Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Offshore bedtime story # 4 – Bobthebuilder's solo 3 day circumnavigation of Florida >

Offshore bedtime story # 4 – Bobthebuilder's solo 3 day circumnavigation of Florida

Notices

Offshore bedtime story # 4 – Bobthebuilder's solo 3 day circumnavigation of Florida

Old 01-29-2010, 07:03 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Offshore bedtime story # 4 – Bobthebuilder's solo 3 day circumnavigation of Florida

Well now that my pole climbing adventure thread and others have run their course and I have made a complete fool of myself, it is time for a more serious offshore adventure.

The year was 1992 and my Cigarette Top Gun was less than a year old. I loved that boat and would spend time on it when I could. At that time I was still very involved in my building business' and looked to my offshore boating as a stress reliever. I know some will laugh at that comment. I was always curious about the cross Florida Okeechobee Waterway and planned a 525 mile circuit that would take me across the Waterway and Lake O, down the east coast, thru the Keys and back up Florida's west coast to where I had started at Marco Island. I knew this trip had to be short as at the time was limited with my business interests. My Canadian friends all had commitments of some kind and could not fly down to Florida with me. Probably because I did not give then enough notice. I'm rather impulsive and when I get something in my head I must get on with it ASAP.

Day 1:

I'm up in time to catch an Air Canada 7:00 AM flight to Miami. I arrive at MIA at 10 AM, jump in a rental car and am on Marco Island by noon. I call Dave at Goodland Bay Marina and ask him to pull the Cigarette out of the rack, drop it in the water and have it fuelled and ready to go in an hour. While he prepares the boat, I grab a bite to eat and throw some clothes into a travel bag and head for the marina. My goal that day was to get to Clewiston on Lake Okeechobee. An hour and a half later, I have run up the coast, under the Sanibel Bridge an enter the Caloosahatchee River. Soon I'm heading east and make a short stop at Ft Myers. From there to Clewiston there are 3 locks and that is going to take some time. I wasn't sure how I would manage to lock through by myself but would figure it out. Some of that part of the Waterway is a bit scenic but much is just a big ditch with embankments obstruct any sort of view. It is dark when I arrive at the Roland and Martin Marina and Resort in Clewiston. After securing the boat, I find that there are no rooms available. I did not call ahead because .... well, that would just make too much sense. I love to wing it as you can tell. It always seems to work out and just adds to the challenge and the excitement of the moment. I was told there was a motel in town and that they had rooms. It was a short walk and I come upon this dingy place with security bars on the windows. Now most will know, this is just not my style but I was here, tired and just wanting a bed to crash in. I did not sleep much that night and realized I would have been better off staying on the boat.

Day 2

After a quick, early morning coffee and muffin it's back to the boat for the continuation. I start "No Fear" and if anyone in that village was not yet awake, they were now! LOL. That boat was quite loud. Soon I am crossing Lake Okeechobee and re enter the Waterway and the lock on the east side of the lake. From there more canal and river running as well as another lock before arriving in Stuart where I took a break for lunch. From Stuart, I would head south to Ft Lauderdale using both the Intra Coastal Waterway ( ICW ) and also running offshore. Ft Lauderdale was a welcome sight and I arrived at Pier 66 before dark. The first order of business is to re fuel so I would not be delayed the next morning. Now I am feeling much better, having a great hotel and marina to secure the boat. I recall enjoying a swim in the pool and soaking in the hot tub. After showering and cleaning up I treated myself to a steak dinner. I wanted to check out this Shooters place I had heard about but I was pretty well done for that day as well. I slept very well that night.

