Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Which CARB Barry Grant VS Holley HP >

Which CARB Barry Grant VS Holley HP

Notices

Which CARB Barry Grant VS Holley HP

Old 02-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talk to nickerson, a 950hp holley will flow no where near 950cfm. they told me that the 950hp holley will generally flow less then a 850 marine holley, I dont understand this, but that is what nickerson told me about my 950. So a 950 holley is likely not too much for a 496. A true 950cfm carb might be, but as has been stated, I think the 850BG will out flow a 950HP holley.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 1,490 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by tx911
Talk to nickerson, a 950hp holley will flow no where near 950cfm. they told me that the 950hp holley will generally flow less then a 850 marine holley, I dont understand this, but that is what nickerson told me about my 950. So a 950 holley is likely not too much for a 496. A true 950cfm carb might be, but as has been stated, I think the 850BG will out flow a 950HP holley.
At least you do agree with what I am saying here and admitting to some confussion regarding the subject. If you do a google search it's amazing how many hobbiest are in the same boat. From what I understand is that the 950 HP is more like a 830. I have been told the 950 is a 750 main body with 850 base plate. On the flip side, why does BG way under rate theirs? Marketing ploy???? I realize CFM ratings can vary depending on the engine the carb sits on however you would think all mancufactures would use the same way of measuring flow for realistic comparisons. I think I will take the advise given and call Nickerson. I will at the very least document a range of carb sizes along with their venturi and throttle plate sizes.

I think the question is clear though. If I go with a Holley I need to go with a larger cfm like a 950 HP to get to where I actually need to be or a 750 Barry Grant. Hmmm. I completely agree with Griff (950 way to large) but NOT if your looking at the HP Holley's

http://www.thecarburetorshop.net/bigger2.html

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/holl...bc-118901.html

Last edited by getrdunn; 02-06-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:43 PM
Registered

Now I should ask what would be best for my combo?

Holley 950 HP
Holley 850
BG 750
Old 02-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Registered

Nickerson told me that a 950 HP is a 750 body with a 850 base. I do not understand this logic, but that is what he told me about four days ago, and they have forgotten more about carbs then I know. I think the BG's are not necesssarily underrated, I think they are wet flow tested which give a more realistic flow number, whereas holley does not test this way. Nickerson explained to me that the numbers on the HP holleys are just that, numbers, do not get caught up in the numbers. The only possible problem is that there is not a marine 950 holley and there is a marine 850 BG. I am no expert at carb selection, but I would think that the 850 would be a minimum for your setup, I am not sure about your cam specs, But when I called Nickerson they said that I should be in dominator. I have a 532 with about .632 on lift, cant remember my advertised durtion off the top of my head. Call and talk to Nickerson, they are very helpful, and I am sure they know what they are doing. The only problem I had with them is the price, I am not saying it is not worth it, but I am on a budget, and there setup did not fit into it. Before you buy a carb off the shelf I would give patrick at prosystems a call, you will be amazed at the price difference between him and the other carb builders. A custom setup from him is less than I paid for a quickfuel 950 off the shelf.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Registered

Sounds like you pretty much got the same information from Nickerson as I did with a online search earlier. I was actually doubting what I was reading however now you have pretty much confirmed it. Our builds are very similar. I have less cubes though. My cam is 244-248 / 647-637 on a 111.

So what are you going to do? I'm ready to just go find a couple of older 850 Holleys and call it good. LOL....
Old 02-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage
getrdunn - give champion performance and have your engine specs handy. I forget offhand who does their carbs but they are all custom to your engine. Saves valuable time on the dyno. Last two engines of mine were nearly spot on from the start.

Joe or Ed @ 586.755.7400 Champion Performance Centerline Michigan
Sounds good,

Also I want a ride in your Skater....... As soon as my project I have going on now is complete I plan to move forward. Always wanted a Skater or Apache.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Registered

I have dicided to use prosystems. I am going to order it monday. I talked with Patrick this past week and feel like he offers the best choice in my price range. He is going to set me up with a custom carb, tuned to my engine specs. It will have a holley mainbody with his blocks and plate and flow a true 950 to 1000cfm on a 4150 base. I have had problems with my setup loading up at idle and being generally difficult to keep running around the docks. He said he would do a custom fuel curve to alleviate my problems. He seemed very confident that the carb would run great out of the box, and his quote is less then a new Holley off the shelf.
http://www.prosystemsracing.com/proseries4150.html
Old 02-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tx911
I have dicided to use prosystems. I am going to order it monday. I talked with Patrick this past week and feel like he offers the best choice in my price range. He is going to set me up with a custom carb, tuned to my engine specs. It will have a holley mainbody with his blocks and plate and flow a true 950 to 1000cfm on a 4150 base. I have had problems with my setup loading up at idle and being generally difficult to keep running around the docks. He said he would do a custom fuel curve to alleviate my problems. He seemed very confident that the carb would run great out of the box, and his quote is less then a new Holley off the shelf.
http://www.prosystemsracing.com/proseries4150.html
I will do the same then. Be sure and let him know I will be contacting him. I had the same problem with loading up and getting my carb adjusted etc. fouling plugs and so on. I am pretty much convinced I will need the same attention as you to get optimum performance. May be a little more up front cost however will save in the long run. You chance it and buy a stock carb off the shelf and if it don't work you can only get about half of what you paid for it and then start all over.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and take on the subject.

John
Old 02-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here wt i had to do on my motor . on the dyno we put850 holley no good put a 950 little better ,but to lean didnt sound rigth and a/f was off .i ended up with 1000 holley 97jet and 6.5power vales and bigger needle and seat . now it perfect and a/f are good .. that why i ran it on the dyno .. the only way i do it with out a dyno is if somebody has the same setup as you and they dyno there motor .
Old 02-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bajabob
here wt i had to do on my motor . on the dyno we put850 holley no good put a 950 little better ,but to lean didnt sound rigth and a/f was off .i ended up with 1000 holley 97jet and 6.5power vales and bigger needle and seat . now it perfect and a/f are good .. that why i ran it on the dyno .. the only way i do it with out a dyno is if somebody has the same setup as you and they dyno there motor .
Was that on your blower engine?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.