

Ct. has a boat and jet ski class's to take for either of them. You need the cert. just to register them.also on the water its like a license. started back in the mid 90's. when I took it it was a 6 week boating/safty class. now its an 8 hour class that a 10 year old can pass with no problems. how much can you really learn in 8 hours?????
Old 01-24-2010, 10:37 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Obviously safety is #1 priority, with that said, it's all a business. Getting a license or something equivalent on the water is just to generate money. If the gov. can profit from it, they're interested, and don't let them fool you that it's in our best interest. I do my boating around Long Island and as far as I know, these waters were created by mother nature, not the government. They have no right to charge me to use something thats not theirs. I understand people need to be responsible, but we have as much right to that water as the authorities. Tax payers pay their salaries, not boaters.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:48 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by t500hps
How many 40 year olds go buy the family a boat......and have no idea what they are doing?

I would say alot more than you think (at least before the recession)
Old 01-25-2010, 07:19 AM
Registered

I took the class last weekend. The class is free and lasted 6 hours. At the end of the class they give a 60 question multiple choice test. Most of the boat owners there over the age of 26, were taking the safety class to get a break on insurance.

Last edited by LKNTREV; 01-25-2010 at 07:22 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:41 AM
Registered

LKNTREV
Where was the class held? I might be interested for the insurance break.. as long as it is free...haha
Old 01-25-2010, 08:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JohnSchiavarelli
LKNTREV
Where was the class held? I might be interested for the insurance break.. as long as it is free...haha
It was held at the Bass Pro Shop at the Concord Mills Mall.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by t500hps
Va passed a boaters "drivers license" requirement that will phase in over the next couple years. The younger you are the sooner you must be have passed a course. I have 2-3 more years left but have signed up for a class next month that my father, myself, and my 13 year old will taking. I have no problem with the classes, hopefully it will teach at least a couple idiots the rules of the water.
Russ, FYI, you can also take it online.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:20 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ciaoderhead
Russ, FYI, you can also take it online.
I know......I've boated my entire life (as my father has) and feel I really only need the piece of paper. Since I (we) want my kids to actually learn something we decided to take the Sat class with my kids. It's free at BassPro once a month.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.