Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Formula not up to speed. Help... >

Formula not up to speed. Help...

Notices

Formula not up to speed. Help...

Old 01-31-2010, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easiest First!!!!! Change To Good Known Props!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2010, 07:13 PM
Registered

i would double check the timing, and if that is ok, try swaping carbs from one engine to another, to eliminate a carb issue..
Old 02-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 336Formula
Bottom of boat is very clean. Up to about 4,000 rpm, throttle is in same position for both engines. When you push up on both throttle levers at same time the port engine revs up to about 5300 and starboard only to about 4700. So you have to back off the port engine throttle to bring it back to 4700 but does not seem like the boat slows down that much.

BTW, thanks for all the attempts so far.
sounds like prop slip
Old 02-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

drive showers
Old 02-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by AIR TIME
sounds like prop slip
ditto. I had a 21p mirage on my boat for a few minutes after i got my new power in it. the pvs caps were missing and it would get on plane and it would slip when i cracked power to it. it was the incorrect prop i just wanted to see what it would do. i woud switch to known good props and then if that does not work check timing and swap the carbs from engine to engin to eliminate that concern. the beauty of having two engines is that they are great for diagnostics. the ultimate donor.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

We put the drive in forward gear and attempted to turn the prop ccw. Prop would not turn.

Unfortunately the boat is currently on the lift having some touchup paint work being done. And I cannot put it back on water until this weekend.

I have a boat mechanic from a local shop telling me that it is the engine coupler failing. He says that Friday he will pull the engine, replace the coupler and if it does not solve the problem, I owe him nothing. He is very confident in his ability so I guess we will see what happens this weekend.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Registered

We put the drive in forward gear and attempted to turn the prop ccw. Prop would not turn.

Unfortunately the boat is currently on the lift having some touchup paint work being done. And I cannot put it back on water until this weekend.

I have a boat mechanic from a local shop telling me that it is the engine coupler failing. He says that Friday he will pull the engine, replace the coupler and if it does not solve the problem, I owe him nothing. He is very confident in his ability so I guess we will see what happens this weekend.
I like his confidence.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

If it's a bravo coupler they don't slip. It is a all or nothing. You would see some shavings around it. here's two pictures, one was trashed, prop won't turn at all. The second one is close to failing but you could not tell at all. Worked just like a new one, but not for long.
You can see if the shaft turns it will trash the coupler, no way could it turn the prop and grab at all.
Attached Thumbnails Formula not up to speed. Help...-dsc_6991.jpg   Formula not up to speed. Help...-dsc_7000.jpg  

Last edited by Wildman_grafix; 02-02-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunshadow
Here's a long shot. Could the upper gears on the port side be worn to the point that they slip (or skip) under the high speed load?
NO. They are either good or trashed. You would here all sorts of grinding and the drive would not do a thing.

He may be confident, but not very smart. A coupler may let go slowly............ by slowly, that is a couple minutes at most at higher rpms.. Once it starts to go bad, it takes about 30 seconds before its completely trashed.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Things that need to be done.......................
Verify tach accuracy and speed accuracy
Check timing on both engines
Try a known good set of props
What are the drive gear ratios????

The boat should run about 40mph at around 3000 rpms

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.