If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tyvek Covers

My Boats:
    2005 288 SUNSATION

JUNK = Lesson learned...

IF you want a great DUST cover they work fine, fold up and store neatly,,, BUt if you looking for water repellency and durability FORGET IT... mine actually lasted about 6 months before the rain started leaking through and flooding my cockpit and sun pad everytime it rained... Indoors is even better... but thats it...

I actually just got off the phone with westland, and wish I hadn't gone CHEAP the first time.. I'm getting the shark-skin cover for 325.00.. for a 23 footer... My dad always said,,, you get what you pay for..

There are several material choices that would outlast any tyvek cover. The main thing is a cover that fits the boat like its supposed to ( tight ) and easy to maintain. I sell alot of covers made from Triton and Aqualon. Triton too light for towing but Aqualon good all purpose. Bot are Polyester vinyl coated materials.

Member #154 Platinum Member Indy's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Missing my PowerPlay
    SW CT & Long Island Sound
    Geez...this thread's old!!! I can't even remeber posting it For what it's worth, I went with the Sharkskin cover from Westland and it did the trick. I'd recommend one to anybody storing their boat outside (no snow though). Price was reasonable also, approx $300 I think.

My Boats:
    Hot rods, Hot boats, Beer & more Beer
    Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!
    My friend BadDog has a cover made out of TopGun, which is a heavy grade canvas, for his Baja that is as old as the boat (1989) and is still hanging in there. His boat has been stored outside its whole life, and looks as nice as some indoor-stored boats that I have seen. Downside to the TopGun is that you have to treat it every now and then with a waterproofing (Scotchguard)material.

I have a cockpit cover made out of the Aqualon, and it works very well - very water-repellant and tough material. Downside is that you have to install vents because it does not breathe, which could be a source of water intrusion if they aren't positioned correctly and the wind can blow water into them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12