Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Another bedtime offshore adventure story by Bobthebuilder - Story #2 >

Another bedtime offshore adventure story by Bobthebuilder - Story #2

Notices

Another bedtime offshore adventure story by Bobthebuilder - Story #2

Old 12-21-2013, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoyed that story, thanks for sharing.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:09 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
Another good one, would like to hear more about the broken hull
I thought I wrote a story about that trip in my 1991 Top Gun from Marco to New Orleans as well but could not find it. We were coming out of the ICW at Panama Beach into the Gulf and it was quite rough. A wave slapped us on the starboard side and at the time I did not know the boat was hurt. I remember the shock tho that ran thru my body. When we stopped for lunch a couple hours later we could see that the gel about 18" in diameter had popped off just ahead of the helm and the glass was broken above the water line. It was a carbon fibre hull and not much flex. We ran the boat the rest of the way with some starboard tab down to tilt the boat and keep the water from coming in. LOL I was charged $ 3,000.00 instead of the usual $ 10,000 by Cigarette for the repair even tho it was bought from them new and should have been under warranty. ( That should not reflect on the current ownership of Cigarette ) It was a good boat and one of my favourites.

Bob

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 12-21-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:38 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
I thought I wrote a story about that trip in my 1991 Top Gun from Marco to New Orleans as well but could not find it. We were coming out of the ICW at Panama Beach into the Gulf and it was quite rough. A wave slapped us on the starboard side and at the time I did not know the boat was hurt. I remember the shock tho that ran thru my body. When we stopped for lunch a couple hours later we could see that the gel about 18" in diameter had popped off just ahead of the helm and the glass was broken above the water line. It was a carbon fibre hull and not much flex. We ran the boat the rest of the way with some starboard tab down to tilt the boat and keep the water from coming in. LOL I was charged $ 3,000.00 instead of the usual $ 10,000 by Cigarette for the repair even tho it was bought from them new and should have been under warranty. ( That should not reflect on the current ownership of Cigarette ) It was a good boat and one of my favourites.

Bob
That's scary, thankfully my 22 year old hull is past the manufacturer defect stage. Amazing what these hulls will take. Thanks for the update.