Day 3

Again it's up early, a bite to eat and off I go. There is 250 miles of water to cover today and a flight to back to Toronto to catch if all goes extremely well. Running south offshore, I pass the multitude of beach front hotels, eventually clearing Miami and Key Biscayne. I am fascinated by Stiltsville as I make my way thru the channel and into Biscayne Bay. From there it's south and into the Keys. The Cigarette was equipped with a Raytheon loran chart plotter which was a big help but far short of what we enjoy today with GPS and superior charts. Anyway, between that and sometimes referencing my paper charts I made it thru the Keys safely, eventually heading north-west across Florida Bay to Cape Sable. With the lower mainland in view it was now a piece of cake. Not much navigating to do, just stay a few miles offshore and follow the coastline north until the high rise condos of Marco Island come into view. Eventually I pick up Coon Key and leave the Gulf for the short ride into Goodand Bay Marina. I was home, well sort of I guess. It was past mid afternoon and time was getting very tight but so far so good. From there a taxi took me to the Hertz rental office where I picked up a car, short stop at the condo for a shower and change of clothes. Then it's off to Miami arriving at the Air Canada desk barely 30 minutes before departure. While my boarding pass is being done up, one counter girl said to the other, “is everyone checked in now?” The girl waiting on me replies with a look, "they must be, Mr Barnhart is here". LOL I think there is something in their computers about the time I ran thru the Calgary airport and down the jetway to find the plane door closed. I knocked on the door and they let me in !! Too funny.

So I settle into my seat and this guy next to me is being chatty. I don't want to chat, I just want to sleep. He was an architect from the Turks and Caicos I recall and was on his way to Toronto on business. He was curious about me and why I was in Florida. Knowing he could never understand, but wanting to be polite, I respond with the short version of my circumnavigation of lower Florida. He looked at me in disbelief and said "so tell me, just what do you do to relax?" With that I laughed and put my head back and caught some sleep. By 10 PM I land in Toronto, clear the airport, and am home back in my own bed by 11:30 PM. Did that feel good.

So that is the story of my 3 day solo circumnavigation of southern Florida including travel between my home in Waterloo, ON and Florida. I hope I did not tire any one out with it. Nite.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails -marco-clewiston-stuart-fll-marco.jpg  

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 01-29-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I often take long trips by myself to unwind and everyone laughs at me . If I have to explain they wouldnt understand type of thing.

Thanks for the story ... Keep'em coming
Old 01-29-2010, 08:01 PM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know Bob .... I travel well

Ive been involved in a few trips like that ... two of them included Florida ..... one was just a drive to Hershey PA to get candy bars then turn around and come home ... The Florida trips were the best tho
Old 01-29-2010, 08:26 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by live wire
I often take long trips by myself to unwind and everyone laughs at me . If I have to explain they wouldnt understand type of thing.

Thanks for the story ... Keep'em coming
I have a funny Valentines Day story and will be posting that on....you guessed it - Valentines Day. There is some scary stuff in that one as well.
Bob
Old 01-30-2010, 06:49 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

The "Bob chronicles" I'm hoping to have some adventures like that one day!
Old 01-30-2010, 07:34 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a nice long cool trip.. Jamie / Lakeside
Old 01-30-2010, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Ya know what Bob....I find myself impatiently waiting for the next adventure. You have a knack for telling stories. Keep them coming.
Eddie
Old 01-30-2010, 11:53 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Ya know what Bob....I find myself impatiently waiting for the next adventure. You have a knack for telling stories. Keep them coming.
Eddie
Not sure what the next one will be but will write some more as long as my offshore friends are enjoying it. Lots of material to choose from yet. I will be posting a Valentines Day adventure story on of coarse Valentines Day which I am told is the 14th. Also Giving thought to more trips like Cincinnati to Mobile Alabama just as a hurricane arrives, Marco to New Orleans where I break the hull of my Top Gun, Norfolk, VA to Miami or some everyday stuff like sinking my 419 Formula or the time I tried to see how close I could get to the top of Niagara Falls in my single engine Sea Ray Pachanga. Also some hair raising experience's running thru the fog. Some of it just might keep you from sleeping that night!! LOL
Old 01-30-2010, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts

do the same thing on my Bike or just cruise to a quiet spot and spend the night on the hook alone - ahhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 01-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am telling you again Bob....... it sounds like there is a book or two in you....... keep up the stories...... they are helping the winter go by a little easier.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.