Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   An offshore adventure story by Bobthebuilder, Story 3 How I grabbed the pole position (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/223405-offshore-adventure-story-bobthebuilder-story-3-how-i-grabbed-pole-position.html)

Jamie B. 01-26-2010 08:17 PM

lol, good one Monkey Boy ! :chimp:

:evilb:
:kiss:

Ebay Ed 01-26-2010 08:24 PM

Bob i think you should really write a book i would buy one Ed

mcraymond3 01-26-2010 08:28 PM

Ouch!

Bobthebuilder 01-26-2010 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by craig anderson (Post 3032116)
Another great story!! Question...is that the same 46' that's listed at Jim Earle Marine?

Yes. Steve brought it to Canada after a bit of time in Florida. He could not sell it in either country so he eventually donated it to a charity for a charitable receipt, I beieve.

Bobthebuilder 01-26-2010 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by MiniHawk (Post 3032114)
Interesting story! Can you tell me more about that Cigarette? It looks cool in the pic.

It was an interesting boat. All black wath an all red interior. When Steve bought it I went with him to Mark Adam's warehouse in Ft Lauderdale to check it out. Mark took us out for a water test and we were stopped by the Florida Marine Patrol while idling out of the harbor. It had no current registration and Mark was given a ticket. Anyway Steve ended up buying the boat and brought it over to Marco Island for a while before bringing it up to Canada where he has a summer home on Georgian Bay. The boat I don't think ever saw 70 MPH as it was heavy and underpowered with trip 750's I believe. Steve is not a speed demon so that worked for him. As mentioned, he ended up donationg it to charity and Jim Earle sold it to another guy that I do not know. He used it very little , had some problems that I do not have first hand knowledge about, and had Jim re list it I believe. That's about all I know but can put you in touch with people that are in the know on this boat if seriously interested.
Bob

rockstrmkr 01-26-2010 09:12 PM

Yes Yes!!! Funny stories from Bob The Builder!
If it's ok, I'd just like to jump in and tell a Bob adventure that I was a part of.
Bob had recently taken delivery of "Mini-Me"( that's my name for his 38ft Donzi that pretty much matches the Big Nor-Tech Team Predator in colour.
It was a nice day so I was more than happy to join him on a cruise from Marco to Everglades City. If you look on a map you'll notice the 10,000 Islands inbetween and a whole bunch of shoals that are probably not navigatable...Unless you're B.T.B.:party-smiley-004:
As we were leaving Everglades City, it got really overcast and started to rain, and neither Bob nor I wanted to get our hair wet. Going the regular way would have taken us around a few Islands sort of South West through the rain before turning North and heading back towards Marco. But Bob had a better idea: His idea which was immediately implented involved going straight North North West, inbetween Islands with notoriously shallow water...I think his exact words were "Ok then, Hans? Brace yourself, we'll just try this" and he trimmed the boat out, pushed the throttles all the way forward with a big grin, and we hauled a$$ ....Passing the WARNING sign that said something to the effect of "18inches of water" ....I was puckered pretty tight and kept waiting for the boat to impale itself on a sandbank....But alas....we shot through those 18 inches of water for a few miles and I don't think there were any scuff marks on the boat (my underwear? Well, that was a different story):grinser010:

Having been on the Big boat with Bob from Key West to Cancun, and having not so long ago helped look for shortcuts going from Nassau to Georgetown, all I can say is that all of his boats should be named "No Fear"....Because he sure doesn't have any!!!!!

Looking forward to the next chapter!!!!!
H.

boatme 01-26-2010 09:24 PM

Bob

two words LET GO LOL

craig anderson 01-26-2010 09:42 PM

[QUOTE=Bobthebuilder;3032311]It was an interesting boat. All black wath an all red interior. When Steve bought it I went with him to Mark Adam's warehouse in Ft Lauderdale to check it out. Mark took us out for a water test and we were stopped by the Florida Marine Patrol while idling out of the harbor. It had no current registration and Mark was given a ticket. Anyway Steve ended up buying the boat and brought it over to Marco Island for a while before bringing it up to Canada where he has a summer home on Georgian Bay. The boat I don't think ever saw 70 MPH as it was heavy and underpowered with trip 900's I believe. Steve is not a speed demon so that worked for him. As mentioned, he ended up donationg it to charity and Jim Earle sold it to another guy that I do not know. He used it very little , had some problems that I do not have first hand knowledge about, and had Jim re list it I believe. That's about all I know but can put you in touch with people that are in the know on this boat if seriously interested.
Bob[/QUOTE/]

Wow!!! Too bad...it was listed, or has been, listed for the longest time. Awesome looking "old school" Cig, but I guess as you said underpowered. The price drop was amazing! Think the listing said trip 750 Hawk's.

Aside from that....MORE STORIES!!!

p.s. Do/did you own Predator? I think I have a couple of nice pics from the Lake Ontario run a few years ago where the 3 sisters use to be.

MiniHawk 01-26-2010 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder (Post 3032311)
It was an interesting boat. All black wath an all red interior. When Steve bought it I went with him to Mark Adam's warehouse in Ft Lauderdale to check it out. Mark took us out for a water test and we were stopped by the Florida Marine Patrol while idling out of the harbor. It had no current registration and Mark was given a ticket. Anyway Steve ended up buying the boat and brought it over to Marco Island for a while before bringing it up to Canada where he has a summer home on Georgian Bay. The boat I don't think ever saw 70 MPH as it was heavy and underpowered with trip 900's I believe. Steve is not a speed demon so that worked for him. As mentioned, he ended up donationg it to charity and Jim Earle sold it to another guy that I do not know. He used it very little , had some problems that I do not have first hand knowledge about, and had Jim re list it I believe. That's about all I know but can put you in touch with people that are in the know on this boat if seriously interested.
Bob

Would you have any other pictures of it? At the moment, i have my hands full with a MiniHawk.

Bobthebuilder 01-26-2010 10:18 PM

[QUOTE=craig anderson;3032367]

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder (Post 3032311)
It was an interesting boat. All black wath an all red interior. When Steve bought it I went with him to Mark Adam's warehouse in Ft Lauderdale to check it out. Mark took us out for a water test and we were stopped by the Florida Marine Patrol while idling out of the harbor. It had no current registration and Mark was given a ticket. Anyway Steve ended up buying the boat and brought it over to Marco Island for a while before bringing it up to Canada where he has a summer home on Georgian Bay. The boat I don't think ever saw 70 MPH as it was heavy and underpowered with trip 900's I believe. Steve is not a speed demon so that worked for him. As mentioned, he ended up donationg it to charity and Jim Earle sold it to another guy that I do not know. He used it very little , had some problems that I do not have first hand knowledge about, and had Jim re list it I believe. That's about all I know but can put you in touch with people that are in the know on this boat if seriously interested.
Bob[/QUOTE/]

Wow!!! Too bad...it was listed, or has been, listed for the longest time. Awesome looking "old school" Cig, but I guess as you said underpowered. The price drop was amazing! Think the listing said trip 750 Hawk's.

Aside from that....MORE STORIES!!!

p.s. Do/did you own Predator? I think I have a couple of nice pics from the Lake Ontario run a few years ago where the 3 sisters use to be.

I stand corrected, yes trip 750's not 900's. I will edit my post to correct. It needs 900's at least.

Yes, did own PREDATOR. That would have been the yellow / orange one which I sold in 2008 and had new 50 NT diesel built ( blue). See avitar for both boats. Every summer I spend some time at Port Credit near Toronto. That is only an hour from my home in Waterloo, ON.