Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
what kind of fire extinguisher should I get? >

what kind of fire extinguisher should I get?

Notices

what kind of fire extinguisher should I get?

Old 04-16-2002, 03:32 PM
KN
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question what kind of fire extinguisher should I get?

Hey guys looking to get a chrome 2.5lb extinguisher and a billet aluminum bracket. Should I get dry chemical or Halon (twice the cost, Rex marine has them available) is there any advantage of Halon over a dry chemical. I see Eddie, Rex, Teague and CP Performance marine all have brackets available, what do you guys have, they all seem to be a little different. Thanks

Kirk
Old 04-16-2002, 04:06 PM
Charter Member #9/ Moderator
Charter Member

I'm not a fire expert, but I would think if it's for the engine compartment you would want Halon to suffocate the fire. Dry chemical needs to be pointed at the base of the fire and should be used for cockpit and cabin. Any other suggestions?
Old 04-16-2002, 04:14 PM
Registered

5A10BC for hand held. I think Halon is illegal and unavailable now. They have some other stuff for the automatic engine compartment ones. I think jumping overboard and swimming like hell is the best solution. LOL. Or was it 1A10BC, something like that. Make sure its not just a BC type which wont put out wood or paper or anything like that.

Last edited by formula31; 04-16-2002 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-16-2002, 04:23 PM
Registered

Powerboat reports investigated the subject a few months ago. They found that the foam extinguishers were very effective and easy to clean up. I think Kidde made it. It is slightly larger than the chemical extinguisher but more effective, longer lasting and easier to clean. I don't think they make an automatic version for the engine bay.
Old 04-16-2002, 04:48 PM
Charter Member #9/ Moderator
Charter Member

Originally posted by formula31
I think jumping overboard and swimming like hell is the best solution. LOL.
Old 04-16-2002, 05:18 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I work for a fire equipment distributor in Chicago.
First of all Halon is not illegal. It is illegal to manufacture new Halon but not to reclaim and resell. Also if you have an existing Halon system nobody can tell you to get rid of it. Unfortunatly Halon is a CFC therefore an ozone depleting agent. The Montreal protocal has stopped the production of Halon and other CFC (freons etc.)
For a fixed system (one that would bolt into the engine compartment) I would call Sea-Fire or Fireboy they both have new systems utilizing a new agent that was developed to replace Halon 1301 and Halon 1211 that was previously used. The units need to be sized according to the cubic footage of your engine compartment.

On the portable extinguisher side of it. Personally a 2 1/2 lb extinguisher is not going to be large enough to do much unless its a small fire. It will meet the Coast Guard requirements. But is that what you want or do you want to save your life and or your boat.
A couple things to look at as far as extinguishers go is what part of the boat are you going to use them on. Dry Chemical is corrosive, CO2 will deplete the oxygen (therefore don't use it in a confined space where humans could be ex. in the cabin) Foam is very good but extremely messy.

I would get a Fixed system and also either a 5 or 10 lb dry chemical or co2 extinguiher.

I can go on and on. There are many options and costs. It all depends on what you want.

Sorry if I rambled a little.

Mark
Old 04-17-2002, 07:04 PM
Registered

Question

I just checked both my Fire Extinguishers and they are dated 1987.....The year my boat was made. Are they any good or has the powder in them hardened? What is the life of a Dry Chemical unit? Does the C.G. check these dates and can they Expire?....Mike.