Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Is spinning props in faster??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/223859-spinning-props-faster.html)

JaayTeee 02-03-2010 08:32 AM

Mine's a little over 1 mph faster turning in.

Prop blowout when coming on to plane
was much worse when turning out.

As far as the docking issues when turning in,
I've found that leaving the drives trimmed
slightly positive helps.....it's still not as good as when turning out, but it's better than if they're trimmed all the way in.

Plum_Crazy 02-03-2010 09:27 AM

I think spinning in is more effective on boats with drives very close together and stepped hulls. On my Sonic 31SS with the drives 35" apart on center and stock 496HO's, I saw absolutely no top speed difference whatsoever. I didn't experience any docking problems, either. But, the only way to know is to try. This is easy with Bravos. Just swap your props and run the sticks in reverse to go forward.

302Sport 02-03-2010 12:43 PM

Has anybody actually seen a decrease in speed spinning in????

BBILL1174 02-03-2010 02:46 PM

This was the response I got from Gar so I am switching mine back to spinning out this spring.

Bill, yes...all the 33 & 28 twin engine I/0's and O/B's run best with the props rotating outboard. Every boat size & model PowerPlay, even the 25's, were delivered this way. You name the combination of power, propeller types & brands, payloads, ocean & calm water conditions, climate, racing, pleasure, etc., and it was tested & proven for years at PP. How the boat running? Gar

302Sport 02-03-2010 03:20 PM

My boat came from pp as a 2 man race boat with staggered #4s on boxes...now it is a side by side set up, with a full cabin, and a pleasure cockpit...so nothing is constant except the 4's and the boxes but they are now side by side

Offshoreracr 02-03-2010 03:55 PM

I was wondering about this with #3 SSM's. I am going to try spinning in this spring. The big pain in the butt is you have to acutally change the drives. It is an 86 Cafe, anybody else with something similar?

302Sport 02-03-2010 04:04 PM

You could swap lowers but I think swapping the drive is easier cause you don't have to mess with the oil and all that....

POWERPLAY J 02-04-2010 08:22 PM

You really need to talk to PP guys that have done this. I've talked to a few about other things and chinewalk or poor handling might come into play! Is your boat the B boat in your avatar? do you have any of the original race parts? I might like to pick them up if you do...

302Sport 02-05-2010 07:32 AM

yeah same boat as in my avatar. everything that could be used when it was changed to pleasure was used, but other than that I dont have any spare parts from when it was the B boat.....