Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Who get's 'em, and who don't.... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/22410-who-gets-em-who-dont.html)

Dean Ferry 04-17-2002 11:38 AM

Who get's 'em, and who don't....

This should be REAL interesting!:eek:

"Boaters can speed -- with exceptions

Fish & Wildlife examines Barge Canal manatee refuge

By Jim Waymer
FLORIDA TODAY

Boaters will be allowed to speed through a new manatee refuge in the Barge Canal, if they can prove they won't hit or harm the endangered mammal.

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service announced Tuesday plans to allow boaters to apply for an exemption from a slow speed zone through the canal, expected to go in effect in about four months.

The service would issue a letter outlining the conditions under which boaters could go faster than the posted speed limit.

"Are we going to do a blanket exception to every boater in Brevard County, that's not likely," said Chuck Underwood, spokesman for the service in Jacksonville. "We don't know specifically on any given activity what we'd be able to accept."

Sea Ray boats last year asked the service to allow the exemptions so the company can continue to test its boats through the canal.

The service will accept public comment on the issue through June 17. No timeline has been set for establishing the process, Underwood said.

The 3-mile Barge Canal, which cuts through Merritt Island, is a mix of slow speed and 25 mph zones. The entire canal is expected to become a slow speed zone as soon as the service installs warning signs. The service has provided Florida Inland Navigation District with $100,000 to install signs.

The service created new manatee refuges last January for the canal and Sykes Creek.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission created similar zones for both waterways last year that are under legal challenge by a group of Merritt Island residents. The exemption process wouldn't apply to Sykes Creek.

"We want to focus it on one area for now, so we can find out if the process is doable and effective," Underwood said.

He said a rowing group has asked for an exemption to the Sykes Creek zone so motor boats can follow rowers for safety reasons. There are already provisions that allow for exemptions for safety, he said.

The Barge Canal situation is different, Underwood added.

"This does not involve safety, so there is nothing in the federal regulations that allow us to grant an exception. There's no process there," Underwood said.

The service may allow boats with sonar devices, if and when permitted.

"The onus here is on the applicant to tell us what they are going to do to guarantee no (manatee) take."

Under the Endangered Species Act, it is illegal to harm, harass or kill a manatee. Applicants will have to outline in detail how they would prevent doing so.

"If the proper precautions are taken, it might be possible for someone to exceed the speed zone requirements within the protection area and ensure that no manatees are taken," said Dave Hankla, field supervisor at the service's Jacksonville office".

I know I will apply, I've just got to find out where?
MD

BTW, Capt Tom Mcgill has filed a lawsuit challenging this in Fed. Court in Jacksonville. So NOTHING is going to happen until the lawsuit is settled. Man, I HATE our local rag newspaper, they are so liberally biased, it disgusting!:mad: They NEVER print the NON- tree-hugger side of the story!

terrygar 04-17-2002 12:07 PM

Dean, I've been seeing this compromise that was worked out where boaters and tree huggers will make recommendations to fish and lame, what do you think? Is estero bay in south ft myers effected by anything you might know of?
I got my dock in last dec and I'm glad it made it before they close that door again!
Terrygar

Dean Ferry 04-17-2002 12:15 PM

Terry,
Congrats on getting your dock built. As far as a compromise, we'll have to see. So far, there has been NO compromise in the regulations here in Brevard Co. As far as to what the state's plans are for your area, go to
www.savethemanatee.org
and see what they want to do there. Their website is a good indicator as to what the state's next move is, since they have the FFWCC ear!
Good Luck, and hope you get to enjoy your boat in Ft. Myers.
MD

Shane 04-17-2002 02:23 PM

Go Get 'em Dean!

It is one thing to have to fight for your rights, it's a whole other story when you have to fight STUPIDITY! Good luck!

Shane:cool: